MSHSL playoffs Walk ons?

Ole

Reaction score
With the HS playoffs starting up anyone have any insight into potential walk ons? It seems like every year a few players jump up and perform well enough to get some attention.
I was at MV Tartan round 1, Turner from MV has size, I like their MLB too. I heard Buscher from Rosemount had a good game.

my distant cousin plays for Grand Rapids. Shain Powers. He's fast and talented. Big enough for a CB or FS. His offensive stats would have compared favorably last year if the team posted such things, but they don't so he remains a secret.

His plans were to do some camps this summer but hurt his knee early in Track and didn't recover until well through the summer. Thought he'd make a good showing this year in football and maybe get some attention but he broke his arm in the first quarter of the first game of the year. He just got into his half cast and got cleared to play a week or so ago. He is playing primarily as a DB right now due to his cast, with some reps on the O side. His first game back he had a pick, the next game one long catch, and about 6 carries with a twenty yard TD run. I didn't get any report yet from the first sectional against Hermantown. Rapids won the first game of the sections and so he gets at least one more game. He had several picks last year, several TD's both as a reciever and as a RB. Many, many long runs.

He was timed 4.4 three seperate times by his coach this fall. He's a 4.0 student, and he loves to play football and would like to check out the U. He's contacted them but has not heard back. He is hoping to get invited to the South Dakota game.

He's wanted to be a gopher but figured he was destined for a lesser scholarship but with the injuries he's relatively unkown with only Winona showing interest. He's thinking if he has to walk on some where it might as well be the U.

How big is he?

Anyone who runs a legit 4.4 and is over 160lb is a D1 prospect.

Anyone who runs a legit 4.4 and is over 160lb is a D1 prospect.

Right now he is 5'10 and about 175. Still growing. I'm guessing based on family traits he'll be close to 6'0" and 190lbs by the time he's twenty.

He was talking about the U. He meant the SDSU game and thought you would figure it out.

Looks like everyone's got to work on their reading comprehension here.....I can't be the only one who figured this out..

Anyone else have any insight to potential walkons?, I'm assuming some people here watch HS football around the state/have connections to HS programs.

I've been to at least 10 MV football games the last two years. Billy Turner has the frame and the genes to walk-on to the Gophers (Dad played in NFL, brother plays for NIU). There was a rumor that he might get an offer if the Gophers miss on Henderson, but with 6 OL recruits in this class already I don't see that happening. Likely scenario is that he is offered preferred walk-on status. I doubt he accepts though. His dad has said multiple times that he thinks kids should be responsible for paying for their own education so I believe Turner will go to the best school that offers a scholly.

I've been to at least 10 MV football games the last two years. Billy Turner has the frame and the genes to walk-on to the Gophers (Dad played in NFL, brother plays for NIU). There was a rumor that he might get an offer if the Gophers miss on Henderson, but with 6 OL recruits in this class already I don't see that happening. Likely scenario is that he is offered preferred walk-on status. I doubt he accepts though. His dad has said multiple times that he thinks kids should be responsible for paying for their own education so I believe Turner will go to the best school that offers a scholly.

Turner has an offer from the U already, but he is not likely to accept because he wants to play both baseball and football in college and most likely will follow in his brothers footsteps to UNI.

Turner has an offer from the U already, but he is not likely to accept because he wants to play both baseball and football in college and most likely will follow in his brothers footsteps to UNI.

Are you absolutely certain about that? I'm not doubting you, but it seems kind of strange that he would have a U offer this early (as usually only really high-level ones are offered this far out), and Rivals only lists offers from Illinois St. and Northern Iowa.

Dpododoll, according to Turner, he has an offer from the U, so take it for what it's worth...

He also has interest from many other D1 schools including Washington so stay tuned there, but like I said, it's still most likely he ends up at UNI.

We have to learn to not dismiss reports of an offer out of hand. There are a lot of different kinds of offers not all of which are unconditional scholarship offers. An offer could be an invitation to be a preferred walk on, it could be, an offer to take an official visit. Any offer could be conditional, so unless we're looking at a verbatim transcript, we don't know. I just chalk up reports of an offer to, the prospect is talking to the school, I'll let the recruiting services confirm what kind of offer. I don't think it's to early for the U to be making preferred walk on offers. If a kid shows some talent but plays a position already full or is an intriguing late bloomer offering a preferred walk on might keep a kid from accepting a DII scholarship. I like to think that a good walk on program helps make up for the inevitable recruiting mistakes.

Just offer the entire Glencoe-Silver Lake Defense. They've given up a total of 19 points through 9 games and half the time they're playing opponents from Class 4A (they're 3A).

UNI is dropping baseball.

my distant cousin plays for Grand Rapids. Shain Powers. He's fast and talented. Big enough for a CB or FS. His offensive stats would have compared favorably last year if the team posted such things, but they don't so he remains a secret.

