More problems for Rodriguez

The quotes from Rittenberg's ESPN Big Ten blog remind me of why I dislike Rich Rod. The way he talks about "booting" Feagin indicates a dickish lack of concern for players. Sure this is a kid you probably don't want in the program, but don't talk about him like he's some piece of trash.

Methinks Michigan will live to regret hiring Rich Rod.

michigan!

As I said earlier this week, I would hate to be Rich-Rod in Ann Arbor. If he has another down year for the maize and blue it will be curtains for him. Especially at a .500 record or worse.

I thought for sure that Michigan would have hired a coach from their own staff like they did with Lloyd Carr.

But we have our own team to worry about.

Go Gophers!

How many coaches have ever been under more pressure in their second year at a school than Rodriguez will be? He's not off to a good start on or off the field. Anything less than 7 wins this year could be really bad for him.

Michigan!

I could not agree more with you Gopher 7, any predictions out there on what sportswriters think they will end up at?

BTW, did Rich-Rod sign a 5 year contract with Michigan? If so, they may end up paying him off after next year.
Thanks, just wondering.
Go Gophers!!!:eek:

He'll be fired going into their 8th game, quote me on it.......

Rich-Rod

:rockon:I agree, fellow poster!! Good old Ritchie will get his ass handed to him all year long in Ann Arbor! I pray that they lose several games by screwed-up plays, fumbles, palyers kicked off the team, and their 2 quarterbacks knocked out for the season very early!!

As you can tell I hate the Michigan Wolverines!!:drink:
Go Gophers!!:D:D

He'll be fired going into their 8th game, quote me on it.......

Copied for evidence

Not only will this not happen, but DickRod will be successful there (eventually). He's recruiting too much talent for it not to be so.

My grandma could recruit talent at Michigan. They want wins not a talented roster, he will not have as long of a leash as Brewster does with us.

My grandma could recruit talent at Michigan. They want wins not a talented roster, he will not have as long of a leash as Brewster does with us.

(Rivals rankings used)

Last two years of Lloyd Carr's tenure:

Michigan #13; 2 five-stars; 9 four-stars; 7 three-stars; 3.63 avg

Michigan #13; 2 five-stars; 5 four-stars; 12 three-stars; 3.40 avg

First two years of Rich Rodriguez' tenure:

Michigan #10; 0 five-stars; 17 four-stars; 6 three-stars; 3.67 avg

Michigan #8; 1 five-stars; 13 four-stars; 6 three-stars; 3.59 avg

But could your grandmother out-recruit her predecessor, who had a national championship and, by the way, still had a pretty good product to sell?

DickRod's two previous HC tenures also included horrible first years. He is also transitioning to an entirely new offensive system (one he has perfected over decades), and has had to recruit players to fit that system. His incumbent starting QB transferred out, leaving him to start a walk-on last year, and a true freshman this year. His superiors didn't expect him to walk in the door and start winning Big Ten championships, especially considering the above.

Trust me, he'll be fine. He will probably be fired eventually (most coaches are), but it won't be anytime soon, and it certainly won't be this year.

(Rivals rankings used)

Last two years of Lloyd Carr's tenure:

Michigan #13; 2 five-stars; 9 four-stars; 7 three-stars; 3.63 avg

Michigan #13; 2 five-stars; 5 four-stars; 12 three-stars; 3.40 avg

First two years of Rich Rodriguez' tenure:

Michigan #10; 0 five-stars; 17 four-stars; 6 three-stars; 3.67 avg

Michigan #8; 1 five-stars; 13 four-stars; 6 three-stars; 3.59 avg

But could your grandmother out-recruit her predecessor, who had a national championship and, by the way, still had a pretty good product to sell?

DickRod's two previous HC tenures also included horrible first years. He is also transitioning to an entirely new offensive system (one he has perfected over decades), and has had to recruit players to fit that system. His incumbent starting QB transferred out, leaving him to start a walk-on last year, and a true freshman this year. His superiors didn't expect him to walk in the door and start winning Big Ten championships, especially considering the above.

Trust me, he'll be fine. He will probably be fired eventually (most coaches are), but it won't be anytime soon, and it certainly won't be this year.

