MN/wi Longest Continuously Played Series in Major College Football Streak to Likely Be Broken

Okay. I'm not going to look it up but I assume we played during the Spanish Flu, WW1 and WW2?
We didn't play in 1916, which was during the middle of WWI, but on my quick search I couldn't find a reason for why we didn't play.

EDIT: I got the year mixed up, they didn't play in 1906, not 1916.

Last edited:

We didn't play in 1916, which was during the middle of WWI, but on my quick search I couldn't find a reason for why we didn't play.
So consecutive isn't really consecutive?

If the 1997 Final Four doesn't count because we did the same thing everyone else did but did a horrible job of hiding it, I don't see how this counts.

If no college football is played it's fair to ignore this season but if there is a college football season and the game isn't played, it's no longer continuously played.

If you define it as the longest continuously played conference series then it would still hold that title as there was no 2020 Big Ten season.
We did not do what everyone did. Many schools cheat. We did what some schools did.

Dumb. Asterisks are even dumber. Its consecutive seasons. If they play in the spring, all possible seasons have been played since 1906.

If they play in the spring, it will still be the 2020 season. Just started late.

If somehow they can play for the Axe in the Spring of 2021, agree streak lives. The asterisk would be to explain:

- Why it happened in a different calendar year, which doesn't happen for regular season games.
- Why it took place after the presumptive BCS Playoffs
-Diferentiate it from the 2021 game, scheduled currently in Oct.

Hope the contest happens, I would love to see the game. More importantly it would indicate significant progress on the Covid front.

Maybe just saying "2020" would be enough of an asterisk but over time memories fade. Can't say I knew whole lot about the 1918-20 Spanish flu until recently. 1919 there was no Stanley Cup due to the outbreak.

It should only become non-continuous when the two teams decide not to play eachother in a year in which both teams play a football season.

Also, does it realy matter? no.

We do not want to sink as low as NE whose only claim to fame presently is selling out their stadium since the last ice age.
That is false claim since unsold tickets are sold at a steep discount to a few donors so the "streak" can continue.

Applying calendar years to college sports is silly. Virtually all US schools from preK to PhD define a year from start of fall to the end of the following spring.

Classes and cohorts of players tied to each academic year have far more relevance. If the same coaches and players from this University year who would have faced each other this fall instead do so in the spring, (and then again Fall 2021) it counts and streak continues.

It would’ve been continuously played in the spring.

But this fall works too!

I think the streak is in serious peril again.

Minn could do a new state lockdown. Hope they exempt major college and professional sports teams that have intensive mitigation plans.

Proposal:

If the game isn't played ... match MN and Wisc up on the last week of the season when they match folks up based on W&L... because really who cares if that system is a bit dorked up? Axe game is more important.

Proposal:

If the game isn't played ... match MN and Wisc up on the last week of the season when they match folks up based on W&L... because really who cares if that system is a bit dorked up? Axe game is more important.

It was suggested on the Dan Patrick show this week, that the Badgers are close to being done for the year. If a 3rd game is cancelled making them no longer eligible for the Big 10 Title/playoffs that they would end it for the year. Camp Randall could be prepped as a field hospital.

I am fairly certain we are about a week away from March-May like lockdowns

There were something like 9 ICU beds in the 7 county metro at the beginning of the day on Thursday

True but I think only 18% are filled by Covid patients?

It was suggested on the Dan Patrick show this week, that the Badgers are close to being done for the year. If a 3rd game is cancelled making them no longer eligible for the Big 10 Title/playoffs that they would end it for the year. Camp Randall could be prepped as a field hospital.

Man ... maybe just light practices until we can play them then.

Gotta get the game in.

So rioters can get COVID? I thought it was impossible.

The point of not overflowing hospitals is so that people who would've otherwise not died, because they could get the emergency (but not lethal) care they needed, regardless if from covid or any other reason, don't die because the hospital is maxed out.

I thought Wisconsin would muddle through as a non-playing Coronavirus Cluster until Axe week, upon which they would all emerge like cicadas -- completely healthy, ventilated, and ready to face a stout Gopher defense.

I'm worried the Axe will get Covid hanging out with those guys in that state. Anyone heard about wood-borne transmission?

That’s exactly the problem. One disease is taking up a fifth of all ICU beds. There are dozens of other common diseases that are not going to decrease in incidence. Sure, perhaps other communicable diseases (influenza, other pneumonias) might decrease somewhat due to masks/hand washing but other ICU conditions like heart attacks, kidney failure, GI bleeding, overdoses, sepsis, stroke, trauma etc. all need ICU beds, in addition to some patients recovering from major surgery.

The point of not overflowing hospitals is so that people who would've otherwise not died, because they could get the emergency (but not lethal) care they needed, regardless if from covid or any other reason, don't die because the hospital is maxed out.

I wasn’t saying it isn’t an issue. It obviously is. Was just clarifying a point. Covid is bad, the spread is currently unmitigated. If this continues, we are in for some serious lockdowns and changes.

So it's all subjective anyway. Then we'll continue to claim it.

Central Florida "claims" a national championship, for cripes sake. I don't see anyone breaking into the stadium and ripping the signs down.

Don't be a dink. :cool:
I am heading down to grab that sign. Who is with me? Toga Toga Toga.

Probably should be on OTB, but I don't visit there. Just as an FYI that Covid is still very real. My daughter is an EM resident at a University teaching hospital (not bragging, just fact). Monday night she was examining a patient with flu like symptoms and he literally coughed in her face. Didn't try to cover up or turn his head. She was masked and goggled. Turns out he was Covid +. By Wednesday this week (about 36 hours) she was having symptoms and was tested as Covid +. Good news is she's not seriously ill but it can spread quickly even when taking precautions.

Sorry to hear that and hoping she recovers soon!

Top Bottom