Moderately OT: Vikings doing white out game

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
There's always such angst here when the Gophers try this. Most of the talk revolves giving away free t-shirts for it to work and the U being cheap by not doing so or finding a sponsor

FWIW i thought the stripe out game was pretty damn solid!

Reading the tweet, it doesn't sound like they're giving away white t-shirts either and they're a multi billion dollar franchise.

Will be curious how this goes.

There's always such angst here when the Gophers try this. Most of the talk revolves giving away free t-shirts for it to work and the U being cheap by not doing so or finding a sponsor

FWIW i thought the stripe out game was pretty damn solid!

Reading the tweet, it doesn't sound like they're giving away white t-shirts either and they're a multi billion dollar franchise.

Will be curious how this goes.

Somebody in marketing was trying to justify a pay raise for 2023

I just don't get why teams go against the colors of gear fans are likely to have. Reality is that the most common Vikings gear is purple and most common Gopher gear is Maroon.

Now granted, the game is indoors and most people will own something white so I am sure they can pull it off but it will mean most are not wearing Vikings gear in order to make it happen.

Fun idea. And to add to it i hope there is a nice steady/light snow.

as far as going something other than purple. meh. its white. and i would bet a ton of the fans going to the game will have white vikings jerseys. I will put my purple 18 jersey away for that game and throw on my white Harry jersey!

I just don't get why teams go against the colors of gear fans are likely to have. Reality is that the most common Vikings gear is purple and most common Gopher gear is Maroon.

Now granted, the game is indoors and most people will own something white so I am sure they can pull it off but it will mean most are not wearing Vikings gear in order to make it happen.
Or, as I am sure the marketing team is hoping, fans without any white team gear will go out and buy a road jersey or some other white Viking gear.

To be fair a whiteout does show best on TVs no matter the size. A blackout during a day game is also pretty effective. Since I don't have a smartphone have no idea what is effective looking at a post-card sized screen.

I shutter at the thought of a Bison green-out although I bet they would pull it off effortlessly as a fan base.

I think it's cool. I don't remember an NFL franchise trying to pull something like this off, let alone making it happen (which I think they will).

If I still had my season tix I could leave my purple eight-four in the closet for one game and figure it out.

Or, as I am sure the marketing team is hoping, fans without any white team gear will go out and buy a road jersey or some other white Viking gear.
I wouldn't doubt one bit that this is a factor for them. May as well try and sell some gear. I am sure the U sold a ton of gold gear when they did the stripe out.

The U got in bed with Fanatics, a disgusting decision.
Fanatics sucks but not sure it has done much except ... make me want to buy stuff less... I mean there's jack shit in the stadium store even ...

Dumb, but for different reasons.

Can that game get flexed?

If so, that's even cooler.

While I agree with you, my gear is about 50/50 Maroon/ Gold now.

I'll be there with my family, wearing a white visanthe shiancoe jersey.
Should be a good game, NFC East has our number though.

Just seems odd to set up a "white" out in an intraNFC game, non-rival which will only be in regional markets or those with the NFL package.

Should be interesting to see some of the old jersey coming out of the closet for the white out. Or go to any local sports mall store and look at the clearance rack. Former Vikings galore for 25 to 30 bucks in white.or go get a white JJ jersey before they sell out

Questionable color choice. Just do purple and don't overthink it.

It's Christmas time. Winter wonderland. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
Sounds like overthinking it.

It’s a pretty good money grab though to get people to buy white Vikings stuff though.

Last edited:

Who's they? Your post makes it seem like the Vikings are saying this but it seems like a random poster comparing it.

I was at Happy Valley for the white out game and it's crazy with 109,000+ people all in white. I hope the Vikes pull it off but to come anywhere near that atmosphere is going to be tough.

Sounds like overthinking it.

It’s a pretty good money grab though to get people to buy white Vikings stuff though.
very fair point. only vikings jersey i have is a white one so im all for it 😭

If I attend, I could certainly take my shirt off. If done only when the Giants have the ball, the glare could be a real problem for their receivers.

Who's they? Your post makes it seem like the Vikings are saying this but it seems like a random poster comparing it.

I was at Happy Valley for the white out game and it's crazy with 109,000+ people all in white. I hope the Vikes pull it off but to come anywhere near that atmosphere is going to be tough.
I'm not sure who "they" are either, whether this was a press release or just some reporter's thoughts. I guess it's nice they are giving college football the attention it deserves.

I rarely go to a Vikings game but I'll be at this one. I've been to tons of Gopher football games. I see how it compares to a college football atmosphere.

The all white road uni's have always been my favorite.
As a kid I remember this 1975 game played in a Buffalo Snow Globe thinking the Vikings had a distinct stealth advantage.

Some interesting footnotes, Simpson and Foreman were both trying to break Sayres' Season TD Record. Tarkenton was also trying to surpass Unitas for Career TD Passes.

Top Bottom