MSU vs PSU on Thanksgiving Friday

Minnesota was scheduled to play their regular season finale against Nebraska on Black Friday for 2020 and 2021, but the schedule changed with COVID. We also used to end our season with Iowa sometimes in the 2000’s.
As recently in 2012 & 2013 the Gophers ended with Michigan State.

Perhaps the Gophers will get to play Sparty in Detroit sometime, or the West Bank.

NFL/Vikings bumped the Prep Bowl this year because the Vikings played Thanksgiving night and they couldn't clean and flip the arena for a 10am game the next morning. They pushed the Prep Bowl back a week. I'm not a fan of the Prep Bowl getting bumped.

Maybe 2024 will be planned a little better and TV deals will be finalized. MSV/PSU seemed to be a appeaser to NBC in deal negotiations.

Why would any Black Friday game have to be indoors? I'm confused. The Gopher-Badger game has been played outdoors on Thanksgiving Weekend for awhile now and finished in the dark a lot.
That's the stink that coaches and Universities are putting up. The B1G doesn't like to play night games in November. They don't want college kids being irresponsible with alcohol all day and then freezing in a stadium and staff/workers dealing with it.

I don't really care when or where they play, but a change up here and there can be fun.

Sorry but this is fan fiction.

You'll never be able to prove that it was the cold/snow itself that drove ratings up. A snowy game between two crappy teams that have no shot at the playoffs does nothing ratings wise.

Fan fiction? I never discussed ratings. You proclaimed cold weather games "boring" and they should be played indoors in prime time at NFL stadiums that the Gophers would have to rent.

I suggested cold weather games create great theatre, not necessarily great ratings. Frankly, I don't think the networks care if a MN-WIS would be played at US Bank Stadium or Huntington Bank Stadium or the Fargo Dome. It will draw viewers no matter what.

People are seemingly assuming the Big Ten/NBC forced the Ford Field as a host site. I don't believe that's the case. The Big Ten/NBC clearly pushed the prime time Black Friday game and MSU had to consider everything and chose to do it at Ford Field. Penn State clearly was fine with it. MSU had a lot to consider if they wanted a Black Friday prime time game and decided Ford Field was best. I am nearly certain if Minnesota was pushed and pressed for a home Black Friday game that the Gophers would be hosting it outdoors prime time on their own campus.

NBC is basically promised 4-5 Prime Time games in November. So, the Big Ten is searching for schools willing to host a Black Friday prime time game to help. Those schools have a lot to consider, including weather, safety, fans, etc. MSU stepped up this year. Others will figure out if it makes sense for them in future years. Not all schools will be interested, and likely there are schools NBC isn't all that interested in. Since its the last week of the season with lots of rivalry games, there are probably some games that make sense to rotate through. MN-WIS could fit the bill occasionally. I believe both schools would play at their home stadiums if push came to shove.

There don't have to be a lot of cold weather games in November to fulfill NBC's prime time needs. I am guessing the final Saturday of the season will almost always feature an NBC prime time game between USC-UCLA in a season-closing matchup (which could also be a Black Friday contest). I'm guessing they can find another home game at USC or at UCLA in an earlier November week to use in prime time. Add in a Black Friday game, and maybe some November Saturday nights in Columbus, West Lafayette, College Park, Lincoln, etc. where temps are a tad more mild than Minneapolis, Madison, Ann Arbor, etc., and it probably isn't going to be a big problem.

As a Big Ten and CFB fan, the conference is on an epic streak of bad decisions

Maybe, maybe not.

For the first time in the history of college football, a conference will have three or more games televised every week on national "over the air" TV which is not part of a fee-based subscription package.

This new TV package should be better for the viewer.

The only downside is more games will be streaming-only, but that is the path of everything anyway.

Fan fiction? I never discussed ratings. You proclaimed cold weather games "boring" and they should be played indoors in prime time at NFL stadiums that the Gophers would have to rent.

