More 2012 wins, Gophers or Vikings?

popeyoung5

Reaction score
They tied last year with 3 wins each. I see the Gophers with 6-7 wins and the Vikings with 5-6 wins. Are the Vegas over/under in wins posted yet?

Because anyone who thinks the Vikes don't distract from the Gophs in a small market is nuts. Go Gophers! Boo Vikes!

The viles will go 2-14 or 3-13, that defense is a mess, and the line is still a big ??? Not to mention AP isn't healthy as for the gophes I see 5-6 wins, they'll figure out away to win two B1G games and they'll win either three or four non conference games. I base this on nothing lol so take it with a grain of salt

It's apples and oranges. The Gophers have to win half of the schedule to get to six wins. The Vikes can play like absolute dirt in 10 games and still get to six wins.

The Gophers don't have 4 cupcake games.

Agreed. How can anyone who watched this team lose in the last two seasons to teams like South Dakota, NDSU, and New Mexico State, sit there and look at the schedule and say "Well there's four cupcake games right there". Baby steps, let's try winning a home opener against what is seemingly a "cupcake" opponent once again, and then we can move on from there. Do I presume we will? Yes. But I presumed we would the previous two years too.

The " Little Darlings" of the state will remain in the hearts of the minions even if they don't win as many games as the Gophers. It is a much younger fan base that attend the Viking games. It is a hard drinking, lunch pail, tailgating crowd that for the most part is half tanked before kickoff. It is the same crowd at other NFL cities. The NFL has past Major League Baseball as America's game. I'm resigned to the fact that the Gophers will never replace the Vikings as the #1 football team in the state. 50 some years of failure lost us a whole generation of Gopher fans. That is a steep hill to climb.

"How can anyone who watched this team lose in the last two seasons to teams like NDSU."

Losing to the FCS National Champions is nothing to be ashamed of, Kansas did it too.

"How can anyone who watched this team lose in the last two seasons to teams like NDSU."

Losing to the FCS National Champions is nothing to be ashamed of, Kansas did it too.

When you are in the Big 10, I am ashamed of it. It is embarrassing to the program to lose to an FCS team, even if they are National Champions.

Both programs have a ton of upgrading to do on both sides of the ball. And marginal QB play at best. I think the Gophers have a better chance to make a bowl than the Queens do getting to the playoffs. Either would be a surprise and each team would call that a successful season.

Agreed. How can anyone who watched this team lose in the last two seasons to teams like South Dakota, NDSU, and New Mexico State, sit there and look at the schedule and say "Well there's four cupcake games right there". Baby steps, let's try winning a home opener against what is seemingly a "cupcake" opponent once again, and then we can move on from there. Do I presume we will? Yes. But I presumed we would the previous two years too.

Monty is right on. I don't have to imagine how they could lose to a team with less talent, i have watched it over and over and over. Parski asked correctly- "Why?"

The " Little Darlings" of the state will remain in the hearts of the minions even if they don't win as many games as the Gophers. It is a much younger fan base that attend the Viking games. It is a hard drinking, lunch pail, tailgating crowd that for the most part is half tanked before kickoff. It is the same crowd at other NFL cities. The NFL has past Major League Baseball as America's game. I'm resigned to the fact that the Gophers will never replace the Vikings as the #1 football team in the state.<U><STRONG> 50 some years of failure lost us a whole generation of Gopher fans. That is a steep hill to climb</STRONG></U>.
<BR><BR>Agreed.  The only people that greet me with "Go Gophers" when I walk in to a bar or restaurant wearing my maroon & gold are 70 and 80 year olds.<BR><BR>

As to the original post - my best guess is 7 wins for the Vikes and 6 for the Gophers. Both teams do have similar issues - need better QB play, more consistent line play on both sides of the ball, and the secondary needs to show major improvement for both teams. I also think each team is trying to follow a similar blueprint in building for the future - bringing in good, young talent with an emphasis on speed and athleticism.

And, both teams have, in the past, shown an unfortunate tendency to lose games that, on paper, they should have been able to win.

As I've said before, I don't think one teams' success or failure has much of an impact on the other team. The two teams have very different fan bases, so a bad year for the Vikes will not affect the Gophers' attendance or overall level of public support, and vice versa.

I will still be in front of my TV every Saturday and Sunday, cheering and swearing.

For me, a Gopher loss hurts for a week. A Viking loss hurts until 3:05 PM Sunday.

Last year we would make it a point to eat at the Monte Carlo Club off 3rd and Washington. We stopped 3 or 4 times after the games. I can honestly say 75% of the Gopher fans were over 50. Now I realize this is somewhat of an upscale bar/Resturant, but still pretty geriatric if you ask me.I
think we will need several 8-9-10 win seasons before the the football fans in Minnesota start giving the Gophers some love.

I'm not as down on either of these teams as many around here. The Vikings lost 9 games last year by 7 points or less. They're not a playoff team by any stretch of the imagination, but my guess is that they'll be improved this year due to better QB play, a deep threat at WR in Simpson, a much better OL (the simple addition of Kahlil is huge), and an improved secondary (return of Chris Cook, drafting of the ND kid, and depth added in FA).

The Gophers are moving in the right direction with better coaching, strength and conditioning, and general toughness than I've seen from them in many years. Their scheme is solid and a great fit for the Big Ten. Gray will be better, the running game will improve with the addition of a couple backs and a better OL, and the secondary should be a lot better with return of Troy Stoooodamire and the addition of the JUCO kid at CB (who by all accounts is a BT player).

Anyway, neither is going to be a great team, but I'd predict about 7 wins for the Vikings and 5 for the Gophers.

.500 for both - Improvement for both and Bowl game for the Gophers.

A better measure is winning percentage. I'm by no means a Vikings fan, but if you look at the schedule, the could have 7 wins before their week 11 bye. The schedule is soft and the NFL certainly isn't like it was 10 years ago. Teams still take years to progress (like the Lions), but a few key moves here and there and the one-season turnaround isn't quite as elusive as it used to be (Bengals, 49ers, Broncos last year).

...neither is going to be a great team, but I'd predict about 7 wins for the Vikings and 5 for the Gophers.
MGGopher is on to something here...

Both local squads should improve over last year.

For the Gophers, the Homecoming game against Northwestern will be huge. Should be a nice October afternoon - ideal for outdoor football...the students will be on campus, as will the alums.

A victory will provide a lot of momentum and should keep the turnstiles at TCF Bank Stadium crankin' for the remainder of the 2012 season.
OTOH, a HC game loss to Northwestern might send the season into another tailspin, in which 3-9 would be likely.
Gotta beat Northwestern on oct. 13 2012.

Both teams should improve. The Vikes have more games, and there is more parity in the NFL, thus the Vikings have to be favored in this regard. That said, I do believe the Gophers could make greater strides in year two under a new coach, and could beat those odds. Regardless, I'll take the Vikings based on aforementioned factors.

MGGopher is on to something here...

Both local squads should improve over last year.

For the Gophers, the Homecoming game against Northwestern will be huge. Should be a nice October afternoon - ideal for outdoor football...the students will be on campus, as will the alums.

A victory will provide a lot of momentum and should keep the turnstiles at TCF Bank Stadium crankin' for the remainder of the 2012 season.
OTOH, a HC game loss to Northwestern might send the season into another tailspin, in which 3-9 would be likely.
Gotta beat Northwestern on oct. 13 2012.

OUCH!!

Obviously, needed to beat Northwestern...:cry:

Top Bottom