Mo Ibrahim a Heisman Sleeper according to RJ Young

I bet him at 150:1 last year and felt really great about that after he dropped 30-163-2 on Ohio State in 3 quarters. If he stays healthy he's an experienced guy in a great system for RB stats.

With that injury, we should be happy if Mo can be back to 80% of his former self.
I had a similar level of optimism around Mo's ability to return but Cam Akers has been playing well in the post-season after a similar injury. Sounds like it's an easy surgery to mess up, but at least now there's a NFL comp he can look to.

Apparently surgeons compare Achilles surgery to sewing two mop heads together one strand at a time, but Cam came back and made an impact.

Last edited:

If Ibrahim comes back and is even mentioned in Heisman voting, it would mean he has had one of the most successful Achilles surgeries in football and medical history.

Hey, if that happens, great.

But honestly, given the track record of RB's coming back from an Achilles, I will be happy if Mo is just able to play this year and make some kind of a contribution.

And I do not want to see him carrying the ball 25+ times a game. I'm fine with RB by committee.

Really surprised someone would even both to put a running back coming off an achilies injury on a list like this. Especially before that player has even had a chance to demonstrate that they are healed up and ready to go again.

Mo staying healthy and getting drafted is what I am most concerned about coming off his torn Achilles injury. The Heisman talk is a bit premature.

Achilles injury isn’t that big a deal anymore. Yes it sucks because it ruins a season and it takes time to recover but the vast majority of players can come back 100%.

Achilles injury isn’t that big a deal anymore. Yes it sucks because it ruins a season and it takes time to recover but the vast majority of players can come back 100%.
General wisdom has always been that few, not vast majority, do that. Is their new data that changes that perception?

No NFL back has ever suffered this injury and returned to their previous form. Even Cam Akers is not at his pre-injury level.

It’s weird. When it comes to Mo and his return, it seems the predictions fall on opposite extremes. Either it is assumed he will pick right up where he left off in that Ohio State game, or he isn’t mentioned at all. For the most part, GH is one place where most people “get it” and understand the reality will likely be somewhere in the middle.

It does feel like some people don’t understand the seriousness of an Achilles injury and simply assume it is like an ACL. It isn’t. I would love to see Mo running free in pre-injury form. But I personally think the over/under on 2022 total rushing yards for him will be 450. Not much Heisman history of 450 yard running backs. I hope I’m wrong. If I am, Mo deserves to be the biggest story in college football next season.

As others have said, Achilles injuries are impossible to 100% come back from. I love my boy Mo but I don't see it

here's the issue:

If Mo comes back at - let's say - 85 to 90% - what does that mean in game terms?

if he is a half-step slower, that might mean not hitting the hole on time, or getting caught by a LB when he would not have been able to catch Mo before the injury.

Mo is not a "speed" back. His game is strength and vision. Those hopefully will not be impacted. But again, if he is just a half-step slower, that can make the difference between a 3-yard run and a 10-yard run.

Look, I hope he comes back at 100%. But you can't count on it.

Same story with Potts. He might be an even bigger question mark.

Really surprised someone would even both to put a running back coming off an achilies injury on a list like this. Especially before that player has even had a chance to demonstrate that they are healed up and ready to go again.
Sleeper...

I wouldn't even take him at 300/1 for Heisman

The last running back to win the Heisman was Reggie Bush in 2005.

In this era, it's always going to be a qb.

In fact, only 7 of the winners have been running backs, 5 coming from USC. Marcus Allen, OJ Simson, Charles White, Mike Garrett, and Bush.

The last running back to win the Heisman was Reggie Bush in 2005.

In this era, it's always going to be a qb.

In fact, only 7 of them winners have been running backs, 5 coming from USC. Marcus Allen, OJ, Charles White, Mike Garrett, and Bush.
Derrick Henry won in 2015, Mark Ingram in 2009

Neither of them should have won it though

Top Bottom