His plans were to do some camps this summer but hurt his knee early in Track and didn't recover until well through the summer. Thought he'd make a good showing this year in football and maybe get some attention but he broke his arm in the first quarter of the first game of the year. He just got into his half cast and got cleared to play a week or so ago. He is playing primarily as a DB right now due to his cast, with some reps on the O side. His first game back he had a pick, the next game one long catch, and about 6 carries with a twenty yard TD run. I didn't get any report yet from the first sectional against Hermantown. Rapids won the first game of the sections and so he gets at least one more game. He had several picks last year, several TD's both as a reciever and as a RB. Many, many long runs.

He was timed 4.4 three seperate times by his coach this fall. He's a 4.0 student, and he loves to play football and would like to check out the U. He's contacted them but has not heard back. He is hoping to get invited to the South Dakota game.

He's wanted to be a gopher but figured he was destined for a lesser scholarship but with the injuries he's relatively unkown with only Winona showing interest. He's thinking if he has to walk on some where it might as well be the U.

Winona is an excellent Division II program. There is absolutely NO SHAME in playing for the Warriors. I wish you cousin luck in his college future.

Which UNI? There is no baseball at Northern Iowa...

Winona is an excellent Division II program. There is absolutely NO SHAME in playing for the Warriors. I wish you cousin luck in his college future.

I hope I didn't give the impression he was against going to Winona. Even they haven't offered. Just saying he's got himself so far off the radar he doesn't have a scholarship option at this point with the potential exception of Winona. I love the area too, and it would be great if he ended up there. I would visit to watch a game or two.

Schnoodler if your cousin has the speed it'll show up in his track times and film. A 4.4 40 and some film should be enough for a preferred walk on offer. Now that he's back playing even if it's for a couple games there should be enough film. Remember if he walks on in Div 1 and redshirts he could still transfer down to Div II with 4 years of eligibility. You don't have to sit a year transfering down.

Schnoodler if your cousin has the speed it'll show up in his track times and film. A 4.4 40 and some film should be enough for a preferred walk on offer. Now that he's back playing even if it's for a couple games there should be enough film. Remember if he walks on in Div 1 and redshirts he could still transfer down to Div II with 4 years of eligibility. You don't have to sit a year transfering down.

No film. I mean he doesn't have a personal film. There is of course team film.

Plus he was injured in track. you'd have to go back to his soph season to get track times. I believe he's 11.4 in the 100. But the improvement we were expecting for his Junior year got put on hold so we really don't know. He's a lot stronger this year though so not sure how that translated to his speed. But he's quicker than fast which is opposite of what you usually see.

The whole transfer thing down is kind of what I told him. It's a very low risk chance to take. I wish more kids would consider that. plus you get a year or two of training at the highest levels to take with you when you transfer down. It's almost a no brainer if there is not a scholarship consideration.

No film. I mean he doesn't have a personal film. There is of course team film.

Plus he was injured in track. you'd have to go back to his soph season to get track times. I believe he's 11.4 in the 100. But the improvement we were expecting for his Junior year got put on hold so we really don't know. He's a lot stronger this year though so not sure how that translated to his speed. But he's quicker than fast which is opposite of what you usually see.

The whole transfer thing down is kind of what I told him. It's a very low risk chance to take. I wish more kids would consider that. plus you get a year or two of training at the highest levels to take with you when you transfer down. It's almost a no brainer if there is not a scholarship consideration.

If your cousin's coach contacts the football staff there's a way to submit film. It's a matter of taking the time to edit it make a copy and send it in. I'd be shocked if the U didn't have a PDF they could email the coach on request. I suspect that the video highlights can be submitted via email also.

Rosemount has 2 players that have been offered by NDSU.
Vraa and Busher would look great in Gopher uniforms but only Iowa has had Busher in for a visit at this point. I have seen both of them at Gopher games but I am not sure of the interest level on the Gophers part.

WR Vraa 6-2 205 runs a 4.5 and has great hands and vertical. Best receiver in Minnesota this year.

LB Busher 6-1 215 has started at inside LB for 3 years and has a great nose for the ball. Great tackler and team player. Maybe the best LB in the Lake this year.

They will both play college ball and have started to get more interest as Rosemount goes deeper into the state play-offs. They are both in action Halloween Night at home in Rosemount if you don't have tickets to the MSU game at TCF.

not to be a D but anyone running a legit 4.4 would have offers coming in from all over the place.

not to be a D but anyone running a legit 4.4 would have offers coming in from all over the place.

If only they knew. But seriously there are plenty of guys who are fast that have a small offer list. Believe it or not there are a lot of fast guys out there, the fastest kid in Minnesota last year wasn't offered, and he was a known.

Top Bottom