Mutaf?

peachpages

Reaction score
Does Trump's decision to block new international students from coming to this country affect David Mutaf and his scholarship? Any answers out there?

Does Trump's decision to block new international students from coming to this country affect David Mutaf and his scholarship? Any answers out there?
I believe that got nixed? Bueller, Bueller, anyone?

They have issued a new restriction on incoming international "new students" (first year students). They can't get in the country if they are only taking online classes.

They have issued a new restriction on incoming international "new students" (first year students). They can't get in the country if they are only taking online classes.
So it appears the U will have to "invent" at least one non-online class for Mutaf to take to get around this new directive. Hey, Gopher Lady, any insight into this problemo?

Another issue that Mutaf and every new international student are facing is whether they can obtain the student visa to enter the U.S. The U.S. Embassy page for Turkey states that passport services are limited and contingent on a number of factors. If college basketball proceeds on a normal schedule this year (a big, big if), I wouldn't be optimistic about Mutaf being a part of the team this season. It might not be until second semester that he's able to get onto campus.

I don't see how that's any more reasonable, fair, or legal than the previous attempt at blocking all international students from returning to schools that have online only classes.

Hope the schools sue again.

This is utterly ridiculous all of these artificial restraints that they are putting on these players and others. This serves no real purpose.

This is utterly ridiculous all of these artificial restraints that they are putting on these players and others. This serves no real purpose.
It kind of makes sense to me.

trump wants schools open
Schools don’t want to open.
Trump can pressure schools to be more open by hurting their bottom line

Schools can sue over fake, unconstitutional restrictions. (y)
Student visas are no where mentioned in the constitution.
They can sue that it is a violation of federal statute but in no way is it a violation of the constitution

Student visas are no where mentioned in the constitution.
They can sue that it is a violation of federal statute but in no way is it a violation of the constitution
Sure it is. People bend the vauge words of the constitution to fit their agendas, all the time.

Sure it is. People bend the vauge words of the constitution to fit their agendas, all the time.
You have no idea what you’re talking about in this case. No lawyer with a brain will argue it is unconstitutional.

Even if some administrator in the news says that it is unconstitutional...that’s not what that administrator’s lawyer is arguing in legal briefs

No it does not make sense. Using students as pawns in a political argument is juvenile and risks the health of innocent people.
I didn’t say it was right. I said it makes sense. If you can’t see the political strategy behind it I don’t know what to tell you.

I think it was a bad move politically and otherwise. They agree with me as they are walking it back now.
I could’ve told them weeks ago it wouldn’t play that well.

Where are you seeing a walk-back of the current standing clarification?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ational-students-cant-take-all-online-courses

However, while one expert noted a lack of clarity on this point, the guidance issued Friday by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program seems to affirm that new international students may enroll in hybrid programs consisting of a mix of in-person and online courses, as long as their coursework is not "100 percent online." It also says that students will not be at risk of deportation if their institutions switch from an in-person or hybrid mode to an online-only mode in the middle of the term due to the pandemic.

Where are you seeing a walk-back of the current standing clarification?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ational-students-cant-take-all-online-courses

However, while one expert noted a lack of clarity on this point, the guidance issued Friday by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program seems to affirm that new international students may enroll in hybrid programs consisting of a mix of in-person and online courses, as long as their coursework is not "100 percent online." It also says that students will not be at risk of deportation if their institutions switch from an in-person or hybrid mode to an online-only mode in the middle of the term due to the pandemic.

Aren't varsity sports one credit classes?

If they are, the practices are in person classes. Therefore, no problem.

I didn’t say it was right. I said it makes sense. If you can’t see the political strategy behind it I don’t know what to tell you.

I think it was a bad move politically and otherwise. They agree with me as they are walking it back now.
I could’ve told them weeks ago it wouldn’t play that well.
If you mean that you can see the warped logic, then yes, but it still doesn't make sense.

They walked back the stupid requirement for all international students and then issued one for only new incoming international students. Total incompetence!

If you mean that you can see the warped logic, then yes, but it still doesn't make sense.

They walked back the stupid requirement for all international students and then issued one for only new incoming international students. Total incompetence!
Honestly I don’t mind the new policy. Should we really be admitting New international students right now from countries that wouldn’t allow us citizens to enter?

I’m not sure what federal statues says on if the new policy is valid...but I’m not sure everyone agrees with you on whether it’s good policy

If you’re making some silly statement about China ... you’d rather prevent extremely talented and skilled engineers, scientists, and other grad students, that make up like a third of our grad students in those areas at Big Ten schools, from coming here and then being employed in the US (many opt to stay here rather than return to China)??

Well, rest assured, that ain’t gonna happen.

Seems pretty reasonable. If you are not taking classes here at the Twin Cities Campus (in person) - stay home.

But.. but... but

NO, just stay home - I have 2 college students at home who are never on campus - no need. You can do the same. Come here next year when things are more normal. This is not a big right wing conspiracy.

Of course I would like to see some basketball this year and hope he can make it. They could ask for the State Department to "carve out" authorization or the U could just get creative and add a "Welcome to America" class for those who need it. To be honest - I would not hold my breath for clueless U leadership.

If you’re making some silly statement about China ... you’d rather prevent extremely talented and skilled engineers, scientists, and other grad students, that make up like a third of our grad students in those areas at Big Ten schools, from coming here and then being employed in the US (many opt to stay here rather than return to China)??

Well, rest assured, that ain’t gonna happen.
Currently new US students would not be allowed to study in any country in the EU in the fall

Are those European countries not issuing new visas guilty of the same thing?

Currently new US students would not be allowed to study in any country in the EU in the fall

Are those European countries not issuing new visas guilty of the same thing?
They’re protecting themselves from cv19 infection risks, because the US has been a POS when it comes to controlling the spread of the disease. Makes perfect sense.

China’s outbreak has been well under control for months. Makes zero sense.

Also, what does it have to do with Turkey??

They’re protecting themselves from cv19 infection risks, because the US has been a POS when it comes to controlling the spread of the disease. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah, all the whistle blowers have been executed. China's got it all under control. ;):rolleyes::eek:

You're gullible if you trust any of China's fake Covid-19 reports that they've released. They could've significantly lowered virus cases worldwide if they acted on the whistleblower's reports instead of silencing him. It's debatable that the CCP should be charged with crimes against humanity for what they did and failed to do but I digress.

You're gullible if you trust any of China's fake Covid-19 reports that they've released. They could've significantly lowered virus cases worldwide if they acted on the whistleblower's reports instead of silencing him. It's debatable that the CCP should be charged with crimes against humanity for what they did and failed to do but I digress.
I'll wait here for you to link to a credible report from a western reporter inside China that they haven't opened the country back up and that cv19 cases have halted.

Obviously you're going to choose to believe whatever you want to believe, regardless that no evidence exists to support the fake conspiracy hypothesis.

Also, again, what does this have to do with Turkey?

Top Bottom