My BIG 'dislike' rankings

Crosby

Reaction score
Disclaimer... This will be a poor thread. But I am bored and just waiting for football to start.

I'm wondering how people would rank the programs in the current BIG (so not including UCLA or USC). Number one through the rest, in order, from programs you like the least to maybe those you actually think are ok. Here are mine.

1) Wisconsin
2) Michigan
3) Iowa
4) Ohio State
5) Nebraska
6) Purdue
7) Michigan State
8) Penn State
9) Maryland
10) Rutgers
11) Illinois
12) Indiana
13) Northwestern

1) Wisconsin
2) Iowa
3) Ohio State
4) Nebraska
5) Michigan
6) Penn State
7) Illinois
8) Maryland
9) Indiana
10) Purdue
11) Rutgers
12) Michigan State
13) Northwestern

1) Wisconsin
2) Iowa
3) Nebraska
4) Michigan
5) Ohio State
6) Penn State
7) Illinois
8) Purdue
9) Michigan State
10) Indiana
11) Maryland
12) Rutgers
13) Northwestern

Iowa has certainly been pushing Wisco for the #1 spot in recent years (especially after that fiasco in 2019). That being said the Badgers will always be #1 in these rankings!

I never used to think about Purdue. Now with negative recruiting Brohm, they would land solidly in my top 4 or 5. Nebraska is a top 3, but would probably be double digits for me if Twitter didn’t exist.

01) Wisconsin
02) Nebraska
03) Iowa
04) Purdue
05) Michigan
06) Ohio State
07) Penn State
08) Illinois
09) Michigan State
10) Indiana
11) Maryland
12) Rutgers
13) Northwestern

Disclaimer... This will be a poor thread. But I am bored and just waiting for football to start.

I'm wondering how people would rank the programs in the current BIG (so not including UCLA or USC). Number one through the rest, in order, from programs you like the least to maybe those you actually think are ok. Here are mine.

1) Wisconsin
2) Michigan
3) Iowa
4) Ohio State
5) Nebraska
6) Purdue
7) Michigan State
8) Penn State
9) Maryland
10) Rutgers
11) Illinois
12) Indiana
13) Northwestern
Not poor at all. Heck of an idea. Most of us I suspect are feeling as you are.

1) Ohio State - Because they are Ohio State and also the BS tOS
2) Nebraska - Still am unhappy for the pistol whip they gave us before they joined conference.
3) Penn St - Sex abuse is not good and not forgiven.

I don't hate Iowa, or Michigan but I would like to win a game against them. I know we have a bad streak with Iowa but as a kid Michigan rubbed my nose in it more.

Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan St, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern are one big lump. Sorry Wisc haters, I just don't care much about them.

Are Maryland and Rutgers really in the conference? Does anybody know?

1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Penn State
4. The rest

1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. Maryland (I absolutely detest their helmets!!}
7. Nebraska
8-14. Everybody else!

As a side note, Notre Dame would quickly join my top 3 if they ever join the B1G

So, like everyone, it's Wisconsin, Iowa, and then everything else. But, I had some more thoughts to share.

1. Wisconsin. Hands down. I want the Gophers to beat them in basketball and hockey, too. I rooted for Duke, Duke, in the national title game a few years back so Wisconsin wouldn't win. It goes beyond just college, I want the Vikings to beat the Packers, the Twins to beat the Brewers and the Wolves to beat the Bucks.

2. Iowa. Wisconsin is still the biggest rival but that whole 2002 situation with the goal posts really drives Iowa up near the top for me. I hate the Hawkeyes so much that I just love seeing them lose. That win Penn State had against them as time expired was a thing of beauty.

3. Nebraska. The Huskers battered the Gophers pretty bad in the 70s and 80s, so seeing their current struggles has been pretty damn great to see. I don't have the same level of dislike toward them as I do with Wisconsin or Iowa, but the history against them and the last decade has made it a team to want to win against every time.

4. Purdue. I wouldn't say I particularly dislike Purdue, but I certainly don't like playing them in football or basketball. The match-ups just feel like they're going to be a grudge match, especially in football with the last three games coming down to the wire, the loss in 2017 and even the close victory back in 2014. I think the fact that there's animosity between Brohm and Fleck has amped this up, too.

5. Penn State. The Bell isn't one of the great trophies in college football, but considering the importance of some of these games and how hard fought they've been, it makes playing the Lions a big deal. Plus, their whole "unrivaled" slogan is annoying. The dislike and bad blood has also increased because of the hockey rivalry that's brewing on the ice.

6. Illinois. My dislike of Illinois is more region-driven. I want the Vikings to beat the Bears, the Twins to beat the Cubs and White Sox, the Loons to beat the Fire and the Wild to Beat the Blackhawks. It's the same story with the Illini, I want the Gophers to defeat Illinois on the hardwood and the gridiron, and my Midwest pride takes a hit when they don't.

7. Maryland. Speaking of the Midwest, I mainly dislike Maryland because they just don't feel like a Big Ten team.

8. Rutgers. Same with Maryland, these are basically tied. Playing either Rutgers or Maryland feels like being dragged to an event by your SO that you don't want to go to, but are obliged to show up.

9. Indiana. I'm kind of indifferent toward Indiana, but it's frustrating how close some of the games have been against them on the football field. Both 2013 and 2018 were way too close for comfort, and it's made me kind of lessened my view of the Hoosiers.

10. Ohio State. I don't hate Ohio State for the same reason I don't hate the New England Patriots, there's simply not much history there. I get they're good, but it's just not enough of a reason to despise them. Do I want the Gophers to win? Sure, but do I want the Buckeyes to lose in bowl season? No.

