More Issues at Iowa ? "playing for Iowa football was a living nightmare" - Former Iowa RB Akrum Wadley

As an aside, however, Akrum Wadley is not the most sympathetic witness. He allegedly sold signed merchandise to fans recently and never actually sent some of the merch. Perhaps that casts doubt on his credibility, I don't know.

I know MN fans are eager to see Iowa collapse but maybe the Ferentz know something about this kid. Plenty of tweets @ Akrum over allegedly fraudulent autographed merchandise sales. Also allegations he was trying to get the staff to offer his little brother. Shades of Justin Fields and UGA waiver fiasco while his sister was recruited and enrolled?

Judge for yourselves, twitter warriors. Reality can get messy fast.

ISU actually has a bigger enrollment now than UI. Things are changing. And Matt Campbell is a really solid coach who I think will be there for a long time.

Things don't appear to be changing all that much if you analyze it. Iowa has won five straight against the Cyclones, 9 of the last 12, and 12 of the past 17. Ferentz is coming off of a 10-win season, three straight bowl wins, is five years removed from the Rose Bowl and a near playoff appearance. Iowa currently has a Top 10-15 recruiting class going, which is the highest for Ferentz in a long time.

Meanwhile, Matt Campbell is a game over .500 in four years at ISU and underachieved last season, going 7-6, when they were preseason Top 20 by most everyone. His current recruiting class is outside of the Top 40.

Last edited:

Ferentz’s buyout is enormous. I don’t feel like doing the math, but it’s probably in the neighborhood of $20 million. There’s a section in this article that explains it. They can’t afford to fire him.

If they had Cause, they could fire him. Most likely, it would be a negotiated settlement. Mistreatment of players got Indiana’s coach fired.

It all depends if anyone backs up Akrum Wadley’s claims. Several former Iowa players that are in the NFL now pointed the finger at Brian Ferentz. This is the problem with nepotism in coaching. Kirk Ferentz may have trusted what he was being told and turned a blind eye to the possibility that his son was a POS.

This is yet another black eye on the Iowa program. This story just pisses me off even more that we lose to Iowa far too often. If even one more black player comes out with a story like this, both Ferentz coaches are fired, and it will happen sooner rather than later. Who despises Iowa?
So many sensitive people nowadays and your statement can be twisted into being racist ?.

I know MN fans are eager to see Iowa collapse but maybe the Ferentz know something about this kid. Plenty of tweets @ Akrum over allegedly fraudulent autographed merchandise sales. Also allegations he was trying to get the staff to offer his little brother. Shades of Justin Fields and UGA waiver fiasco while his sister was recruited and enrolled?

Judge for yourselves, twitter warriors. Reality can get messy fast.

Are you trying to discredit him? Akrum very well could have cheated these people out of money but that should have nothing to do with what the Iowa staff did to him. It doesn't change what Kirk and his staff did.

Ferentz’s buyout is enormous. I don’t feel like doing the math, but it’s probably in the neighborhood of $20 million. There’s a section in this article that explains it. They can’t afford to fire him.

But could they fire him and not pay, and claim that he violated his contract? If so, i bet it ends up in a settlement that is less than the buyout

Are you trying to discredit him? Akrum very well could have cheated these people out of money but that should have nothing to do with what the Iowa staff did to him. It doesn't change what Kirk and his staff did.

I don’t know what really happened here. If the allegations (in the tweets) of stiffing business partners and fans are true that would indicate questionable character at best. Not to mention the allegations around the pressure to recruit his brother. So yeah, I’d take his stories with a huge grain of salt without a significant amount of evidence and corroboration, rather than two minutes of internet investigation. Put aside your hatred of Ferentz and Iowa for a brief moment - that bizarre tweet from Akrum adds up for you? He may have motive with a problematic post-Iowa career path?

Last edited:

Meh seems like BF is an asshole, Kirk is heartless tyrant, and Wadley is a bitter ex player who is made he didnt make millions off of football because he went to Iowa and is not a white OL or TE.

What the staff Allegedly did. And if you are (allegedly) a thief and cheat (allegedly), that applies to this situation in your character and credibility. As does the character and credibility of the head coach, for good or for bad.

Some serious Akrum-ony from the former RB. You don't get to make claims like this in a bubble, your actions and your character apply and speak.

Things don't appear to be changing all that much if you analyze it. Iowa has won five straight against the Cyclones, 9 of the last 12, and 12 of the past 17. Ferentz is coming off of a 10-win season, three straight bowl wins, is five years removed from the Rose Bowl and a near playoff appearance. Iowa currently has a Top 10-15 recruiting class going, which is the highest for Ferentz in a long time.

Meanwhile, Matt Campbell is a game over .500 in four years at ISU and underachieved last season, going 7-6, when they were preseason Top 20 by most everyone. His current recruiting class is outside of the Top 40.

Thank you for the comparison. And, I don't think post #12 from the thread below is aging well...so far.

I appreciate that, La45N.

Iowa owns the eastern part of the state. Nebraska owns a slice of real estate in the west along the Missouri River. The central part of the state, which includes Des Moines, has seen a slow but noticeable increase in Iowa State fans. It started from the pits, though, because ISU has had such a dismal sports history.

This increase in popularity really began during the successful Hoiberg basketball years. What's kept ISU from exploding any further is the football program, which has been one of the worst in the country for the past hundred years or so (its last league title was in 1912, just months after the Titanic sank, when it claimed the vaunted Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association championship).

