Mottla out for season

gopherguy05

Section 246 Row 4
Reaction score
In Sid's column from today which Bleed posted, but must have glossed over, Kill confirms Zach Mottla will not play this season after breaking his leg at the end of last season:

“I think things are going well,” Kill said. “We’ve had a lot of injuries, as documented. I think probably some of our most critical situations — [redshirt senior center] Zach Mottla is a young man that broke his leg severely and will not be able to play this year, which is a sad thing for him.

In Sid's column from today which Bleed posted, but must have glossed over, Kill confirms Zach Mottla will not play this season after breaking his leg at the end of last season:

“I think things are going well,” Kill said. “We’ve had a lot of injuries, as documented. I think probably some of our most critical situations — [redshirt senior center] Zach Mottla is a young man that broke his leg severely and will not be able to play this year, which is a sad thing for him.

Since he a senior who has already used his red shirt I wonder if he will apply for a medical wavier for an additional year. Given the severity of his injury I am not sure that would be in his best interest.

That really stinks. Really too bad for Zach. Hopefully he can make a comeback, however unlikely. :cry:

I never thought Mottla was going to play this year. Did you?

I thought it was already a foregone conclusion, due to the severity of the injury and the necessary rehab time, that he'd have to sit out a year.

Although severe at the time, a broken leg can be overcome with...time. Kurtis Foster of the Wild had one of the worst leg breaks in recent memory--left femur broken into 3 pieces and also cracked his kneecap. He was back playing 11 months later.

I would not say he is "done". If he applies for a medical redshirt, he will get one. He's a good student. Whether he can play again will take...time.

It's sad, but not entirely surprising after watching the video his sister (I think) made that was posted here a month or so ago.

Although severe at the time, a broken leg can be overcome with...time. Kurtis Foster of the Wild had one of the worst leg breaks in recent memory--left femur broken into 3 pieces and also cracked his kneecap. He was back playing 11 months later.

I would not say he is "done". If he applies for a medical redshirt, he will get one. He's a good student. Whether he can play again will take...time.

Not all broken legs are the same. Zach's situation has been really slow to heal, he could barely walk during spring ball (months later). I think he is still using a cane. You're right though, it's tough to say someone will never play again, but Zach is in a tough spot. I think he's more focusing on walking right at this moment than he is about playing football again.

I kind of doubt Zach will even apply for a 6th Year of eligibility. He will be done with school and his injury is so severe that it's not a sure thing that he'd want to come back.

That said, Zach wouldn't be eligible for a 6th year regardless. The rule requires that 2 out of the 5 years of the athletes initial eligibility to have been cut off by situations outside of that athletes control. That has been an issue of some debate as to what those circumstances might be (Trevor Mbakwe and Kim Royston), however, the NCAA is pretty clear that a voluntary FR redshirt does NOT apply.

Too bad. I'm guessing he's done. I'd advise him to hang up the cleats too. Walk away while you can.

Top Bottom