MSHSL Board approves NIL policy for HS students

I posted about this on the Football page.

The MSHSL has several pages of rules and regulations.

the big one - any use of NIL for a high school athlete may NOT make any mention of their school, logo, nickname or mascot.

So, for example, Spaulding could do an ad for Fred's Pizza, but the ad cannot identify Spaulding as a HS athlete, and it cannot show him wearing his school jersey or posing with the school mascot. Likewise, no use of any MSHSL-approved logo, etc.

so, is a HS kid really going to be that big of a deal that he has endorsement value - when that ad cannot make any reference to his status as a HS athlete?

maybe a Suggs or Holmgren, or Paige Bueckers in HS. but it's not like there is going to be a horde of kids signing NIL deals.

Oh- if you violate any of the MSHSL's regulations - you lose all remaining HS eligibility..........

I posted about this on the Football page.

The MSHSL has several pages of rules and regulations.

the big one - any use of NIL for a high school athlete may NOT make any mention of their school, logo, nickname or mascot.

So, for example, Spaulding could do an ad for Fred's Pizza, but the ad cannot identify Spaulding as a HS athlete, and it cannot show him wearing his school jersey or posing with the school mascot. Likewise, no use of any MSHSL-approved logo, etc.

so, is a HS kid really going to be that big of a deal that he has endorsement value - when that ad cannot make any reference to his status as a HS athlete?

maybe a Suggs or Holmgren, or Paige Bueckers in HS. but it's not like there is going to be a horde of kids signing NIL deals.

Oh- if you violate any of the MSHSL's regulations - you lose all remaining HS eligibility..........
SON good post. When I first read it I thought the end of HS sports. Then I thought it is opportunity to bring talent from other and areas to enhance our local athletes. I'm older and just not sure what to think.

Top Bottom