ISU actually has a bigger enrollment now than UI. Things are changing. And Matt Campbell is a really solid coach who I think will be there for a long time.
Anyone that has spent any time in Iowa can tell you this: outside of Ames, no one follows ISU. Hyperbole, but I'll bet the ratio is 100:1 Hogeyes.

What the staff Allegedly did. And if you are (allegedly) a thief and cheat (allegedly), that applies to this situation in your character and credibility. As does the character and credibility of the head coach, for good or for bad.

Some serious Akrum-ony from the former RB. You don't get to make claims like this in a bubble, your actions and your character apply and speak.
Agree and good play on words.

Meh seems like BF is an asshole, Kirk is heartless tyrant, and Wadley is a bitter ex player who is made he didnt make millions off of football because he went to Iowa and is not a white OL or TE.

I think the one thing that is abundantly clear in all of this is that Brian Ferentz is an ahole. Not going to pass any sort of judgement on whether or not he is racist as well but he is pretty clearly a prick who probably feels untouchable because of his daddy. There have been enough stories about things he has said and done to make me feel very confident in saying that.

Will be interesting to see what happens to him when Kirk finally retires or steps down. I bet he won't be the heir apparent he probably thinks he is going to be, especially after all of this that has been happening.

Anyone that has spent any time in Iowa can tell you this: outside of Ames, no one follows ISU. Hyperbole, but I'll bet the ratio is 100:1 Hogeyes.
Well, that's simply not true at all, and I actually live here.

What is true is that the Hawkeyes still have the lead in state popularity, but it's not as substantial as it used to be.

I don’t know what really happened here. If the allegations (in the tweets) of stiffing business partners and fans are true that would indicate questionable character at best. Not to mention the allegations around the pressure to recruit his brother. So yeah, I’d take his stories with a huge grain of salt without a significant amount of evidence and corroboration, rather than two minutes of internet investigation. Put aside your hatred of Ferentz and Iowa for a brief moment - that bizarre tweet from Akrum adds up for you? He may have motive with a problematic post-Iowa career path?
If Wadley was the first player to come forward it would be one thing, but when you have dozens of other players having similar stories it adds credibility in my view.

I think the one thing that is abundantly clear in all of this is that Brian Ferentz is an ahole. Not going to pass any sort of judgement on whether or not he is racist as well but he is pretty clearly a prick who probably feels untouchable because of his daddy. There have been enough stories about things he has said and done to make me feel very confident in saying that.

Will be interesting to see what happens to him when Kirk finally retires or steps down. I bet he won't be the heir apparent he probably thinks he is going to be, especially after all of this that has been happening.

Yeah, one would think the nepotist beneficiaries (ie Jr or Jr-ette) in any family business or in this case Iowa football would have a healthy dose of humility but in my experience the opposite is all too often the case. If anything they tend to be much worse than Sr or Mrs. I think we can all agree BF is a female cleansing product.

If Wadley was the first player to come forward it would be one thing, but when you have dozens of other players having similar stories it adds credibility in my view.

Dozens of other stories? Can you link me? I’ve only heard of a few instances of Chris Doyle being inappropriate and a few on BF that were less racial IMO.

Matt Campbell is the Jeff Brohm of the big 12
(For the record I think both are good coaches)

On vacation along with the in-laws right now...all from Iowa and all Hawkeye fans. I've been told that this is how coaching was done back then (waaaaaaay back in 2017, I guess) and players are getting too soft, Doyle was just overpaid, and this will all blow over....a non-story. And as we wrapped up the discussion, I got a "row the boat" from them.
Oy, it's only Tuesday...

Well, that's simply not true at all, and I actually live here.

What is true is that the Hawkeyes still have the lead in state popularity, but it's not as substantial as it used to be.
Ok, I'll give you 9:1, with the big uptick in people that have been forced to move to Iowa.

Matt Campbell is the Jeff Brohm of the big 12
(For the record I think both are good coaches)
Seems to be a pretty good comparison. Each have a signature win over their league’s marquee program (OU/OSU). Have shown some improvement in talent and wins. But still in the 6/7/8 wins regime. The 8-5 season for Campbell was pretty nice, but regressed last year a bit.

Im more curious to see how NDSU’s previous coach does at K-State.

I lived in Iowa from '92 to '97. During part of that time, ISU had Troy Davis at RB when he put up back-to-back 2,000 yard seasons. But, despite having one of the best RB's in the country, ISU was not even close to Iowa in popularity and media attention.

Back then, Iowa had 3 separate radio networks carrying Hawkeye games. On Saturday, you could be anywhere in the state (outside of Ames) and hear Iowa all day long. 1st the preview show, then the pre-game show, then the play-by-play, then the post-game show, and then the call-in shows. I'm talking 9 to 10 hours non-stop. to paraphrase John Lennon, Hayden Fry was more popular than Jesus.

Yeah, the ISU basketball team had its moments with Hoiberg, but in football, the two programs are not even in the same universe.

On vacation along with the in-laws right now...all from Iowa and all Hawkeye fans. I've been told that this is how coaching was done back then (waaaaaaay back in 2017, I guess) and players are getting too soft, Doyle was just overpaid, and this will all blow over....a non-story. And as we wrapped up the discussion, I got a "row the boat" from them.
Oy, it's only Tuesday...
Whoa, livin' behind enemy lines.

I'm good with them firing the son and keeping the dad. Let this hang over IWOAs head for the next decade. Every year we can bring up the fact that they have a racist head coach and that IWOA decided money was more important than them tackling racism in their program. Let 'em drag this out and it'll drag 'em down.

Top Bottom