Moses

play hard

Reaction score
Did Moses make a position change yet or will he continue to try to climb up the dept chart at QB. Any word ?

I don't expect him to switch positions. It seems like Kill is sort of ignoring him this season and hopes he comes back in shape next year. You never even hear Moses mentioned, in fact, Kill said something like "we have Q and then 4 freshman behind him".

I would almost look at him like a player at a JuCo this season. He needs to work really hard on his weight and conditioning and if he comes to camp next season around 245-250...i'd imagine he'll get thrown into the mix again. For now, no position change and he isn't anywhere on the depth chart.

You are being kind to him. Moses is not a DI football player. And judging from his demeanor at practice it really doesn't seem to bother him all that much.

He probably isn't a D1 football player, especially at this point. However, my point is that he is almost not even considered part of the team at this point and presumably until he gets himself into playing shape. I'd guess that if we don't see him around 250 next season year, it will be more of the same.

That said, he has flashed moments of potential. He was one of the more impressive players during the spring game and had looked ok at other times too. So if he got himself into shape, he could be back in the mix with Shortell/Parish in 2012 for a backup position. Maybe not, but we'll see what happens with Moses.

It isn't always black and white "Moses is down on the depth chart therefore he isn't a D1 caliber player."

There is no doubt in my mind that Moses is a D1 player. The question is...how bad does he want it? Coach Kill has certain expectations and if Moses doesn't meet them (whatever they are) then he may have a hard time getting on the field.

This is only one chapter in his sports career, how it ends is all up to Moses.:cool02:

what a load of BS, Moses is easily our most skilled passer and is definately a D1 football player, if the previous staff was still here or a different coach who ran a more pocket friendly passing offense, he would be #2 on the depth chart and his weight wouldn't be an issue, but Kill and Limegrover want different things out of there qb's and Moses doesn't and never will fit that, happens all the time during coaching changes when kids are recruited for one system and then are terrible fits for the new coaches. Most of the time they transfer but Moses doesn't want to leave the U even with the comments being made by alot of our "fans". who knows what his future will hold, he doesn't know and maybe in the end he will eventually leave for a chance to play qb, or maybe he will try switching positions. Very much doubt he will ever make the weight goals the coaches have given him in order to be back in the QB mix, Moses is a big kid, always has been and so is his father and alot of his relatives. He got his dad's genes, Marcus got his mom's, Mikias got a combination.

It's pretty sad that we have a kid who loves the U and doesn't want to leave, doesn't get into trouble, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, will easily graduate, and yet has to put up with all these pathetic personal shots. not talking about you Bob.

It's pretty sad that we have a kid who loves the U and doesn't want to leave, doesn't get into trouble, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, will easily graduate, and yet has to put up with all these pathetic personal shots. not talking about you Bob.

This +1000.

It isn't always black and white "Moses is down on the depth chart therefore he isn't a D1 caliber player."

There is no doubt in my mind that Moses is a D1 player. The question is...how bad does he want it? Coach Kill has certain expectations and if Moses doesn't meet them (whatever they are) then he may have a hard time getting on the field.

This is only one chapter in his sports career, how it ends is all up to Moses.:cool02:

A big part of being a D1 player is a desire to want it.

Johnny hit a lot of things right on the head. I have a hard time criticizing a good kid ( and he is just a kid) for wanting to be a Gopher....However, after having watched a couple of practices, I think he would have a hard time fitting in to any D1 system. He's quite a bit overweight and doesn't appear to have a strong work ethic. Let's be honest, that's a combo that just doesn't work at a high level. I can remember only one D1 (or whatever the top level is called now) QB with a similar build, and that was Lorentzen(?) for Kentucky, and he was a fire and brimstone-type leader.

I'm not sure how you can defend a guy who is/was near 300 pounds as a QB. He is our version of the hefty lefty.

I hope he succeeds and gets it all figured out because it will help the team but I don't really see an issue with criticizing a guy's obvious lack of desire and work ethic. No QB who actually wants to be there and compete for a starting job would ever show up at 285 pounds.

He might be the nicest guy ever but he is also getting a free ride and I expect guys in that situation to be dedicated because that is what it takes to win. He was given a scholarship to do more than eat cupcakes.

Who cares if he weighs a lot if he can fling the ball around? Lorenzon was a big dude and was an excellent college qb.

The worst thing Moses did was be lazy. He wasn't a bad person, didn't fail to go to school or anything like that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to minimize how important it is for a kid to come into camp in shape, and I don't blame Kill for removing him from a depth chart until he gets into shape. However, what he did shouldn't be considered something that he isn't allowed to dig himself out of.

He is a talented kid, he can throw the football and if he gets into shape...he should have a chance to redeem himself next year. Just like if a kid had bad grades (Hageman, Carter) and was forced to miss time, he would have a chance to redeem himself when that problem is fixed.