I suggested cold weather games create great theatre, not necessarily great ratings. Frankly, I don't think the networks care if a MN-WIS would be played at US Bank Stadium or Huntington Bank Stadium or the Fargo Dome. It will draw viewers no matter what.

People are seemingly assuming the Big Ten/NBC forced the Ford Field as a host site. I don't believe that's the case. The Big Ten/NBC clearly pushed the prime time Black Friday game and MSU had to consider everything and chose to do it at Ford Field. Penn State clearly was fine with it. MSU had a lot to consider if they wanted a Black Friday prime time game and decided Ford Field was best. I am nearly certain if Minnesota was pushed and pressed for a home Black Friday game that the Gophers would be hosting it outdoors prime time on their own campus.
I have G4L on ignore. Let me guess, he made up an argument and then asked others to disprove it....and then doesn't accept any facts?

NBC is basically promised 4-5 Prime Time games in November. So, the Big Ten is searching for schools willing to host a Black Friday prime time game to help. Those schools have a lot to consider, including weather, safety, fans, etc. MSU stepped up this year. Others will figure out if it makes sense for them in future years. Not all schools will be interested, and likely there are schools NBC isn't all that interested in. Since its the last week of the season with lots of rivalry games, there are probably some games that make sense to rotate through. MN-WIS could fit the bill occasionally. I believe both schools would play at their home stadiums if push came to shove.

There don't have to be a lot of cold weather games in November to fulfill NBC's prime time needs. I am guessing the final Saturday of the season will almost always feature an NBC prime time game between USC-UCLA in a season-closing matchup (which could also be a Black Friday contest). I'm guessing they can find another home game at USC or at UCLA in an earlier November week to use in prime time.
Half the time that final Saturday USC traditionally hosts ND not UCLA, but I am sure NBC would be just as interested in that game for prime time.

That's of course assuming the schedule stays the same both for USC specifically and in general for the Big 10. The CFB Playoffs could push the entire schedule up a week meaning Conference Championship Games could be Thanksgiving Weekend.

I have G4L on ignore. Let me guess, he made up an argument and then asked others to disprove it....and then doesn't accept any facts?
Spot on but flipped...G4L claiming another poster can't prove something. Having G4L on ignore cuts the total volume of posts out here by like 30%...

Last edited:

You proclaimed cold weather games "boring" and they should be played indoors in prime time at NFL stadiums that the Gophers would have to rent.
If it forces more running the ball and low risk swing/screen passes, it is objectively more boring and the casual fan will quickly lose interest and tune out.

Casual fans make up the bulk of ratings, for any highly-viewed game. Facts of life. If the game isn't going to be a major ratings game, fine, it's mostly fanbases that will watch regardless.

I suggested cold weather games create great theatre, not necessarily great ratings.
OH, that's what it was. I see. So the thing that doesn't matter in the slightest to TV.

Frankly, I don't think the networks care if a MN-WIS would be played at US Bank Stadium or Huntington Bank Stadium or the Fargo Dome. It will draw viewers no matter what.
They care about ratings, period. A blizzard or very cold game won't increase interest and may make the game more boring, driving casual fans to tune out.

People are seemingly assuming the Big Ten/NBC forced the Ford Field as a host site. I don't believe that's the case. The Big Ten/NBC clearly pushed the prime time Black Friday game and MSU had to consider everything and chose to do it at Ford Field. Penn State clearly was fine with it. MSU had a lot to consider if they wanted a Black Friday prime time game and decided Ford Field was best.
I think you're correct, here.

If you look at the article in the Detroit newspaper, they explained the decision was mainly in order to be apart of a major football weekend at the stadium, with the Lions on Thurs, then MSU on Fri, and Michigan high school state tourny on Sat and Sun.

(Though I don't think Penn State would be able to say or do a single iota to stop it moving there.)

I am nearly certain if Minnesota was pushed and pressed for a home Black Friday game that the Gophers would be hosting it outdoors prime time on their own campus.
That's what you want. Let's not go conflating that with "certainty".

