More on BT Championship Turnarounds

BigTenGuy

Reaction score
The other thread on turnarounds was interesting, so I took the idea back to 1960. For coaches who started in the Big Ten since 1960, i.e. the last 50 years, if they were ever going to win a Big Ten championship, it usually happened by year 4, though there are 2 YR 5s, and 1 Yr 6. If Brew doesn't win a championship in the next 2 yrs, there is good reason to believe that he will never do it. The following coaches joining the conference since 1960 won their first BT Championship in the following years:

Ind. - John Pont - Yr 3
Ill - Pete Elliott - Yr 4; Mike White - Yr 4; Mackovic - Yr 3; Turner Yr 5
Iowa - Fry - Yr 3; Ferentz - Yr 4
Wis - Alvarez - Yr 4
Purdue - Tiller - Yr 4
MSU - Daryl Rogers - Yr 3; Perles Yr 5
NW - Barnett - Yr 4; Walker Yr 2
PSU - Joe Pa Yr 2 after joining Big Ten
Mich - Bo Yr 1; Moeller - Yr 1; Carr - Yr 3
OSU - Bruce - Yr 1; Cooper Yr 6; Tressel Yr 2

Interesting

Nice analysis. The average for the non-traditional power programs seems to be about 4 years. I think Brewster should get another year, but what are the criteria for keeping his job? If he doesn't win a championship or at least get to a NYD bowl game? The problem is ending up with, say a 7-6 season. Then you have to go more subjective, like whether they win a bowl game, how the season finishes, if there are any discipline problems on the team, etc. At a "non-traditional power program" it may not look appealing to prospective coaches if you are firing after a bowl game season.

Top Bottom