MN Twins Fans Security - Gopher Stadium

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Went to a Twins baseball game and they have a new fan metal detector system at gates for people entering the game, its from a company called Evolv. Would be great if Gophers got this instead of their archaic system - at Twins gates nobody waiting in line to get in the game since nobody looking in your wife's bag or patting you down if you forget to take your phone out of your pocket or have a metal knee replacement (me). Apparently schools are installing these to (side note, i need to look closer at this company stock). Can the Gophers get this? because getting in the stadium before the game stinks w/ the long lines - who wants to to leave the tailgate party early?

Went to a Twins baseball game and they have a new fan metal detector system at gates for people entering the game, its from a company called Evolv. Would be great if Gophers got this instead of their archaic system - at Twins gates nobody waiting in line to get in the game since nobody looking in your wife's bag or patting you down if you forget to take your phone out of your pocket or have a metal knee replacement (me). Apparently schools are installing these to (side note, i need to look closer at this company stock). Can the Gophers get this? because getting in the stadium before the game stinks w/ the long lines - who wants to to leave the tailgate party early?
The Twins have always had the most efficient security/gate entry out of all the local teams. Gophers could learn a lot from them.

I hate the inconsistency of Gopher Stadium entry. We head to the stadium at a standard time, or if we anticipate a larger crowd we will start walking earlier. Despite our efforts, we get wildly different results. Sometimes we are in our seats for the entire 20+ minute band pregame show. Sometimes we miss the first few plays. On more than one occasion my wife has been in the stadium quite a bit earlier than me despite starting even in line (her in the bag inspection line, me in the No-bag line). It is maddening.

Ahh, the more than annual stadium entry thread. I'll add my regular comments. I can count on one hand, since the stadium opened, the times had to wait more than five minutes to get through security, and most were my fault for getting there late.

Ahh, the more than annual stadium entry thread. I'll add my regular comments. I can count on one hand, since the stadium opened, the times had to wait more than five minutes to get through security, and most were my fault for getting there late.
I'm with schnauzer on this. I'm usually getting to the gates around 30 minutes prior to kick. Sometimes I get to watch the band perform (Colorado) and others I've missed the first 5-10+ minutes of the 1st quarter (Purdue)

I get that going early solves everything but that doesn't mean stop looking at inefficiencies. At PSU with 109,000 I strolled in because they had more efficient scanners mentioned above. Same at Tampa and the Frozen Four.

I'm with schnauzer on this. I'm usually getting to the gates around 30 minutes prior to kick. Sometimes I get to watch the band perform (Colorado) and others I've missed the first 5-10+ minutes of the 1st quarter (Purdue)

I get that going early solves everything but that doesn't mean stop looking at inefficiencies. At PSU with 109,000 I strolled in because they had more efficient scanners mentioned above. Same at Tampa and the Frozen Four.
I waited a good 10 minutes getting into Beaver stadium and probably 10-15 minutes to get to our seats once inside, an hour before kickoff. That was after walking around to find the shortest entrance line. Also walked a good 15-20 minutes each way to and from where we parked.

I waited a good 10 minutes getting into Beaver stadium and probably 10-15 minutes to get to our seats once inside, an hour before kickoff. That was after walking around to find the shortest entrance line. Also walked a good 15-20 minutes each way to and from where we parked.
I don't think anyone is arguing there shouldn't be any wait (at least I'm not)...it's nice where there isn't! 10-15 mins is pretty reasonable for 100,000+ people. 30-40 minutes for a non-sold out 50K is stadium is another thing. There's areas of opportunity there.

The concourses at Beaver Stadium were really packed but that's a different discussion than security lines. For example when we were walking the concourse found out they blocked off part of one when the team came out. That messed everything up. Obviously that doesn't happen here.

Yup, was at the Twins game Thursday, and zipped right through security. It was nice.

Most of the bean counters in the AD could care less about the fan experience from getting into the stadium, the lines at the toilets, the inefficiency, supplies, and prices at the concession stands.
If you have to wait because of security because of the minuscule chance someone is bringing a bomb, too bad.

