My Ben Johnson appreciation thread

I much as I despise Wisconsin I don’t believe Bo lucked into Decker or Kaminsky Decker was a five star instate guy they recruited hard. Kaminisky was an under the radar guy that might better fit your analogy . Bo did have the Devin Harris , Alando Tuckers types to supplement his role players.
Fair point on Dekker. I'm guessing if he didnt play for his dad on a small lutheran school he probably would have been recruited harder by the blue bloods. Or maybe they just knew he was 100% Wisconsin and didn't push the issue.

I loved what he said in the post game on Kfan.

He called a couple plays for Payton which worked then said he tried to call a play for someone else and Payton gave him that look and he said ok and went back to Payton.
Coach: "We're going to run the picket fence and get Charlie Daniels in the corner for a 3"

Payton:
1642969091712.png

Coach: "We're going to run the picket fence and get Willis in the corner for a 3"

Last edited:

Fair point on Dekker. I'm guessing if he didnt play for his dad on a small lutheran school he probably would have been recruited harder by the blue bloods. Or maybe they just knew he was 100% Wisconsin and didn't push the issue.
Decker committed early. That’s why, but they thought they had a chance with him, he would’ve been pursued. Decker was a top 20 kid in his class

That Wisconsin recruiting window was the biggest lightning strike I’ve seen for a development focused program. Bo gets credit for identifying, developing, and coaching those guys to back to back final fours. But as someone who watched the badgers closely for 20 years up to that point, the timing of that roster assembly will never cease to amaze me. Four guys that turned into all-American talent who all stuck around for multiple years:

- Bo turns a 3-star Kaminksy into an all American by his junior year.
- An 5 star idealized system player at the wing arrives instate and commits early
- Koenig emerges in state as a 4 star point guard and was perhaps the most clutch player ever to play at UW. That kid had ice in his veins.
- Bo wins a commitment from a four star pf who turns into Marcus Landry production level but as the fourth offensive option.

Just the same, though, the Bo years were a torture chamber of tournament disappointment until this group came together. BJ has given me a lot of hope, but it still might take years with a couple of ups and downs to get to a point of sustained success. My motto isn’t “instate recruiting” like some of you, but if BJ is going at this like Bo did, it will help that we have the frequent 4 star talent growing up in the neighborhood. Still need to supplement with the right pieces elsewhere and at the right time though!

Decker committed early. That’s why, but they thought they had a chance with him, he would’ve been pursued. Decker was a top 20 kid in his class
Yeah he was not under the radar. He may have ended up higher than tokoto even? I think he was UW all the way and everyone else out of state was fighting over JP Tokoto.

0.0% of the following is trying to rain on anyone's parade, please believe me.

Just also want to throw some love towards Thorson. And certainly the rest of the staff, as well.

But Ben and Dave in particular, I think you have both of those guys who are really committed to returning the Gophers to the Clem Haskins days, with all their heart.

Top Bottom