Most overrated team?

Most overrated: Minnesota

Jerry Kill has done a tremendous job building the Gophers into a winning program for the past two seasons, but that doesn’t make him immune to down years when he doesn’t quite have the pieces to meet the standard he set. Minnesota is firmly expected to finish third in the Big Ten West and has drawn some buzz as a dark horse threat to reach the conference title game. But a division full of middle-of-pack teams means it won’t take much to push the Gophers towards the back of that pack. An offense built around the running game loses the powerful David Cobb, and quarterback Mitch Leidner will be without his favorite target, tight end Maxx Williams. Minnesota’s defense, whose aggressive secondary forced 11 interceptions in the first seven games, regressed in the second half of the year with just four more picks. If the defense can’t help out an attack that will undoubtedlystruggle in transition, the Gophers will likely fall short of the eight wins they compiled in each of the past two seasons.

Go Gophers!!

Then goes on to list Michigan as the most underrated. I'd like to know his thoughts after the Gophers play a close game with TCU and Michigan gets smoked at Utah.

When I read this thread title I immediately thought "Michigan". Very funny to open it up to discover Michigan is the most underrated! So, it is safe to say the writer and I see things differently.

Is this the first time in the internet era the Gophers have been referred to as "overrated"? And, for good measure "Most Overrated"?

Why can't we be more like that little engine that could: Michigan?

I was going to guess Wisconsin or Nebraska as most overrated. Both have new coaches so they may take a step back because of that (and other reasons).

Over the last 6 games we gave up 166 yds passing a game. If that was our average the whole season, we would've ranked #6 vs the pass in terms of yardage. Good call on the regression

Being called most overrated by one guy is good.

It means a lot of other people think highly of the Gophers.

Arkansas is extremely overrated.
They were 6-6 playing in a division that turned out to be good but not great.

I guess beating a bad Texas team really ups your reputation.

Michigan stinks, and will continue to stink until Harbaugh can actually get his kids in there.

Michigan stinks, and will continue to stink until Harbaugh can actually get his kids in there.

Define stinks.

They probably win 6-7 games this year, that's only 1-2 less than the gophers last year

Define stinks.

They probably win 6-7 games this year, that's only 1-2 less than the gophers last year

They stink for Michigan and the recruits they get. Since Llyod Carr they've averaged 6.5 wins, and 3.4 wins in big ten play.

No disrespect intended, but looking at this at a national level this seems like a very reasonable view and would be the normal expectation of a program without a lot of depth. We really can not argue that we have replacements for Cobb, Maxx, Wilson et al that are proven better performers. The question is: is this this guy more objective than we are and not being blinded by faith in this staff, or are we just informed better and see depth and development outsiders would not see? The answer is we'll know in November.
A less good year than last year would not mean the program has peaked, but it would mean that the backups for the guys who left had too much development left to take over with no missteps.

Tennessee.

While they did make a bowl game last year, here's who they beat:
Utah St.
Ark St.
Something called the Chattanooga Mocs!
A very average S. Carolina (7-6) in OT
Kentucky
$hitty Vanderbilt
Iowa

Yet the coaches have them in the top 25.
SEC bias me thinks

Tennessee.

While they did make a bowl game last year, here's who they beat:
Utah St.
Ark St.
Something called the Chattanooga Mocs!
A very average S. Carolina (7-6) in OT
Kentucky
$hitty Vanderbilt
Iowa

Yet the coaches have them in the top 25.
SEC bias me thinks

Tennessee also just brought in their second straight top 5 recruiting class, with 13 4-stars and 4 5-stars according to Rivals. It looks like they had a top 25 class the year before that too. I'd guess the hype is based on their star-studded classes the past few years.

Over the last 6 games we gave up 166 yds passing a game. If that was our average the whole season, we would've ranked #6 vs the pass in terms of yardage. Good call on the regression

I get a kick out of "analysis" like this guy did. He takes a quick look at INT and because they had less in the 2nd half, it obviously means the secondary played worse at the end.

Top Bottom