PS: I do disagree with whoever posted the bit about Moses just being lost in the shuffle because of the coaching change. Moses weight is an issue and it would have likely been an issue with regardless of who was coaching. This can't simply be an example of a kid who was recruited into one system and then it changed because he was recruited by Mike Dunbar (a spread OC). This isn't meant to be a shot against the kid, but unless he gets into playing shape, I don't think he could play in most systems.

Who cares if he weighs a lot if he can fling the ball around? Lorenzon was a big dude and was an excellent college qb.

I guess the coaches care. Playing QB with an extra 50 pounds sure didn't help Jamarcus Russell or Dante Culpepper. P.S. I think Bob's last take hits the nail on the head with Moses.

Moses lazy? Maybe you football diehards have a different deffinition of lazy since football is the only thing that matters, but isn't this the same Moses that takes classes, practice, and on top of that runs a charity that was pretty well documented in an old Star Trib article? If you want to pick on someone for being lazy make it sam maresh or someone else who got kicked off the team.

Moses lazy? Maybe you football diehards have a different deffinition of lazy since football is the only thing that matters, but isn't this the same Moses that takes classes, practice, and on top of that runs a charity that was pretty well documented in an old Star Trib article? If you want to pick on someone for being lazy make it sam maresh or someone else who got kicked off the team.

Well, I think we all know that there are different ways that someone can be lazy. But I was the one who called him lazy (didn't think my assesment of the kid was that harsh).

But for the sake of this argument, I just short hand wrote that Moses was lazy. I meant that he has gotten himself out of shape and unless he has a glandular issue, a kid at that age can really only get out of shape by eating too much and not moving enough.

I didn't mean to diminish Moses as a person, by all accounts he is a great kid. I've talked in this thread about hoping he gets inshape and finds a niche with theteam. Him being a good person is much more important than him being a good football player.

But this is a football forum, and when it comes to football, Moses is not in shape. Furthermore, for his own sake, I hope Moses gets it figured out. He has been handed a golden ticket. He is full of talent, getting a full ride to his home school to play football and he is simply not getting himself into shape. Moses is a smart enough guy that he will regret that for the rest of his life (if he doesn't play because of being in shape).

Or maybe he is smart enough to know that football isn't in his future, but hes taking the school for a free ride because he can? He can still be handed a golden ticket to have the best seat in the house. Moses is smart enough to know a good value. :)

Or maybe he is smart enough to know that football isn't in his future, but hes taking the school for a free ride because he can? He can still be handed a golden ticket to have the best seat in the house. Moses is smart enough to know a good value. :)

Well, he's getting the free ride whether he gives it his all playing football or not.

His options are NOT:
(1) Get in shape, play football to the best of his ability;
OR
(2) Get an education for free.

He can do both. If his entire goal is to not give it his all and be able to get a good seat from the sideline, then yes, he is lazy and should be ashamed of himself. I really doubt that is the case with Moses. It could be (I don't know him), and if it is, that kind of attitude would make him deserve every bit of harsh criticism that he receives from some people.

Like I said, I doubt he shares that sort of idea. From everything i've read, he is an intelligent/good kid. Those kinds of traits are rarely found in someone that would employ the scheme you have hinted at.

Whats wrong with getting a free education at the expense of someone who can pull it if they want to? If they keep him on schollie, he can't be ashmed of himself for getting free college. What do you suggest? He forfeit his schollie, so the gophers powerhouse football program can land another 4 star qb? We have no other options, he has no better option. And, with the last paragraph, are you suggesting he is a dolt/bad kid if he doesnt work like crazy and play football? I don't understand how getting a scholarship to play football, but not play is any type of scheme, he goes to practice does he not?

And this train is facing the realistic possibility that it is leaving the tracks.

Moses is a great kid, and I sincerely hope that he contributes to the team before he graduates. And that can mean in the film room, practice squad or the classroom (where I know he has been hitting the books). But I hope that for every player that pulls on a jersey, in every sport.

This sort of thread makes me sad--for Moses, for those who you spend time ripping on a college kid (most of you are NOT in this category). What ever is going on will get resolved, one way or another. I hope the best for Moses, and for the program. This can be win-win, but it is ALL up to Moses. Hard work can overcome many, many physical shortcomings.

My suspicion is that he is practice/prep lazy, but that might be coachable. I also have suspected that he was asked to change positions and refused. We'll see. Believe it or not, Moses has all the power in this one...

Kill has said he wants to sign a class of about 25 next year. I think he has only about 18 scholies right now. Maybe Moses is one of seven or eight players now on the team that Kill plans on leaving so he can sign that group of 25.

Maybe Moses is one of seven or eight players now on the team that Kill plans on leaving so he can sign that group of 25.

That's asinine to even speculate about. Why stop at Moses? Who else you got on your list?

Top Bottom