None of us rubes on GH are "certain" about a damn thing, because we don't have a shred of knowledge until it's publicly announced.

I am guessing the final Saturday of the season will almost always feature an NBC prime time game between USC-UCLA in a season-closing matchup (which could also be a Black Friday contest).
Ope3 already beat me, but UCLA is not USC football's chief rivalry. That's Notre Dame. Now NBC probably has top choice rights to air that game in prime time regardless if it's being played at USC or at ND. I believe USC-UCLA tends to be a week before.

I'm not so certain that people outside of SoCal care much about that game. But it is a good candidate, I agree.

I'm guessing they can find another home game at USC or at UCLA in an earlier November week to use in prime time.
Maybe. BYU at UCLA might be worthy, but on the other hand again that's a Western game. I would not be surprised if a lot of (casual) CFB fans in the Central and Eastern parts of the country just aren't that aware of Western football brands.

Guess we'll see what they choose and what the ratings are.

Add in a Black Friday game, and maybe some November Saturday nights in Columbus, West Lafayette, College Park, Lincoln, etc. where temps are a tad more mild than Minneapolis, Madison, Ann Arbor, etc.
Temps in USBS are in the 70's. :)

Would be great, on occasion. I'm hoping it happens :)

If it forces more running the ball and low risk swing/screen passes, it is objectively more boring and the casual fan will quickly lose interest and tune out.

Casual fans make up the bulk of ratings, for any highly-viewed game. Facts of life. If the game isn't going to be a major ratings game, fine, it's mostly fanbases that will watch regardless.

OH, that's what it was. I see. So the thing that doesn't matter in the slightest to TV.

They care about ratings, period. A blizzard or very cold game won't increase interest and may make the game more boring, driving casual fans to tune out.

I think you're correct, here.

If you look at the article in the Detroit newspaper, they explained the decision was mainly in order to be apart of a major football weekend at the stadium, with the Lions on Thurs, then MSU on Fri, and Michigan high school state tourny on Sat and Sun.

(Though I don't think Penn State would be able to say or do a single iota to stop it moving there.)

That's what you want. Let's not go conflating that with "certainty".

None of us rubes on GH are "certain" about a damn thing, because we don't have a shred of knowledge until it's publicly announced.

I don't know it for a fact but I believe it to be 100% true that TV Execs do cartwheels when given the opportunity do show bad weather games. Good theater = better ratings.

Also other than severe winds unless the bad weather is truly excessively bad, it does not have much impact on scoring in terms of the NFL. It can affect the kicking game and more turnovers sure, but otherwise not so much.

This article is back from 2018, but still shows not much impact.

Even Iowa at Minnesota last season where the teams put up a combined 23 points, if the temps were much more moderate, I think there is a strong chance the scoring winds up exactly the same, and very little that they combine for more than 31. Not provable, just my gut feeling.

If there was less wind that day, it may have had an impact, as there were some missed FGs as I recall.

I would guess ratings wouldn't move up or down much either way if the game is indoors or outdoors. I can guarantee you television producers would want an outdoor, cold weather game for the theatre of it. Whether that translates to higher ratings, who knows? Probably depends on how the game goes, same as it would for an indoor game. No guarantees an indoor would be more exciting or less exciting, or closer, or higher scoring or lower scoring. That's why I don't think TV people care where the game is happening, other than liking great visual theatre.

Though I don't think Penn State would be able to say or do a single iota to stop it moving there.

Penn State absolutely gets a say in it. First of all, PSU has to change hotel/travel/meals etc., so they would need to be assured they could do that. Secondly, the home team doesn't just get to pick off campus host sites for their games without approval of the visiting team. Penn State could have said no, but obviously Penn State is 100% going to agree to play a "road" Big Ten game that isn't on a Big Ten campus. Northwestern has played "home games" at Wrigley and in Ireland. They needed opponent approval on all occasions for obvious reasons.

If you would just read closely enough, I said "nearly certain." Of course, there are no certainties.

