Moses Alipate

Reaction score
I was just looking at the team roster and he's listed at 297 pounds. Is that right and why the does a TE need to way 297 pounds?

Waste of a scholarship. Any coach from the south metro could have told you he was a waste of a scholarship.

I bet a lot of people would have said the same about Decker. You win some, you lose some.

I bet a lot of people would have said the same about Decker. You win some, you lose some.

Exactly. He was relatively highly recruited coming out of HS. He just got waaaaay to big and wasted his opportunities. I guess when you know you will be sitting behind weber and Gray you get lazy. Its unfortunate.

Waste of a scholarship. Any coach from the south metro could have told you he was a waste of a scholarship.

This is actually true. One of my HS teachers coached a team that played against Alipate's team in HS and said he was awful. He said he had a big arm but NO decision making ability. At the time (Alipate was in his first or second year at the U) I didn't really believe this because of all the hype. He couldn't have been more right. I hope Moses figures it out and does something but it doesn't look like he will. I hope he graduates this year because I don't know that his scholly will be renewed (I have no issue with this if he has graduated or had ample time to graduate, feel free to disagree)

This is actually true. One of my HS teachers coached a team that played against Alipate's team in HS and said he was awful. He said he had a big arm but NO decision making ability. At the time (Alipate was in his first or second year at the U) I didn't really believe this because of all the hype. He couldn't have been more right. I hope Moses figures it out and does something but it doesn't look like he will. I hope he graduates this year because I don't know that his scholly will be renewed (I have no issue with this if he has graduated or had ample time to graduate, feel free to disagree)

Yeah, I don't think 4 years and playing football is really "ample" time to graduate. It takes a lot of players the full 5 years. If he hasn't graduated, I just think it's something that looks terrible in recruiting (pulling a scholarship for purely football reasons).

That said, the people who claimed Moses didn't have the decision making ability seem to be correct. It's hard to say because he never allowed himself the chance to get into a position to play QB because he never got into shape.

To answer the OP's question:
Moses ate himself out of the chance of playing QB, he moved to TE when he was already 270+ (hard to know what his weight was at the time of the move).

Agreed, you don't find big kids with arms like that too often, I see no problem that they took a chance on him.

We still have room for him at DT.

I think everyone wants him lighter than 297. He hasn't been able to get a handle on his weight, so he is deep on the depth chart at TE rather than deep on the depth chart at QB.

Thank you Bob. That's what I wondering about. I get that players are getting bigger but even today he's big enough to be a linemen.

I saw on tv on a sideline shot. I was shocked to see how bad he looked physically. I'm going to assume that he checked out of football a while ago and he's only suiting up to keep his scholarship. No way he's 297. Easily over 3 bills. Actually if he had any dedication he might've made a decent O-lineman.

I saw on tv on a sideline shot. I was shocked to see how bad he looked physically. I'm going to assume that he checked out of football a while ago and he's only suiting up to keep his scholarship. No way he's 297. Easily over 3 bills. Actually if he had any dedication he might've made a decent O-lineman.

I'm not disagreeing with your thoughts, but that's kinda a random comment without any basis. Not all 300 pound people make good O-lineman.

Montgomery used to be a QB

A D Lineman for the Gophs named Montgomery started out as a QB and ended up with a stint in the NFL as a D Lineman. So maybe there is hope that Moses can fit in somewhere.

Fun fact. Alipate is the only upperclassman on scholarship to have never played a snap for the Gophers.

Really? Aren't you the same guy who also said last year that Kill doesn't know how to recruit because he had all those two stars players? That why I always listen to you instead of coach Kill.

A D Lineman for the Gophs named Montgomery started out as a QB and ended up with a stint in the NFL as a D Lineman. So maybe there is hope that Moses can fit in somewhere.

Montgomery played qb in high school but never took a snap there with us.

Not even in practice.

Alright folks, enough of the ripping on Moses and his weight.

He was a local kid with a passion for the U and a cannon for an arm so there was no reason why we shouldn't have recruited him. Things have obviously not gone as planned, for various reasons, which is unfortunate for everyone involved. It's about time we ended the constant threads bashing the kid because he is a good student, his parents and siblings are all really nice and passionate supporters and fans of the U, and it just does nothing positive for anyone to keep knocking him for his weight, bad QB play, etc.

I'm not related to him in any way, and have knocked him myself for which I apologize, but after 3-4 years of the same complaints about him it has gotten annoying and is frankly pretty ridiculous. It's clear to everyone what his situation is so let's give the kid a break and support him as a member of the Gopher Family/Gopher Nation.

Here's to 3-0!

"Alright folks, enough of the ripping on [Insert Gopher player's name]..."

Curseislifted33, thank you. The Gopher players are trying to be part of the solution. The relentless rippers are part of the problem.

Good win yesterday, now let's get ready for Western Michigan, a very good OOC foe for us.

Go Gophers!!!

Really? Aren't you the same guy who also said last year that Kill doesn't know how to recruit because he had all those two stars players? That why I always listen to you instead of coach Kill.

No. I am not the guy who complained about stars of recruits. Never have been. Thanks for asking.

He was a local kid with a passion for the U and a cannon for an arm so there was no reason why we shouldn't have recruited him. Things have obviously not gone as planned, for various reasons, which is unfortunate for everyone involved. It's about time we ended the constant threads bashing the kid because he is a good student, his parents and siblings are all really nice and passionate supporters and fans of the U, and it just does nothing positive for anyone to keep knocking him for his weight, bad QB play, etc.

I'm not related to him in any way, and have knocked him myself for which I apologize, but after 3-4 years of the same complaints about him it has gotten annoying and is frankly pretty ridiculous. It's clear to everyone what his situation is so let's give the kid a break and support him as a member of the Gopher Family/Gopher Nation.

Here's to 3-0!

+1

Here's to 3-0!

+2

I'm sure he's a nice kid from a great family and all that, but there is something I witnessed that disappointed me. In attending a dozen or so practices in the last few years and watching him, it just seems like he doesn't have the passion to play football. He always looks like he's just going through the motions because he HAS to be there.
I don't know the kid at all. I hope he earns a degree and becomes successful at whatever he does. It's just a little bt irritating, that's all.

GopherHole's Expert on Talent

Rosemountain also had this to say about Leidner

Thread: GI evaluation of Leidner
by Rosemountian
Replies
Views
The 5 main tools of a QB are Poise, Arm Strength,...
The 5 main tools of a QB are Poise, Arm Strength, Arm accuracy, smarts, and mobility.

He doesn't have D1 poise, He doesn't have D1 accuracy, He doesn't have D1 mobility that would compensate for...

I guess coach Kill hasn't read Rosemountain's assessment yet.

Top Bottom