My contract for TC

csom_1991

Reaction score
My ideal contract for TC would be:

Current deal extended 2 years for 1st 8 wins

$1M bonus for each win thereafter to be split 50/50 with his coordinator/position coaches
$500K additional bonus for Division Championship (1st place champ only) to be split 50/50 with his coordinator/position coaches
$1M bonus for winning B1G title game to be split 50/50 with his coordinator/position coaches

Assuming this would take 11-2 at a minimum to win the B1G and then lose in the play-offs, TC would earn:

$1.5M
+2M: .5M * 4 (11 - 1 plus B1G championship game)
+.25
+.5M
$4.2M total potential earnings for a B1G championship...which is 33% less than Urban Meyer and less than Harbaugh who have the same expectations (win a B1G title and/or compete for national championship)

Given it is all incentive pay and I assume the U would earn way more than that from a NC run (and that is what this would be), it seems like a good deal all around.

In exchange, I would have TC waive any buyout as we need an escape if he underperforms. Assuming he is an 8 win ceiling, we don't pay any more than we are now and no longer have a buyout.

I know - unrealistic from an AD perspective - they need to be able to plan expenses better than such an incentive laden contract. But, if you work in any high performance expectation business - you know your pay is almost 100% dependent on performance. I don't know why we would approach a coach any differently.

And you'd expect Tracy to take that deal after you announced publicly you're sticking with him?

His contract must state that he has to take clock management classes.

My ideal contract for TC would be:

Current deal extended 2 years for 1st 8 wins

$1M bonus for each win thereafter to be split 50/50 with his coordinator/position coaches
$500K additional bonus for Division Championship (1st place champ only) to be split 50/50 with his coordinator/position coaches
$1M bonus for winning B1G title game to be split 50/50 with his coordinator/position coaches

Assuming this would take 11-2 at a minimum to win the B1G and then lose in the play-offs, TC would earn:

$1.5M
+2M: .5M * 4 (11 - 1 plus B1G championship game)
+.25
+.5M
$4.2M total potential earnings for a B1G championship...which is 33% less than Urban Meyer and less than Harbaugh who have the same expectations (win a B1G title and/or compete for national championship)

Given it is all incentive pay and I assume the U would earn way more than that from a NC run (and that is what this would be), it seems like a good deal all around.

In exchange, I would have TC waive any buyout as we need an escape if he underperforms. Assuming he is an 8 win ceiling, we don't pay any more than we are now and no longer have a buyout.

I know - unrealistic from an AD perspective - they need to be able to plan expenses better than such an incentive laden contract. But, if you work in any high performance expectation business - you know your pay is almost 100% dependent on performance. I don't know why we would approach a coach any differently.

Why do you say "in exchange"? The phrase "in exchange" implies that you're giving him something of value, and he's returning something of value to you, or forgoing something else of value as a concession. Your initial contract terms are horribly slanted in favor of the U, and then "in exchange" he's supposed to waive the buyout, a standard feature of every college football head coach contract in existence? Do you understand how contracts work? Even discussing this contract "idea" would be a total waste of everyone's time. It's supposed to be fair compensation in expectation of fair result, not trying to see how badly you can **** over the head coach.

His contract must state that he has to take clock management classes.

I think that applies to a large percentage of football coaches.

It's not surprising some carry charts with predetermined plays, score scenarios, etc....

I wonder if you gave a blind test of scenarios to a large number of head coaches and OCs if they'd make the "right" calls just off the top of their head.

Top Bottom