But, I would think a school which took on a lot of debt and invested a lot of money and resources for an on campus football stadium for a total of seven home games, isn't likely going to want to give up one of those precious seven dates. And, especially less likely knowing they would have to pay rent, while potentially giving up revenue for a stadium only two miles from their on campus venue. Like I said, I'm comfortable in saying I am "nearly certain" that Minnesota would play a Black Friday game at Huntington Bank Stadium. Disagree if you must, but I am not interested in debating it any more.

Ope3 already beat me, but UCLA is not USC football's chief rivalry. That's Notre Dame. Now NBC probably has top choice rights to air that game in prime time regardless if it's being played at USC or at ND. I believe USC-UCLA tends to be a week before.

I doubt once USC joins the Big Ten that USC-Notre Dame will be in November unless the Irish join the Big Ten. But, if it is, then that'll be a prime time game for sure. I'm mostly talking about USC-UCLA being the season-closing game when the two California schools join the Big Ten in 2024. That will likely be the rivalry week game to close out the regular season, quite possibly on Black Friday. As I mentioned, Michigan State bit the bullet this year, but games in California beyond this year will be in play for November prime time events.

BYU at UCLA might be worthy, but on the other hand again that's a Western game. I would not be surprised if a lot of (casual) CFB fans in the Central and Eastern parts of the country just aren't that aware of Western football brands.

BYU at UCLA? I am talking for 2024 when USC and UCLA join the Big Ten. There aren't going to be a lot non-conference games in November for Big Ten teams. I am talking a first or second week in November game when UCLA or USC would be hosting a Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska...you name the school. That will likely be a November prime time game. As it stands right now, NBC doesn't hold any rights to USC or UCLA. NBC couldn't televise BYU-UCLA if it wanted to and they don't even play in 2023, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm talking for 2024 and beyond. No discussion of USC or UCLA on NBC can include anything prior to 2024.

Last edited:

I doubt once USC joins the Big Ten that USC-Notre Dame will be in November unless the Irish join the Big Ten. But, if it is, then that'll be a prime time game for sure. I'm mostly talking about USC-UCLA being the season-closing game when the two California schools join the Big Ten in 2024. That will likely be the rivalry week game to close out the regular season, quite possibly on Black Friday. As I mentioned, Michigan State bit the bullet this year, but games in California beyond this year will be in play for November prime time events.
If USC and ND still want to play a regular season ending finale in LA and more importantly if the TV/Broadcast partners want it, why would the Big 10 be against it?

The caveat would be another team (as happens currently with the Pac 10-12) would have to find a non-Conf game (or be Idle), but maybe UCLA could continue their rivalry with Cal which I don't think exclusively ends their season with Stanford.

It would keep the 16 team Big 10 inventory of 8 games over the the 2 day weekend with the potential for 9 if UCLA was the host for whatever game they play.

Also the Playoff might scramble the whole schedule anyway to make Thanksgiving weekend moot, but that is TBD.

If USC and ND still want to play a regular season ending finale in LA and more importantly if the TV/Broadcast partners want it, why would the Big 10 be against it?

The caveat would be another team (as happens currently with the Pac 10-12) would have to find a non-Conf game (or be Idle), but maybe UCLA could continue their rivalry with Cal which I don't think exclusively ends their season with Stanford.

It would keep the 16 team Big 10 inventory of 8 games over the the 2 day weekend with the potential for 9 if UCLA was the host for whatever game they play.

Also the Playoff might scramble the whole schedule anyway to make Thanksgiving weekend moot, but that is TBD.

Agree with all of that.

It seems like in recent seasons it has flip-flopped that the last game for USC is ND for home games and UCLA if it is an away game. Am I seeing that correct?

It seems like in recent seasons it has flip-flopped that the last game for USC is ND for home games and UCLA if it is an away game. Am I seeing that correct?
There's been a few variances, but it has been that way for the most part for several decades.

Top Bottom