I can tell you it's the norm for the student entrance to wait 20...

Most of the bean counters in the AD could care less about the fan experience from getting into the stadium, the lines at the toilets, the inefficiency, supplies, and prices at the concession stands.
If you have to wait because of security because of the minuscule chance someone is bringing a bomb, too bad.
Eh I think they’ve made a lot of gameday improvements over the years, they care.

I can tell you it's the norm for the student entrance to wait 20...
Been to every game since it opened. Does that entrance get busy around 20 minutes before kickoff? Yes. I tailgate close to that entrance and the delays are usually student caused.

Yup, was at the Twins game Thursday, and zipped right through security. It was nice.
It was half full and l'm confident that a few thousand of them showed up after the first pitch.

I don't think anyone is arguing there shouldn't be any wait (at least I'm not)...it's nice where there isn't! 10-15 mins is pretty reasonable for 100,000+ people. 30-40 minutes for a non-sold out 50K is stadium is another thing. There's areas of opportunity there.

The concourses at Beaver Stadium were really packed but that's a different discussion than security lines. For example when we were walking the concourse found out they blocked off part of one when the team came out. That messed everything up. Obviously that doesn't happen here.
I don't think it's a different discussion because it is the time from parking or getting in line to getting to your seat.

My immediate reaction was skepticism of how this could effectively work at speed and so I googled efficacy of Evolv scanners and some pretty concerning links turned up. It may detect weapons and bombs as well as Mertz detected safeties. As designed and marketed in its current form it appears to be a half-baked boondoggle fueled by self-funded studies, marketing. Maybe the U is on the right track in terms of actual security.

Not sure of veracity here but has some interesting links.

In Utica, the 17-year-old’s weapon wasn’t the first knife, or gun, to bypass the system. Earlier that month, at a parents’ night, a law enforcement officer had walked through the system twice with his service revolver and was puzzled to find it was never detected. School authorities reached out to Evolv and were subsequently told to increase the sensitivity settings to the highest level.

The detector did finally go off: It identified a 7-year-old student’s lunch box as a bomb.

Last edited:

I go to over 20 sports events a year with Gopher football, Twins, Gopher hockey, MN United, and Wild being the main ones. Gopher football is by far the worst in terms of backups. I know about the issues at Gopher football so I'm usually in line at least 30 minutes before kickoff, but for the casual fan who isn't aware of the mess that it is, it can leave them with a bad experience. In my opinion the Gophers need to do everything they can to fix the entrance issues. Maybe talk to the pro teams to learn how to do it better???

Wait, there’s more. Heavy allegations. Produced by security screeners guild of America, or some truth here?

Inside this report, IPVM examines 1,000+ pages of documents showing how this reputable, national authority on public safety failed the public. Specifically, these documents show:

• Evolv paid NCS⁴ for the testing, which neither party disclosed and Evolv falsely called "fully independent."
  • NCS⁴ let Evolv devise its own testing process and criteria, resulting in a fundamentally-flawed scoring system.
  • Evolv directly edited the NCS⁴ report, going through at least 14 drafts - which IPVM obtained - including tracked changes naming Evolv executives that repeatedly deleted important material.
  • NCS⁴'s testing found Evolv did not reliably detect knives, with 0% detection for some knives and 53% overall for all knives tested. This was deleted from the public report.
  • Evolv did not detect non-ferrous metals, meaning it would not detect plastic explosives, or many types of improvised explosive devices (e.g. lead pipe bombs). This was deleted from the report.
  • Evaluators recommended that Evolv be transparent about these poor results, but these evaluator comments were deleted from the report.
  • NCS⁴ collaborated with Evolv on marketing and PR for the report.
  • NCS⁴ received additional tens of thousands in sponsorship payments from Evolv, including $10,000 luncheons.

My immediate reaction was skepticism of how this could effectively work at speed and so I googled efficacy of Evolv scanners and some pretty concerning links turned up. It may detect weapons and bombs as well as Mertz detected safeties. As designed and marketed in its current form it appears to be a half-baked boondoggle fueled by self-funded studies, marketing. Maybe the U is on the right track in terms of actual security.

