My biggest questions for the rest of the B1G season after watching Week 1 (What should we make of the Big Ten West?; Can Minnesota win without Mo?)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per O'Gara:

What should we make of the Big Ten West?​

The West is not off to a great start. The East won 3 of the 4 crossovers and is 6-1 overall thus far, compared to just 3-5 for the West. Nebraska lost to Illinois, which lost to UTSA. Northwestern was clearly overmatched against Michigan State, the team many expect to finish last in the East. Wisconsin had the ball for 43 minutes against Penn State, yet somehow lost.

Aside from Iowa, I don’t feel great about any of these teams in relation to the East. Sure, Wisconsin will be fine, because that defense is elite. But the offense is a mess right now, and it only has 1 game (Eastern Michigan) before playing Notre Dame and Michigan. Minnesota was impressive in hanging in there with Ohio State, but I want to see the Golden Gophers without the adrenaline of playing Ohio State at home on national TV. Purdue did what it had to at home against Oregon State, but after a rough weekend for the Pac-12, I’m not overreacting to that one.

It’s early, but the stereotypes appear to apply to 2021: The West is significantly inferior to the East.

Can Minnesota win without Mohamed Ibrahim?​

All of the optimism surrounding Minnesota’s performance against Ohio State went out the window with the news that the star running back is out for the season with a leg injury. It’s a huge blow after Ibrahim finished second in the country in rushing yards per game last season. The Golden Gophers fed him an FBS-high 28.7 carries per game last year, and Ibrahim got 30 in the opener.

Trey Potts is next in line, and Cam Wiley will be in the mix, too. I don’t want to discount what Ibrahim has accomplished, because the guy is a beast. But I tend to think the Golden Gophers can still have a good season. The offensive line is terrific, and Potts and Wiley have both had good moments in their careers. Plus, Minnesota can lean on QB Tanner Morgan to throw the ball more.

Go Gophers!!

We can win games without Mo, and a lot of them. We probably can't win the West however. Iowa looked really good, and Wisconsin is still a favorite over the Gophers until we actually beat them again.

You don't win the west if you get swept by those two teams.

Top Bottom