MSU's Chris Rucker leaves jail Tuesday, Dantonio letting him play Sat.

This is just weird. A kid gets put on probation, breaks probation, gets thrown in jail for 8 days, and then the coach says he can play if he wants to the day he gets out of jail? This after the coach institutes a "zero-tolerance" policy?

If this kid comes to IC on Saturday, get ready for a lot of jailhouse costumes.

Brewster might still be hanging in there if he had the same suspension policies...

What is funny is that Dantonio talks up his "zero tolerance".

Brew might have made it to the end of the season if he had Theret against SDSU. In retrospect, just as well, though.

Rucker was one of the players suspended for last year's bowl game, so it's not like this should be that much of a surprise. Future NFLer B.J. Cunningham, who is having another nice season for the Spartans, also had to sit out the bowl game last year.

I guess it's not just here.

This is silly. Why bother with the rationalizations when the issue is clearly they need him in Iowa City. Mark D would be better off following Henry Ford IIs motto when he got a DWI driving with a woman who was not his wife, "Never explain, never complain".
As far as journalists go, morality is cheap when you have no skin in the game.

I have no problem for Dantonio's decision.

Michigan State punished him for his previous offense (the fight in December). The justice system just put him on probation.

Now his incremental crime is a DUI. He missed the last 2 games for Michigan State. The unwritten standard punishment throughout CFB for a DUI seems to be 1-2 games. The justice system is punishing him more harshly because they were lenient the last time. I don't see any reason to hold him out for a third.

I have no comment on the zero tolerance policy because I think zero tolerance is stupid. You need to punish according to offense and history and claiming zero tolerance is also stupid IMO.

To me, the irony in all of this is that Rucker isn't all that good. He's the guy we torched multiple times in last year's game here. He's the guy who gave up McNutt's game-winning TD last year vs. IA in East Lansing. I could see it if he was really, really good. But, he's just an average to slightly above average Big Ten defensive back. Why take the heat to add him?

Dantonio says it's not about making the team better, it's about doing the right thing for the kid. Break probation with an OWI, go to jail for 8 days, and the right thing for you to do is play football 3 days after getting out of jail.

Top Bottom