MoreTruth About Tubby

caiusov

caiusov
Reaction score
Our half court offense is horrible.

It's not because we don't have the players. We've got the players to make it to NCAA Tournament. (Proven last year.)
What we don't have is a coach that can utilize our player's abilities. Where are the set offensive plays to set up our scorers. Screens, pick and rolls, low post double screens, inside outside passing.

Hoffarber should be getting shots off. Double picks and screens will do that.
Westbrook's abilities allow him to penetrate as well as take outside shots. Offensive sets would help.
Damien Johnson is a slasher. When Nolen was on the court, his penetration abilities would exploit that.
Joseph is a 2 guard, not a point guard. An inside outside game would enable him to explode.

If Sampson were made to stay in the low post instead of straying to the outside, we would have a better inside game.

Instead, our offense looks hapless.

A balanced offense doesn't need everyone to be a scorer but a balanced offense will produce higher percentage scoring opportunities.

This is the Big Ten. And it's a bruising conference. I not sure Tubby has the right kind of coaching style to do well here.

Maybe out east where they play a more finesse style.

While I agree the halfcourt O is bad - Your post is an opinion, not truth.

It's not because we don't have the players. We've got the players to make it to NCAA Tournament. (Proven last year.)
What we don't have is a coach that can utilize our player's abilities. Where are the set offensive plays to set up our scorers. Screens, pick and rolls, low post double screens, inside outside passing.

Westbrook's abilities allow him to penetrate as well as take outside shots. Offensive sets would help.
Damien Johnson is a slasher. When Nolen was on the court, his penetration abilities would exploit that.
Joseph is a 2 guard, not a point guard. An inside outside game would enable him to explode.

If Sampson were made to stay in the low post instead of straying to the outside, we would have a better inside game.

A balanced offense doesn't need everyone to be a scorer but a balanced offense will produce higher percentage scoring opportunities.

This is the Big Ten. And it's a bruising conference. I not sure Tubby has the right kind of coaching style to do well here.

I disagree that our halfcourt offense is "horrible". It goes stagnant periodically, especially in crunch time against good teams that are able to turn their defense up a notch.

Furthermore, Tubby's team plays a quite physical style. That starts on the defensive end, where we are actually really good.

The one thing holding us back right now, IMHO, is that our one 'go-to' guy is six foot nothing and has questionable decision-making abilities. It would be a very different season if we had a 6-6 guy who could catch the ball on the wing and take his guy to the rack (Evan Turner comes to mind). Williams may be that player some day, but it remains to be seen.

Again, Westbrook is a good scorer, but he's no Kalin Lucas... or Bobby Jackson, for that matter.

Tubby is a finesse coach?

THE absolute dumbest thing I've ever read here on GH.

HORRIBLE IS THE WORD! good call!

We have the talent but not the right coach to recognize how to use everyones ability. We could easily be the best team in the BigTen, with the right coach. We have lost way to many games by less then 5 points.

It would be a very different season if we had a 6-6 guy who could catch the ball on the wing and take his guy to the rack (Evan Turner comes to mind)

If the Gophers had someone like Evan Turner people would be asking Tubby about running for Governor.

We have the talent but not the right coach to recognize how to use everyones ability. We could easily be the best team in the BigTen, with the right coach. We have lost way to many games by less then 5 points.

this has to be the new dumbest post that I have ever read in my short history on the GH.

this is simply laughable.

Jeez. I am not even going to touch your claim that Tubby is a "horrible" coach. That is so wrong.

I will definitely refute that this Minnesota team, under any coach, could be the best team in the Big 10. If you ask me, if we just swapped Tubby for Izzo, MSU would still be the better team. If you ask me, those two coaches are both of a very high caliber.

More Truth

Whether you think my post was the dumbest thing you've read or just an opinion, which it is. At, least we are talking about the reason for the team's performance or lack thereof- the Head Coach.

And Friend Of Tubby, you're not even from here. A true friend you are.

Tubby is a finesse coach?

THE absolute dumbest thing I've ever read here on GH.

Apparently you haven't been reading some of your own posts FOT.

caiusov is only bringing detail to what many posters (and professional sports commentators) have been saying about the Gopher offense for the past 2.5 seasons. It doesn't work most of the time.

