MNUFC's $10M deal for UMN"S TCF Bank Stadium

Seems like a good deal on both sides. I think some will be surprised how many people attend the games even at TCF. MNUFC has almost as many season ticket deposits as the gophers sold season tickets for this season. I have my deposits, I heard today they were going to have a press conference and release the seating details. I can't wait! I love attending games at TCF so this is a win win win for me.

I hope the team does well. I am a very casual soccer fan - mainly watch the USA team in the World Cup and Olympics.

But - I am old enough to have been around for the days of MN Kicks games at Met Stadium. (basically, people who didn't know squat about soccer getting stoned and drunk in the parking lot, then stumbling into the stadium at some point during the game and trying to figure out what was going on.)

From that time (mid-70's on) I have been hearing the same story every 4-5 years. "Soccer is the next big thing. All the kids are playing soccer. The young people and suburban parents are embracing soccer and will turn away from football, because football is too violent and causes too many injuries."

hasn't happened yet. Soccer (IMHO) is a niche sport in the US - similar to hockey. Big in certain areas and cities, but lacks true national appeal.
I am also old enough to remember all the drunk, stoned people who were in the parking lot while I played soccer with all the little kids. There have been some changes between the 1970'sand 1980's like a stable pro soccer league that's been around for 21 years it's the longest running pro soccer league this country has ever had. They have a salary cap, actually been developing American soccer players and figured out who to market their sport to, young fans under 30. Most importantly MNUFC will own their 18.5k stadium which when it opens will be the nicest in North America. We have to look at pro soccer today as being in the 1920's to 1930's the golden age of pro soccer-football.

Top Bottom