I agree with you that Dick Rod will eventually be successful at Michigan, but to be fair the difference between a 13th ranked class and an 8th ranked class is not very large.

I agree with you that Dick Rod will eventually be successful at Michigan, but to be fair the difference between a 13th ranked class and an 8th ranked class is not very large.

No, but the difference between 18 4/5* in LC's last two years and 31 4/5* in RR's first two years is pretty significant. Not to mention replacing a national championship-winning coach and actually outrecruiting him.

Rich-rod

Sorry, I still think the Michigan faithfull will go beserk after every loss this year and scream for his head to roll in Ann Arbor. It should be interesting.

Go Gophers!!

He doesn't know what to do without a Running Back playing Quarterback........

Once (Pacman) is an anomaly. Twice (Chris Henry) is a coincidence. But to have the history Rodriguez does with players who are less than stellar humans is either a trend or a pattern. Either way, it doesn't bode well for his future at scUM.

I just wish the Gophers had a crack at Meat Chicken these next two years.

Once (Pacman) is an anomaly. Twice (Chris Henry) is a coincidence. But to have the history Rodriguez does with players who are less than stellar humans is either a trend or a pattern. Either way, it doesn't bode well for his future at scUM.

I fail to see your point. Every competitive program in the country has its fair share of dirtbags. If you as a coach refuse to recruit the players who are borderline - academically, behaviorally, or otherwise - you will soon find yourself on the unemployment line. The fact that DickRod has already coaxed productive college careers out of losers like those two - with little or no trouble - actually bodes better for his future. He has already shown he can deal with the headcases, and thus will be able to handle the ones he has now and in the future. He's already had at least one player at Michigan (Feagin) who couldn't keep his head out of his ass long enough to play football, and he got rid of him.

So, again - what's your point? Are you insinuating that Rodriguez has more "bad apples" than other coaches? If so, you are either laughably naïve or horribly misinformed.

Are you insinuating that Rodriguez has more "bad apples" than other coaches?

I'm not insinuating anything. I'm flat out saying that Rodriguez does. He's bad for the Michigan, he's bad for the Big Ten, and he's bad for College Football. He'd take Charles Manson if he ran a 4.4 40 and had eligibility. I don't think for one second he was able to keep players under control in Morgantown as opposed to keeping them out of the newspapers.

I'm not insinuating anything. I'm flat out saying that Rodriguez does. He's bad for the Michigan, he's bad for the Big Ten, and he's bad for College Football. He'd take Charles Manson if he ran a 4.4 40 and had eligibility.

Wow, so it's just that you're naïve, then.

Even a cursory amount of research will prove that you're so unbelievably wrong, I can't even believe we're having this discussion.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5
Link 6

These are just a small sample of what I was able to find on Google in less than 5 minutes. If you want to say that it is a problem endemic to college football (and sports in general) and needs to be corrected, that's a legitimate argument. But to say that DickRod is somehow worse than hundreds of other players and coaches is laughable.

I don't think for one second he was able to keep players under control in Morgantown as opposed to keeping them out of the newspapers.

Care to offer any proof? Sorry, this sounds a little too much like "my girlfriend's cousin's co-worker's boyfriend's ex-wife's boss's probation officer saw one of West Virginia's players stealing money at a Baskin Robbins."

I think most everyone realizes that he did not have anywhere close to the type of athletes he needed at Michigan to run the offense he excels at and in turn will get some patience from those involved. If he can get top level recruits to come to Morgantown and win there you would have to be insane to think he cannot do it at Michigan with all the resources he has there. He will win there and will win a lot it will just take a litle bit of time. He has proven he can build a program.

If Michigan State starts to beat Michigan on a fairly regular basis (which I think Sparty will under Dantonio) and Tressel contiunes to beat up on the maize & blue (which I think he will), Rodriguez won't be long for Ann Arbor. But like Brew, we need to see at least 3 years out of him before we can get a true feel for the direction he has the Michigan program headed. He hasn't impressed on or off the field so far, he seems like kind of a goober to me, but it's too early to bury him.

Top Bottom