Whether it is the "truth" or not, it is a good observation about Tubby's inability to develop the talent he has (both Monson recruits and his own) into a strong contender in the Big Ten.

Crean, Izzo, Painter, Carmody would be at the top of the Big Ten standings with the players that Tubby started the season with (excluding Mbakwe and White).

Still waiting to see the "future Hall of Fame" coach on the Gopher bench.

Jack

I agree, we have lost too many games by less than 10...

Let's get a new coach so we can lose even more games by 15-20 !!!

Bring Monson back !!! I want to relive MN-Clemson 2006.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200611290363

Clemson 90-68 thrashed of our totally inept D2 squad and it's equally deer-in-the-headlights coach.

"Dan Coleman scored 18 points for Minnesota (2-5), which lost its fifth straight. The five non-conference losses is the school’s longest streak since the Gophers lost six in a row in 1962-63."

Boy those were the good old days all right!

:rolleyes:

Crean, Izzo, Painter, Carmody would be at the top of the Big Ten standings with the players that Tubby started the season with (excluding Mbakwe and White).

then I guess you seriously overestimated (which of this you are not alone) the actual talent level on the squad. even with Mbakwe and White the thought of most of the national publications and such was that Minnesota was picked anywhere from 4th - 6th in the B10.

4th - 6th is probably where they will ended up even without the 2 players mentioned. so now the season hasn't gone as you had expected and according to you Tubby is the reason since this squad has talent that is comparable to the top teams in the conference.

sorry to break it to you but the team does not have the talent equal to the best in the B10.

then I guess you seriously overestimated (which of this you are not alone) the actual talent level on the squad. even with Mbakwe and White the thought of most of the national publications and such was that Minnesota was picked anywhere from 4th - 6th in the B10.

4th - 6th is probably where they will ended up even without the 2 players mentioned. so now the season hasn't gone as you had expected and according to you Tubby is the reason since this squad has talent that is comparable to the top teams in the conference.

sorry to break it to you but the team does not have the talent equal to the best in the B10.

Not sure you are watching any games besides the Gophers and/or the Big Ten. This team has enough talent to compete with anyone in the country (including the big three). As for the Big Ten, both of those MSU games were winnable, as was Indiana and Purdue, the players the Gophers had on the floor at the time.

Talent isn't the only key to victory and basketball is still a team sport. Bobby Knight's crazy @ss has proved that season after season.

So Drex96 your argument is that Painter who has more talent to work with at Purdue then Tubby does and doesn't even have Purdue atop the B10 would take a less talented team in Minnesota and have them a top the B10?

That doesn't even make sense.

Not sure you are watching any games besides the Gophers and/or the Big Ten. This team has enough talent to compete with anyone in the country (including the big three).

Un-f*cking-believable.

This is getting ridiculous. Half the people on this board either hate Tubby (inbreds from Kaintuck that get satellite interwebs in their trailer) or are Iowa/Wisky trolls with nothing better to do than masquerade as Gopher fans and bitch about everything. Does a Gopher board exist that isn't filled with Hogeye, Wisky, and Kaintucky trolls constantly trying to stir things up?

:banghead:

Thanks for ruining the Gopherhole, mods. Why are you scared to ban these people? Do you like the board this way? Keep it up and soon it will be 90/10 in favor of morons like this.

Un-f*cking-believable.

This is getting ridiculous. Half the people on this board either hate Tubby (inbreds from Kaintuck that get satellite interwebs in their trailer) or are Iowa/Wisky trolls with nothing better to do than masquerade as Gopher fans and bitch about everything. Does a Gopher board exist that isn't filled with Hogeye, Wisky, and Kaintucky trolls constantly trying to stir things up?

:banghead:

Thanks for ruining the Gopherhole, mods. Why are you scared to ban these people? Do you like the board this way? Keep it up and soon it will be 90/10 in favor of morons like this.

This board is rapidly filling up with trolls. Gophers have enough talent on this team to compete for a Big Ten Title, and the fact that we're not is an indictment of the coaching staff? Maybe this guy hasn't gotten the memo that Royce White, Trevor Mbakwe, and Al Nolen aren't on the floor, and DJ has a broken hand. But of course, those things are all his fault as well. I'm sure these folks (if they really believe what they're saying and aren't just trolls) think it's entirely reasonable to expect a coach to take a team and program in utter disarray, and turn it into Big Ten Champ in his third year, and that not to do so is to deserve to be fired. Unbelievable.

