Monday morning blues

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
Anyone else still not over the loss? I really thought we'd punch Wisconsin in the mouth and break that Minnesota stereotype of always losing the big one. It has been "so far" an awful weekend for Minny sports. Maybe the Vikings can come through for us tonight!?

We did punch them in the mouth. They got up and KO'd us. I had a feeling that the Penn State game took our energy for the season.

As is my custom after a loss, I flipped off college football, Twitter, and Gopherhole after the game. Just dipping my toes back in today. Still feel awful. This will take a while. Wish we played Wisconsin again next week. It doesn't work that way.

My brain is in a constant loop of sadness, like a broken computer or a Roomba that just bashes against two walls the whole time: Axe, Rose Bowl, Big 10 Championship game, Gameday rewatch, game rewatch, polls, etc. etc. None of this is going to happen. Brain is still adjusting.

Don't want to talk about it but can't find anything to take up that space in my stunted brain either.

Anyone else still not over the loss? I really thought we'd punch Wisconsin in the mouth and break that Minnesota stereotype of always losing the big one. It has been "so far" an awful weekend for Minny sports. Maybe the Vikings can come through for us tonight!?
Gotta learn how to win. Sometimes I forget about that, as I’ve won at everything my entire life. Very successful. Gophers need to learn.
Go Seahawks!!!

Doing fine. Mrs. Billd still down. She really likes winning after sitting in that weather.

I'd like to remind people of the historic win Gopher volleyball had on Saturday night. I know it isn't football but the weekend wasn't a total loss. At least not for me. (I'd rather have the football win but trying to remain positive per PJ's instructions)

I'm positive still. In comparison to all the polls how well we would do this year, I would think you're positive as well. Season isn't over.

After sitting through several epic Gopher losses in the Mason era and the Kill/Claeys era to a lesser extent, and even more epic Vikings losses over the decades, I've learned to pare my grief somewhat. Plus, unlike the 2003 loss to Michigan which I thought was a potential program changing game (I was whipped mentally by that one), I didn't get that feeling after the Saturday game. The very good season, huge win vs. Penn State, and Fleck's positive reputation gave the Gophs a ton of credibility nationally which should stick in terms of recruiting and fans (I hope).

This is the worst I've felt after a loss since the 1999 NFC Championship game, maybe worse since Gopher basketball/football are my 1/1A and Vikes are 2.

I can only imagine the disappointment the staff and players feel. Let's hope it doesn't linger as we have a bowl game to win!

Go Gophers!!

This is the worst I've felt after a loss since the 1999 NFC Championship game, maybe worse since Gopher basketball/football are my 1/1A and Vikes are 2.

I can only imagine the disappointment the staff and players feel. Let's hope it doesn't linger as we have a bowl game to win!

Go Gophers!!

Since the first game of the season the line play on both O and D has not been of the highest level that one expects from a championship, Top Ten team. The PSU win was so good that perhaps we did not see that that duel problem was still there even in that great win. The Iowa loss and then the weak win agaisnt Northwestern just seemed to illustrate that weakeness to me again. So, going into the Badger game I just did not have the confidence others had. I hoped, but did not believe we were the better, overall, team. So, for me it was just more "reality is cruel". A super encouraging season where, in year three, we just weren't there yet.

Since the first game of the season the line play on both O and D has not been of the highest level that one expects from a championship, Top Ten team. The PSU win was so good that perhaps we did not see that that duel problem was still there even in that great win. The Iowa loss and then the weak win agaisnt Northwestern just seemed to illustrate that weakeness to me again. So, going into the Badger game I just did not have the confidence others had. I hoped, but did not believe we were the better, overall, team. So, for me it was just more "reality is cruel". A super encouraging season where, in year three, we just weren't there yet.
I would not characterize the NW win as weak. Gophs dominated in just about every stat. Gophs led by 22 until NW scored TD very late in the 4th quarter...

I’m over it. We’re 0-0 in the Bowl Game Season now.

On a serious note, it sucked but the day was super fun overall aside from losing and getting food poisoning. This year was a blast. I think it was a great season. Not best season since 1905 or whatever, but the best season since I’ve been old enough to follow the team.

As a Minnesotan, my heart is hardened to gut-busting losses...however, this one still really sucks. Was SO looking forward to the Ultimate Gopher Saturday of my life..hosting flippin' Gameday and beating the red menace that afternoon. Really sucks.

Still moping a bit. Trying not to think about it, but I don't have as many chances left as most of you. Though, I have experienced two Rose Bowls so there's that.

Actually, as the weekend went on, I got more and more upset with the Iowa loss. Sorry, folks, but I thought Wisconsin pretty much was the better team. Or more accurately, the better team in that weather. But we should have sealed it at Iowa. Our conservative approach on defense that first half really, really cost us.

I picked 7 wins maybe 8 if we stayed healthy and got a few breaks. So I am good with the 10 wins and a top side bowl game coming.

The guys put themselves in the position to go 12-0 but did not play their best football against Wisky and the Hogeyes. For me, that was epic, something I have been waiting for a very, very long time. About 65 years or so as I became a Gopher fan about the age of 9. But it never happened. So close but a lot of disappointment watching the guys come up short.

I hope I can hang around long enough for the Gophers to be in the position to go 12-0 at least one more time.

I was bummed and mopey most of yesterday. Today I printed off next years schedule, purchased next years season tickets and bought a new gopher sweatshirt. I decided I am going to look forward. The view is unbelievable.

I would not characterize the NW win as weak. Gophs dominated in just about every stat. Gophs led by 22 until NW scored TD very late in the 4th quarter...

With no passing game at all they ran quite successfully against us compared to the entirety of the rest of their schedule. Same with their total points scored. Yes, we won convincingly, but I was discouraged by how well they ran through us with the Badgers coming to town.

Still moping a bit. Trying not to think about it, but I don't have as many chances left as most of you. Though, I have experienced two Rose Bowls so there's that.

Actually, as the weekend went on, I got more and more upset with the Iowa loss. Sorry, folks, but I thought Wisconsin pretty much was the better team. Or more accurately, the better team in that weather. But we should have sealed it at Iowa. Our conservative approach on defense that first half really, really cost us.

"Our conservative approach on defense (against Iowa) that first half really, really cost us." I totally agree Mulli, as I call it the Schiano/Smith defense. It was 2nd and 3rd and short the whole 1st half.
If you noticed the Wisc. corners were up and in our WR faces almost all game long.

With no passing game at all they ran quite successfully against us compared to the entirety of the rest of their schedule. Same with their total points scored. Yes, we won convincingly, but I was discouraged by how well they ran through us with the Badgers coming to town.
Huh? Gophs held NW to 50 yards under their average rush yards per game and to almost half their average yards per rush. NW got a garbage TD and two point conversion at the end of the game.

Top Bottom