Not sure of veracity here but has some interesting links

Point taken (hopefully these things work) but even in past years with the older style detectors, the Twins entry system was by far the fastest in town. And the Twins even allow people to bring small backpacks inside the stadium.

Wait, there’s more. Heavy allegations. Produced by security screeners guild of America, or some truth here?

Inside this report, IPVM examines 1,000+ pages of documents showing how this reputable, national authority on public safety failed the public. Specifically, these documents show:

• Evolv paid NCS⁴ for the testing, which neither party disclosed and Evolv falsely called "fully independent."
  • NCS⁴ let Evolv devise its own testing process and criteria, resulting in a fundamentally-flawed scoring system.
  • Evolv directly edited the NCS⁴ report, going through at least 14 drafts - which IPVM obtained - including tracked changes naming Evolv executives that repeatedly deleted important material.
  • NCS⁴'s testing found Evolv did not reliably detect knives, with 0% detection for some knives and 53% overall for all knives tested. This was deleted from the public report.
  • Evolv did not detect non-ferrous metals, meaning it would not detect plastic explosives, or many types of improvised explosive devices (e.g. lead pipe bombs). This was deleted from the report.
  • Evaluators recommended that Evolv be transparent about these poor results, but these evaluator comments were deleted from the report.
  • NCS⁴ collaborated with Evolv on marketing and PR for the report.
  • NCS⁴ received additional tens of thousands in sponsorship payments from Evolv, including $10,000 luncheons.
You're going to give one of the local TV channels a sweeps week story idea.

This idea of perceived security is ridiculous to begin with. For decades you could walk straight into a sporting event and everyone was just fine. Get rid of the damn things.

You're going to give one of the local TV channels a sweeps week story idea.

I’m still waiting for them to pick on, say, Twin Cities car dealers instead of all the nefarious activities at the U. Maybe Jason in the corner Stahl can take up the cross. 😆

This idea of perceived security is ridiculous to begin with. For decades you could walk straight into a sporting event and everyone was just fine. Get rid of the damn things.
I used to take someone in on a wheelchair… they just waved us through…

It’s just a ton of expense and time waited for nothing.

I remember when just your ticket got checked, totally different feel and experience. Was so much nicer.

Now it is like going through the airport:(

I used to take someone in on a wheelchair… they just waved us through…

It’s just a ton of expense and time waited for nothing.

I remember when just your ticket got checked, totally different feel and experience. Was so much nicer.

Now it is like going through the airport:(
Someone should start a poll...which is quicker - getting through security at Gopher football or MSP airport?

I don't think it's a different discussion because it is the time from parking or getting in line to getting to your seat.

No, the initial discussion was around getting through security at Gopher games. You added in walking distance and concourse time at other stadiums. I can find a way to navigate concourses and walk faster. I can't push my way through security. That's the rate limiting step that needs addressing here.

Regardless of one posters extreme anti-AI bent on everything in life, and thus regardless how well these particular scanners work -- the reason the U doesn't have such a system is quite simple and singular: money.

I would not be surprised if MLB subsidized teams getting fancy expensive systems that prioritize minimizing fans waiting in lines, since the displeasure with baseball tends to be around waiting forever for the game to be exciting and to be over with!

I hate the inconsistency of Gopher Stadium entry. We head to the stadium at a standard time, or if we anticipate a larger crowd we will start walking earlier. Despite our efforts, we get wildly different results. Sometimes we are in our seats for the entire 20+ minute band pregame show. Sometimes we miss the first few plays. On more than one occasion my wife has been in the stadium quite a bit earlier than me despite starting even in line (her in the bag inspection line, me in the No-bag line). It is maddening.
Well, the obvious solution is for you to bring an empty Louis Vuitton bag and you're in like Flynn. Problem solved. You'd rock it.

It is so strange.

I'll head to the stadium and get in and realize ... I really could have spent more time outside ... other times I leaver earlier, and it's less of a big game ... and it's barely enough to get to my seat.

It doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom