Moses Apilate in the UA All-Star game

sonnygarcia

Reaction score
This is the first time I have seen this kid in action. I have read some posts on here saying he won't play QB in college, and I have one thing to say to that: "You are NUTS!". This kid (with the exception of M Barkley) has the best release and arm strength of any QB in this game. I'm really happy he is coming to the U. QB shouldn't be our week spot for the next 5 years!! ESPN's 9th ranked QB in the nation. The White Team coaches were just letting him sling it all over the place, just looked smooth as heck.

I know, I am watching him play too... That is not the same Moses that I have seen 3-4 times at Bloomington Jefferson.

I agree. Nice delivery, arm strength and looks very good in the pocket. I think he was 3 of 5 when he came in late in the 2nd quarter.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got moved up to a 4 star (not that is matters except for PR) after this national exposure.

He will certainly be a valuable asset for competition and the scout team at the very least. He is impressing me. A few balls that were dropped were right on the money. One throw was into coverage, but college coaching can relieve that. Future is bright at the QB position. Hopefully we can build a line for them to work behind.

Could a good All-Star game for him move him to a 4* recruit?

Call me impressed.

He is big, strong, and can throw the football. He is supposed to be able to run some but didnt have the chance in the first half but he looks great. I think more than any other position a QB and his numbers are determined more by his teamates than what he can do. If you have no line you are not going to have time to throw the ball and if you dont have the WRs to catch the balls and make plays you wont put up numbers. I am not sure what Alipate was lacking in high school but I know their line wasnt very good. This kid can play and with a good red shirt year he will be ready to compete for playing time.

FWIW, Scout.com already has him as a 4 star prospect.

Didn't Rivals originally have him at 50 something in the country based on someone looking at him at a camp? Then when the "experts" viewed his film he was downgraded to a three-star.

He definitely was impressive. This makes me feel a lot better about quarterback depth - we have been living dangerously the past two years.

josh

Curious as to your view on Alipate now. I know you have thought he was overrated and wouldnt play qb in college because of his play at Jefferson. Just wondering what your current views are and if they are the same.

Could a good All-Star game for him move him to a 4* recruit?

Not so much a good game, but a good week of practice can do it. The guys from Scout, ESPN, and Rivals all watch the entire week of practice and update their evaluations after the week.

I know, I am watching him play too... That is not the same Moses that I have seen 3-4 times at Bloomington Jefferson.

It's amazing what an offensive line can do. You can probably expect to see similar improvement to the Gophers offense when the OL gets better...

I'm not sure why people were questioning him in the first place. This game didn't really change my view on him, though it is the first time I've seen him in action as well. But all the scouting reports basically said what he produced in that game: a strong arm, great athlete who can move around in the pocket, but just really raw with footwork and such. I expect him to be in the mix at QB. Any good program has more than one quality quarterback. That's why Brewster says he wants a big time QB in each class. You don't wanna put your eggs in one basket.

Anybody know if the game is going to be replayed....forgot to set the DVR!:mad:

Alipate

I did see most of his stint in the game.

My thoughts are not changed much. He did look more comfortable back there which is good, but he still showed many of the same things throughout his FOUR years as a starting HS QB.

- Great Size
- Great Arm Strength
- Mobile Enough - although to call him a dual threat is not accurate anymore - he is a pocket passer; nothing wrong with that - just how it is

- Throws into double coverage way too much
- Poor accuracy

He's had four years as a starter - way more experience than anyone else gets. His father has groomed him to be a QB and he's gone to all of the mini-camps and summer camps and been given every opportunity to develop.

To hear people call him raw makes me angry. He should be MORE polished than any other HS QB. To still see all of these issues makes me think he will never get there.

I hope I'm wrong. He is an incredible athlete so there is a place for him on the team somewhere - I just have never thought it was at QB.

He's had four years as a starter - way more experience than anyone else gets. His father has groomed him to be a QB and he's gone to all of the mini-camps and summer camps and been given every opportunity to develop.

Has he been surrounded by enough talent in high school to allow him to hone his skills?

Is there anywhere that I can go to catch the game online? I missed it when it was broadcast.

Are you sure you can judge?

To hear people call him raw makes me angry. He should be MORE polished than any other HS QB. To still see all of these issues makes me think he will never get there.

I hope I'm wrong. He is an incredible athlete so there is a place for him on the team somewhere - I just have never thought it was at QB.

All the grooming and practice/camps in the world won't stop a good D-lineman or blitzing LB. I haven't seen him play until last night, so these are conjecture, but here goes... If he didn't have a quality O-line, then the opposing defenses can use 7 guys in coverage or give him no time to setup and find an open receiver. If his WRs can't get open, he can have all the time in the world and no targets. Without talent around him, all he gets to practice are his escape skills or threading the needle into traffic.

From what I saw of him, he looks like he has great skills and potential. Let's see what he and the Gopher coaches can make out of it.

Lets keep in mind about Alipate

This always gets pushed to the back-burner but I want to remind everyone other things I've seen from Alipate:

- He is 100% a Gopher through and through
- He is a team-first athlete on-and-off the field
- Great work ethic
- Will be a leader on this team no matter where he plays
- No need to worry about his ACT scores
- Would be shocked beyond belief if he was involved in any late night trouble

In short - the kind of student-athlete that will represent the U very well.

It's almost like the coaches were able to evaluate his talent better than the posters on this forum! Who could have guessed the coaches knew more than the Alipate detractors?

* Anyone here think the other 4* QB's haven't been groomed by their dad's to be QB's too AND attended every coaching clinics/camps available since they were 6 years old? I highly doubt Alipate was the only QB at those camps/clinics.

Top Bottom