Morgan now with most QB wins in Gophers history

at the end of the day, wins matter most for qb's, so in theory morgan will go down as one of the greatest qb's in gopher history.

at the end of the day, wins matter most for qb's, so in theory morgan will go down as one of the greatest qb's in gopher history.
I mean, who has the better argument? On top of having more wins, his career numbers lag behind some of the others but he also played in a shortened Covid season in a "run first" system. As an individual effort 2019 rates as one of the best QB seasons in the history of the program. If we'd had a full slate of games, and any non-con games in 2020 he'd almost certainly be #2 in career TDs and #3 in passing yards despite playing in an offense that runs 65% of the time.

In a strange way, I think "QB Fatigue" can set in when a school has the same QB for 3 or 4 seasons.

The fans have seen the same guy play so many times - good and bad - that after a while, you just want something different. Like eating the same meal every day - doesn't mean the food is bad, but at some point you want something different.

I guess I'm just ready for a change. No reflection on Morgan as an athlete or a person - I just want something different.

In a strange way, I think "QB Fatigue" can set in when a school has the same QB for 3 or 4 seasons.

The fans have seen the same guy play so many times - good and bad - that after a while, you just want something different. Like eating the same meal every day - doesn't mean the food is bad, but at some point you want something different.

I guess I'm just ready for a change. No reflection on Morgan as an athlete or a person - I just want something different.
100% agree.

I think you are on to something with the fatigue concept combined with the general idea fans have that the backup QB is always destined for stardom if they would only get a chance.

Plus, the QB is almost always going to get blamed for a loss, even if it wasn't his fault. So if the team struggles at all the fans almost always want to see a change at QB. Not saying Morgan hasn't struggled some this year, he absolutely has, but he also takes way more heat then he deserves for where the team is at record wise.

I think you are on to something with the fatigue concept combined with the general idea fans have that the backup QB is always destined for stardom if they would only get a chance.

Plus, the QB is almost always going to get blamed for a loss, even if it wasn't his fault. So if the team struggles at all the fans almost always want to see a change at QB. Not saying Morgan hasn't struggled some this year, he absolutely has, but he also takes way more heat then he deserves for where the team is at record wise.
Like they say, victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is always the child of whoever happens to be the quarterback.

Like they say, victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is always the child of whoever happens to be the quarterback.
????....who says that? :)

I have heard a lot of sayings over the years but pretty sure I have never heard that one before.

????....who says that? :)

I have heard a lot of sayings over the years but pretty sure I have never heard that one before.
Pretty sure it was Abraham Lincoln. I saw it on a Facebook meme once.

The Ohio St QB is aided by their WRs, RBs, OL, Defense and special teams. Give the Gophers all that and their QB and we are ohio st.
If Ohio State passes just slightly more than the service academies Chris Olave is not an All-American. He is a guy running decoy routes or run blocking 70 times a game.

As of right now he is the greatest quarterback in Gopher history by all normal measurements -- longevity, durability, wins, and one exceptional 11-2 season.

Is Morgan done after the bowl game? Or is there some way he could come back for another year?

As of right now he is the greatest quarterback in Gopher history by all normal measurements -- longevity, durability, wins, and one exceptional 11-2 season.

Most successful, yes. Greatest? I wouldn't go that far.

to me, "greatest" is more a measure of talent or ability as opposed to just wins and losses.

I appreciate what Morgan has done for MN, but I still think that he is somewhat limited athletically.

If Morgan is "the greatest" QB in Gopher history - that speaks volumes about where this program has been.

If only the Gopher coaching staff had played somebody else... anybody else... more.

to me, "greatest" is more a measure of talent or ability as opposed to just wins and losses.

I appreciate what Morgan has done for MN, but I still think that he is somewhat limited athletically.

If Morgan is "the greatest" QB in Gopher history - that speaks volumes about where this program has been.

So who is the greatest, in your opinion, and is he on the current roster?

It does indeed speak volumes. The Gopher bar is not high. Athletic ability is subjective. In my opinion Ricky Fogge is the greatest athlete to have played QB at Minnesota.

But we are measuring QBs by the record book. Tanner is top of the heap.

Don't know who the greatest one is, but I know a lot of them who could turn around and hand the ball off.

Who is the greatest on the current Gopher roster? I'll go out on a limb and assume that you don't think it is Tanner Morgan...

By measures such as total yardage, TDs, etc. Tanner is, no question, one of the greatest Gopher QBs ever. EVER. I think there are other greatness measures, though. Sandy Stephens was QB of the Gophers’ national championship team in 1960 that beat, by a score of 27-10, a 6-0 Iowa team that was ranked No. 1 in the country (an Iowa team considered one of the top 50 college teams of all time). In 1961, Stephens took the Gophers back to the Rose Bowl (second consecutive year), was MVP of the Big Ten and of the Rose Bowl, was a consensus All American at QB, and was 4th in Heisman balloting. They didn’t play as many games back then, it was rare for a QB to get 4 seasons under his belt and the passing game was still in its infancy (not favored by the rules). Tough to pile up today’s “longevity” stats. Stephens instead piled up “major accomplishment” stats. As much as I like and respect Tanner, and admire him as a person and leader, judged by his accomplishments versus his peer 2018-21 QBs, Tanner ain’t no Sandy Stephens.

Last edited:

Who on the current Gophers staff would you consider a good developer of QBs?

In 2019, our offense did more to take advantage of Tanner's skill set (quick reads/quick strikes) than "develop" him into an all-around QB.

Sanford, Jr was supposed to be that guy. But a "developer" he is not.
Hire Cory Sauter

I think there are other greatness measures. Sandy Stephens was QB of the Gophers’ national championship team in 1960 that beat, by a score of 27-10, a 6-0 Iowa team that was ranked No. 1 in the country (an Iowa team considered one of the top 50 college teams of all time). In 1961, Stephens took the Gophers back to the Rose Bowl, was MVP of the Big Ten and of the Rose Bowl, was a consensus All American at QB, and was 4th in Heisman balloting. They didn’t play as many games back then and it was rare for a QB to get 4 seasons under his belt. Tough to pile up today’s “longevity” stats. Stephens instead piled up “major accomplishment” stats. As much as I like and respect Tanner, and admire him as a person and leader, he ain’t no Sandy Stephens.
Also no Tony dungey. Ricky Foggie or Cory Sauter

Dream on. He’s very average. Only got to play 4 yrs cause he’s flecks boy

Top Bottom