So Drex96 your argument is that Painter who has more talent to work with at Purdue then Tubby does and doesn't even have Purdue atop the B10 would take a less talented team in Minnesota and have them a top the B10?

That doesn't even make sense.

scools- I think your point would have to be put on hold to see the season results. My guess is that Purdue ends the season at 13-5. We won't be at that level. I think Painter's current claim to fame is based on his recruiting energy and success along with continuing Keady's aggressive defense. Few would claim that Painter is already a better coach than Tubby. The jury is out on that.

The concern with Tubby is that his offense is not creative and it depends on player ability. That leads to the question: Does he still have the recruiting passion to make his system successful here? It's pretty obvious that we need an upgrade in offensive talent to go further with this system.

This board is rapidly filling up with trolls. Gophers have enough talent on this team to compete for a Big Ten Title, and the fact that we're not is an indictment of the coaching staff? Maybe this guy hasn't gotten the memo that Royce White, Trevor Mbakwe, and Al Nolen aren't on the floor, and DJ has a broken hand. But of course, those things are all his fault as well. I'm sure these folks (if they really believe what they're saying and aren't just trolls) think it's entirely reasonable to expect a coach to take a team and program in utter disarray, and turn it into Big Ten Champ in his third year, and that not to do so is to deserve to be fired. Unbelievable.

jmag- I think you may be a little over the top there. Yes there are a few obvious trolls. However, I see no one claiming we should have been Big Ten Champs this year of that the coach should be fired. I think 99% on here admire Tubby, (I am one) but are simply discussing concern for what is currently being seen on the floor offensively and how this season is going. If in a season where most thought we were a cinch NCAA 7 seed or better where we are now reeling at 12-7 and 3-4 BT, such concerns seems reasonable to at least discuss.

scools- I think your point would have to be put on hold to see the season results. My guess is that Purdue ends the season at 13-5. We won't be at that level. I think Painter's current claim to fame is based on his recruiting energy and success along with continuing Keady's aggressive defense. Few would claim that Painter is already a better coach than Tubby. The jury is out on that.

The concern with Tubby is that his offense is not creative and it depends on player ability. That leads to the question: Does he still have the recruiting passion to make his system successful here? It's pretty obvious that we need an upgrade in offensive talent to go further with this system.

bga1 - I would agree with you. My point being that the assertion that any of the other coaches mentioned if they were the HC of Minnesota would have them atop the B10 and the reason the Gophers are not atop the B10 is Tubby is IMO completely false.

However, I see no one claiming we should have been Big Ten Champs this year of that the coach should be fired.

Really? Three posters in this thread alone have said it. I quoted one who said we have the talent to beat the best three teams in the country. What are you missing?

I understand the posts/threads discussing the team's shortcomings, I for one have witnessed many head-scratching moments this year, but this board is out of control.

IMO

IMO the "truth" about Tubby is that he is the best U of M coaching hire since Murray Warmath.

Let us not forget how totally trashed this program was from Clem's shenanigans and Monson's inept recruiting and bench coaching. The history of our program has been littered with scandal and embarrassment.

Tubby just has to walk on the court to change the perception of U hoops.

I am thrilled to have Tubby Smith as our hoops coach, representing our University and our State.

Second guessers, nitpickers, bedwetters and trolls can not change that for me.

:clap::clap::clap:

IMO the "truth" about Tubby is that he is the best U of M coaching hire since Murray Warmath.

Let us not forget how totally trashed this program was from Clem's shenanigans and Monson's inept recruiting and bench coaching. The history of our program has been littered with scandal and embarrassment.

Tubby just has to walk on the court to change the perception of U hoops.

I am thrilled to have Tubby Smith as our hoops coach, representing our University and our State.

Second guessers, nitpickers, bedwetters and trolls can not change that for me.

:clap::clap::clap:

Great post. Thank you.

No sir, Matt Painter is not a better coach than Tubby and never was coach Keady.

Top 3 talent in the nation--are you kidding me. Name one nba talent on here other than Sampson. Most final four teams will have four eventual nba first rounders on it--stated by some famous Duke coach. Where are ours. We have no McDonald's All American's. Kentucky has the most NBA players, followed by Texas, Kansas, and UNC.

Top Bottom