More Problems at Penn St.

I think I'll wait for confirmation on this one. This doesn't seem on the up-and-up.

Right now it's just accusations from a lawsuit.

If true it's bad but this is just one side in the lawsuit... not a lot of extra information yet.

Jesus. I know innocent until proven guilty but not sure this University deserves it

"Numerous team members, and others associated with the football program, were interviewed and overwhelmingly they disclaimed, or flat out denied the allegations, with most saying it was just locker-room horseplay, or teammates joking around, and they felt that the original complaint came from a player looking for a quick transfer to another school,"

So did they deny it or claim it happened but was just horseplay? Can't be both.

If they can prove any of it is true it will probably mean the end of the James Franklin era at Penn State but agree with those that caution we are only hearing one side of the story at this point.

"Numerous team members, and others associated with the football program, were interviewed and overwhelmingly they disclaimed, or flat out denied the allegations, with most saying it was just locker-room horseplay, or teammates joking around, and they felt that the original complaint came from a player looking for a quick transfer to another school,"

So did they deny it or claim it happened but was just horseplay? Can't be both.

That reads to me like the players are just saying it was typical locker room messing around and not hazing or threatened assault the way the former player is claiming. Anyone who has been in a locker room before knows there is a lot of harmless messing around that goes on in there.

Now if what the former player is claiming turns out to be true that is a whole different story.

If they can prove any of it is true it will probably mean the end of the James Franklin era at Penn State but agree with those that caution we are only hearing one side of the story at this point.
Probably just another slap on the wrist.

Well, break out the popcorn, this could be interesting to watch...

1579037367399.png

This is the player's tweet when he left. I'm not sure that meshes with what he's claiming happened to him.

This is the player's tweet when he left. I'm not sure that meshes with what he's claiming happened to him.

It's smart to not burn bridges regardless of the issue.

Side note: Times sure have changed. Locker room stuff back in the day could get raunchy...not meant to be vicious, but definitely raunchy.

This is pretty crappy stuff. If the allegations come up true, then the NCCA needs to come in and really do damage to them. Seems like the bigger the program, the less is acted on.

You guys are all correct. Let's wait and see. Without rehashing the issues for Minnesota a few years ago, if true these are criminal charges of some sort, and if the County D.A. isn't even pursuing charges then maybe they have enough info to warrant it is not worth it.

Of course my law degree was never mailed to me after I got a special email in my junk folder by some "Barrister" guy and I sent in $1,000....

Last edited:

Thought they wanted to put this horrendous scandal behind them. Apparently sodomy is a pillar of their program.

Thought they wanted to put this horrendous scandal behind them. Apparently sodomy is a pillar of their program.

Still just have one side of the story. Too early to rush to judgement.

I am having difficulty fathoming this particular allegation:

"
Humphries claims the abuse was physical. The perpetrators would allegedly steal victims' clothes and wrestle them to the ground while shoving their genitalia on their face or between their buttocks. And if one tried to fight back or resist the abuse, they were the target of more intimidation and bullying, Humphries' lawsuit states.
"

Let's go so far as to pretend that Penn St seniors had this type of behavior forced upon them when they were true freshmen, and so the idea is the seniors haze the freshmen the way they were hazed, as tradition.

This seems absurdly deviant and perverse, to be hazing?? The way it is worded, I guess, seems like rape. Does this really go on in locker rooms??

I don't know what to think.

The school's and the fans' tone deafness on the issue from day one has been astounding.

The school's and the fans' tone deafness on the issue from day one has been astounding.
Well again, let's make it clear:

a researcher at Penn State working on a new cure for cancer, has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. The person's livelihood, work, and lab at Penn St should not be at risk, because of something that goes on within the context of a sports team.

I'm frustrated that hazing is still a thing. It proves nothing and the results are more detrimental than they are helpful. Why can't people figure this out? Making underclassmen carry the baseball bats from the bus to the dugout is one thing...physical or mental abuse is another.

My son is a senior in high school. He has been in cross country, baseball, and drumline/marching band since 7th grade. He has never experienced any hazing in CC or drumline from upperclassmen, including those as old as seniors. He was fortunate enough to be surrounded by upperclassmen who helped him along, supported him, and became mentors. Those behaviors were passed down to him and now as a senior himself, I can't count the number of times different parents of underclassmen come up to us and say how much their kid admires our son and looks up to him...how he acknowledges them, talks to them, and includes them in a lot of things...a lot of the same things we told parents of the kids that our son looked up to. There has always been a great bond with the kids in those two activities and it is very evident when you are around them. That is how you build camaraderie. That is how you build a team, and that is how you lead. When you have that culture, then it just keeps going and creates some amazing individuals.

my two cents.

"
Humphries claims the abuse was physical. The perpetrators would allegedly steal victims' clothes and wrestle them to the ground while shoving their genitalia on their face or between their buttocks. And if one tried to fight back or resist the abuse, they were the target of more intimidation and bullying, Humphries' lawsuit states.
"

Let's go so far as to pretend that Penn St seniors had this type of behavior forced upon them when they were true freshmen, and so the idea is the seniors haze the freshmen the way they were hazed, as tradition.

This seems absurdly deviant and perverse, to be hazing?? The way it is worded, I guess, seems like rape. Does this really go on in locker rooms??

IF that kind of behavior is going on that goes way beyond "typical locker room shenanigans" at least it does for any locker room I have ever been a part of.

This is one of those tough topics to discuss because there is a certain level of silliness or stupidity that takes place anytime you get a big group of high school or college kids together. But there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and allegations like the one above would certainly cross that line in my book.

"
"

That guy would get a knee or elbow to the nuts from me. I don’t recall anything close to this happening in the locker room back in the day. People would have been kicked off the team and coaches would have been fired.

I'm frustrated that hazing is still a thing. It proves nothing and the results are more detrimental than they are helpful. Why can't people figure this out? Making underclassmen carry the baseball bats from the bus to the dugout is one thing...physical or mental abuse is another.

Could not agree more. The extreme stuff that some kids do in the name of hazing is just disgusting and serves no real purpose in terms of helping the team or building a bond among the players. It has become less accepted then it once was but is still out there.

Top Bottom