Mo Walker Injury/Status Update Thread

From what I heard it was the PCL not the ACL, but who knows. Rehab on the PCL is 6 to 12 months, but for a guy his size???????????????

Some reading information about the PCL: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00420

Tubby has been asked several times about Mo. Most recently he stated that Mo is working out but is not anywhere ready for competition. So Tubby has been very vague on the subject. My guess is because no one really knows.

We would be a much better team if we could get him back for even February and March. I don't know if they would give up a year of eligibility for 6 weeks. If they are seriously competing for some kind of title then they may.

Mo Walker

I heard in Orlando, that Mo will decide Feb 1st whether he will redshirt or not.

Tweet from Marcus:

"Another thing to keep an eye on is Mo Walker's status. I've heard again there's still possibility he could play in Big Ten season if needed."

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher said:
Tweet from Marcus:

"Another thing to keep an eye on is Mo Walker's status. I've heard again there's still possibility he could play in Big Ten season if needed."

Go Gophers!!

He wouldn't be able to play the last 1/3 of the season and be eligible for a hardship would he? That would be a little too convenient.

He wouldn't be able to play the last 1/3 of the season and be eligible for a hardship would he? That would be a little too convenient.

Of course not. Some of the requirements of a hardship waiver:

+ injury has result in you being unable to play the through the end of the season
+ can't play any games in the second half of the year
+ can't play more than 30% (as defined) of total games.

Playing in the last third would be at odds with all of those requirements. Just being ABLE to play at all before early March would mean he's not eligible. But, he's got a redshirt year available that could be used this year if he doesn't play... and if there were to be a future injury year, he'd be looking at a great chance of getting an additional year on his five-year clock.

Per Shooter:

"It's looking like Gophers 6-foot-10 sophomore Mo Walker, still recovering from knee surgery, will get a redshirt basketball season."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_19593177

Go Gophers!!

one thing I know about Tubby, he doesn't put guys in harms way and wouldn't pressure the kid to get back. If he's healthy enough to come back and willing to sacrifice a year of eligibility that's one thing but I know it won't be because Tubby pressured him.

Mo is a great prospect when healthy and thank god Tubby is not a heartless, win at all costs type of coach. this kid will hold down the 5 spot for the next 3 years if he gets healthy and will be a very good player on top of that.

From Marcus' article

Smith said sophomore center Mo Walker has been working out with the team and is almost ready to be "fully engaged" in practice while recovering from a knee injury last season. Walker hasn't been cleared to run yet.

My gut reaction would be to hold him out for the year unless he is 100% ready to go, ready to contribute 20 minutes per game in the Big Ten right away. Getting him back in late Jan., letting him "work his way back into game shape/rotation" and not getting a 100% Mo until Feb. would be a disappointment.

I hope the staff takes a very methodical approach to this decision, has some long talks with Mo and his family and come to the conclusion that is in the best interests of Mo long term. I'd hate to see him end up with about 120 minutes played over 10 games this year and wake up in late March as a junior already!

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, I think we gotta redshirt him. I don't want him to have played less than a full season in his first two years with us, he's too valuable for that.

Don't you think if the Gopher's happened to play themselves into contention for the Big Ten title, Mo was needed at some point, that they wouldn't play him. If they are middle of the pack and it gets to be mid February before he is ready I doubt he plays.

Don't you think if the Gopher's happened to play themselves into contention for the Big Ten title, Mo was needed at some point, that they wouldn't play him. If they are middle of the pack and it gets to be mid February before he is ready I doubt he plays.

Only if we have a legitimate shot at a conference title, not just a mathamatical chance. And even then I think Tubby would be tempted to stick with what has gotten them this far and save a year of Mo's eligibility. Mo and EE could be quite the front court combo as seniors.

joys, if the Gophers played themselves in contention up to that point without him, go for broke the rest of the way without him, and also plan for next year. It is really simple.

I think its a tough call. Cannot see how he would be ready for 20 minutes a game, even if knee is fine, as conditioning takes time. If he can contribute though, I think it puts our team over the hump and squarely into the tournament. We could use him, thats for sure, but if it takes him another month to be in shape, why bother?

From Marcus:

"Gophers sophomore center Mo Walker dressed in uniform and participated in the pre-gram warmups. But I wasn’t surprised at all that he sat on the bench the entire game. I’ve heard he’s still strongly considering redshirting even though he could be cleared soon to do more in practice. I don’t think it would be worth it for him to play now. He wouldn’t make that much of a difference coming off the knee injury. And imagine the player he could be as a fifth-year senior down the road alongside another redshirt post player Elliott Eliason."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ards-are-settling-for-too-many-outside-shots/

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, how dare you try to make sense of this situation with several of our GopherHolers who's only motto is "I want it and I want it now".

Top Bottom