11. Northwestern. Kind of similar to what I said about Illinois, but I'm mostly just indifferent toward the Wildcats.

12. Michigan. Yes the 2003 and 2015 losses still sting bad. Yes there's a good rivalry on the ice, too. But I feel like this one is more of a friendly rivalry? Maybe it's because Minnesota has the Hawkeyes and Badgers while Michigan has the Buckeyes and Spartans, so there's not much hate left over. There's also a bit more respect, on the ice and the field, because both university's have plenty of national championships in either sport. To be honest, I root for the Wolverines when they're not playing Minnesota.

13. Michigan State. I actually like the Spartans quite a bit, I think their Hail Mary win Vs. Wisconsin has a lot to do with that. I know the Gophers haven't won against them since 2009, but the Spartans been a fun team to watch when not playing Minnesota. Their Outback Bowl Vs. Georgia, the Rose Bowl they played against Stanford and their comeback win against Baylor were entertaining as hell.

Last edited:

1) Wisconsin
2) Michigan
3) Iowa
4) Ohio State
5) Nebraska
6) Purdue
7) Michigan State
8) Penn State
9) Maryland
10) Rutgers
11) Illinois
12) Indiana
13) Northwestern
If you were to have asked me this question 20 yrs ago when MN was in thr struggle to get over the Michigan hump, I'd say MI and IA would be tied for 2nd. Now that rivalry isn't as hateful.

2003:
WI,
MI
IA...
then everyone else

Today:
1. Wi
2.IA
3. NE
(Big gap)
MI then everyone else

1) Wisconsin
2) Michigan
3) Iowa
4) Ohio State
5) Nebraska
6) Purdue
7) Michigan State
8) Penn State
9) Maryland
10) Rutgers
11) Illinois
12) Indiana
13) Northwestern
1. Wisconsin
2. Nebraska
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Illinois
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Ohio St
9. Rutgers
10. Indiana
11. Maryland
12. Penn St
13. Michigan St

1A. F”ing Wisconsin
1B. F”ing Iowa
I cannot differentiate my hatred for these teams. When they play each other the only happy outcome is a massive sinkhole which sucks down both teams and their fan bases.

3. Penn State - I’ve always hated them! Even before they joined! Just like I hated Joe before it was found he harbored a petifile.

4. Michigan - pompous bastards - like Woody Hayes said, “ i went for 2 because i can’t go for 3!”

5. Nebraska - Champions in their own minds

6. Indiana - they fired Bobby Knight. Do I need another reason?

7. Illinois - their current coach used to coach Wisconsin which is only reason they are this high.

8. Purdue - coach is a dink

9. Maryland - uniforms more than anything.

10. Michigan State - how did a school that employs Izzo get this far down the list?

11. Northwestern - they occasionally annoy me, but not much.

12. Ohio State - the THE thing is annoying and they did fire Woody. But they beat the hell out of Michigan and that is not bad at all.

13. Rutgers - aside from we don’t play them enough. What’s to dislike?

I don't understand all the hate for Nebraska. Their coach is a tool but otherwise I don't really have any reason to hate them.

I don't understand all the hate for Nebraska. Their coach is a tool but otherwise I don't really have any reason to hate them.
It's the most prestigious trophy we play for besides the axe.
Their coach is a tool.
Proximity.
It's generally a close matchup.

That said, their fans are great.

1. wisconsin - no question. I hate everything about that school and their fans.
2. Iowa
3. Purdue - but only while Brohm is there

everyone else

It's the most prestigious trophy we play for besides the axe.
Their coach is a tool.
Proximity.
It's generally a close matchup.

That said, their fans are great.
Hmm. I'm not sure that we play Nebraska for a trophy. Your other points are all accurate IMHO. My dislike also stems from the beatdowns in the 80s.

1-Wisconsin
2-Wisconsin
3-Wisconsin
4-Wisconsin
5-Wisconsin
6-Wisconsin
7-Iowa
8-Iowa
9-Iowa
10-Iowa
11-Iowa
12-Iowa
13-Everyone else
That is what I was thinking.
Hmm. I'm not sure that we play Nebraska for a trophy. Your other points are all accurate IMHO. My dislike also stems from the beatdowns in the 80s.
Only the fan favorite...
20141122_142250.0.0.jpeg

Wisconsin and Iowa as the top 2 of course. Purdue is up there a bit because of Brohm and how the local media fell in love with him after the 2017 season. Beating him 4 times in a row since then has eased the hate a bit, and the fact that Iowa struggles so much against him is nice. Just hope we keep winning those matchups.

Weirdly it seems like the worse Nebraska gets, the more the rivalry heats up. They seem to hate Fleck more than the average college football fan, probably feel their program is just better than ours and they deserve to beat us. It was friendlier when they could pat us on the head for beating them once or twice a decade. Too young to remember them destroying us in the 80’s, so no real ill will for that.

Don’t really hate Illinois, but I don’t care for Bielema, and don’t want to start any losing streak against him as we’ll have to start hearing about how “Bielema still owns the Gophers.”

I kinda like seeing Michigan lose to Michigan State. Seeing Ohio State win the conference almost every year gets a little old. It would be more fun if they weren’t so far in front of everyone else. Even here we talk about winning the division, not the conference, because beating Ohio State just isn’t seen as a serious or attainable goal.

Hard to hate Indiana because they barely ever win anything.

Nothing much against Maryland or Rutgers, though I think we actually have a losing record to Maryland, and they’ve beaten us a couple times when they probably shouldn’t have.

I have never understood the Nebraska hate on GH. It feels like some people hate them more than WI or IA around here. I mean I absolutely love beating them, but I don't feel any hatred.

I hate Nebraska because I hate their fans and the way the continually look down on Minnesota like we're some day hoping to be as good as them as if we never will be.

It's disgusting.
It's a level of arrogance displayed that has no recognition of reality.

Top Bottom