Most pressing recruiting needs for MN

Reaction score
and other Big 10 teams according to Kevin Weidl (Scouts Inc).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4422023

He states that one of MN most pressing needs is for a left tackle after this year, but then goes on to state that we only have 1 tackle (Eggen) recruited for this year so far, huh? Gjere? :rolleyes: There's more; also sees a need for linebackers and wide receivers.

It seems a bit baffling to me.

Thoughts?

Go Gophers!!
SK Gopher

and other Big 10 teams according to Kevin Weidl (Scouts Inc).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4422023

He states that one of MN most pressing needs is for a left tackle after this year, but then goes on to state that we only have 1 tackle (Eggen) recruited for this year so far, huh? Gjere? :rolleyes: There's more; also sees a need for linebackers and wide receivers.

It seems a bit baffling to me.

Thoughts?

Go Gophers!!
SK Gopher

It didn't make much sense to me, either. He seems to have missed most of the WRs in this class. Antoine Lewis, I believe, is being recruited as a DB. Nothing about the DL or RBs.

I think we're entering a phase where we don't have great big glaring holes. So we'll probably just see a pretty good balanced class. The one exception is that I would like to see two DT's, or One freshmen and maybe one JC.

Gjere is a flat out OT. This whole article is false. I would say our biggest recruiting needs are DB's, DT's, and DE's and maybe TE with Hagemans recent switch. We already have OL commits enough this year, only room for Seantrel.

Gjere has played guard in high school. Its premature to just pencil him in at left tackle.

To answer the question, need #1 and #2 have to be corner and defensive tackle in my opinion. Carter looks great but lots of question marks. The two guys we have are great but I'd take two more. Beau Allen, please stay home. Please.

Here are my thoughts on the immediate future needs that need to be dealt with with this recruiting class for the Gophers:

1 2 DT's
2 2 CB's
3 2 RB's
4 2 OT's
5 2 LB's

Brewster needs to get Allen and/or Henderson along with Tobi O. to stay home.

Here are my thoughts on the immediate future needs that need to be dealt with with this recruiting class for the Gophers:

1 2 DT's
2 2 CB's
3 2 RB's
4 2 OT's
5 2 LB's

Brewster needs to get Allen and/or Henderson along with Tobi O. to stay home.

I see Brewster getting one of those 3 guys at best and if I had to guess I would think it is more likely that none of the 3 will commit here.

Tobi O should stay. The only other schools he seems really interested in are Notre Dame- who isn't offering- and Nebraska, and I just don't see Nebraska being all that appealing anymore.

I'd say Henderson and Beau are both probably less than 50%, but hopefully we have a good year on the field and Notre Dame sucks ass again.

Tobi O should stay. The only other schools he seems really interested in are Notre Dame- who isn't offering- and Nebraska, and I just don't see Nebraska being all that appealing anymore.

I'd say Henderson and Beau are both probably less than 50%, but hopefully we have a good year on the field and Notre Dame sucks ass again.

I would guess that Tobi O. goes to Nebraska barring no Notre Dame offer since he has already taken two visits there on his own dime and the fact that they are expected to have a good year and picked by most to win the North division. Throw in Pelini's reputation and success as a defensive coach especially compared to Cosgrove and it becomes appealing for a defensive player especially.

I wouldn't mistake Cosgrove's reputation on message boards with real life. He's done a good job of putting players in the NFL over his career, which is all prospects care about. I don't see him being a negative at all recruiting-wise.

I wouldn't mistake Cosgrove's reputation on message boards with real life. He's done a good job of putting players in the NFL over his career, which is all prospects care about. I don't see him being a negative at all recruiting-wise.

I just think it gives them an advantage in recruiting against Minnesota to be able to bring in players that played for both Cosgrove and Pelini and have them talk about then and now and then highlight the struggles he had there which can influence a high school kid. I get the feeling that since he didn't live here in MN his whole life that he isn't opposed to leaving the state. However, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up here but still think the odds are greater that he will not.

Gjere has played guard in high school. Its premature to just pencil him in at left tackle.

I talked to one of their coaches earlier this month. He is going to play a lot of tackle this year.

Like a lot of players, Gjere's development from HS to college may dictate being able to play a different position.

Gijerie

I think he projects as a OG and a redshirt is almost certain as he grows into his athletic and long body.

LT Henderson
LT or LG Gayden
LT or LG Michael

We have Michael and are obviously recruiting the other two with stiff competition. Henderson is about the only true frosh you could ever pencil in as the starter at LT in year one.

Man....you would really have to think they are gonna give a serious look at Gjere at LT if Henderson doesn't come here. I mean look at how their line is set up right now..."great athlete" at LT right now in Stommes...although we have yet to see how he will play...and a super HUGE dude in Wills at RT right now.

To me that looks/sounds an awful lot like Michel out at RT...with a redshirt and a year behind Wills he should be around 320-330.....and Gjere at LT as a rFr or true SO depending upon how he looks coming in....hopefully right around 300 would sit well on him.

Maybe Michel can hold down the LT spot next year and give Gjere a redshirt season to get physically ready? I dunno.....just my un-informed thoughts.

Top Bottom