MN HS State Tourney/ DLS

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
I noticed last night that the TC hoops czar (http://tchoops.blogspot.com/) has started posting his previews of the upcoming high school basketball season. While reading the previews of some of the better teams in the state, I noticed one thing that caught my eye, and that is De La Salle is still in class 3A.

This season the sections have been "re-aligned", meaning that the state has set-up the the sections in every class for the the next 2 seasons. If a team wanted to "move up" a class, they could for this season and next. I was under the assumption that De La Salle would do this since they have won the last couple 3A titles and have arguably the most talented team in the entire state this season. (Reid Travis, Jarvis Johnson, Sacar Anim, Lawson, etc.) In fact, now that I know they are still in 3A, I'm guessing they win every game in the state tournament by 20 or more. I'm sure the argument from DLS for not moving to 4A is that they don't think it would be fair to next years team. Next year, DLS will still have Jarvis Johnson (top 100 in '15) and Sacar Anim who will be 2 of the top players in the entire state.

For this season, it is unfortunate that DLS did not move up to class 4A as the state tournament has been pretty dull since the addition of classes/divisions to the tournament. If DLS were to have moved up to 4A, and a championship game of DLS (Travis) and Apple Valley (Tyus Jones) were to happen, there would be a lot of attention paid to that game due to the highly recruited players in it. Even the couple of games leading up to the championship as anticipation may build for the championship matchup.

Any thoughts?

This isn't the first time that the best team in the state hasn't been in 4A and it won't be the last. Do it like the Hockey tournament, reduce it back down to 2 classes with the top class playing the quarters during the afternoon/night on Wednesday or Thursday with the Semi-Finals on Friday night. Completely idiotic having the 4A quarters in the morning and the semis on Thursday. Also, stop playing in the Target Center if you're going to remove the first 10 rows of seating in attempt to get rid of all possible atmosphere. Move it back to Williams where you can get within 50 feet of the court.

Osseo with 3 D1 seniors and Hopkins with at least 3 kids with D1 offers and AV provide 3 top notch class 4A teams. De is at the low end of the Class 3A from a student population perspective. A number of higher student population schools are playing down in class due to the asinine... Board policy initially places schools in competitive classes based on total enrollment as supplied by the Minnesota Department of Education, minus 40 percent of the number of students that qualify for free of reduced lunch.

Braintrust, I understand that. Point is dls should have opted up to 4A for competition. They are more talented than Osseo and Hopkins. Those 4 would be fun to watch in semis

Braintrust, I understand that. Point is dls should have opted up to 4A for competition. They are more talented than Osseo and Hopkins. Those 4 would be fun to watch in semis

Maybe, just maybe, they like to win championships.

I wish some people, with all of these great ideas on how the MSHSL should do things, would go to the League meetings and present their plans. They've probably never heard of them before. Remember, all League meetings are open to everyone and anyone, even the media who have invitations but never seem to show up.

Maybe, just maybe, they like to win championships.

I wish some people, with all of these great ideas on how the MSHSL should do things, would go to the League meetings and present their plans. They've probably never heard of them before. Remember, all League meetings are open to everyone and anyone, even the media who have invitations but never seem to show up.
You might have more success going to your state house rep or senator. You have no say with the athletic directors and coaches associations who make up the decisions with and for the MSHSL.

You might have more success going to your state house rep or senator. You have no say with the athletic directors and coaches associations who make up the decisions with and for the MSHSL.

You don't?
Ever try calling them?

My guess is the obvious one, that they want to keep winning. Makes the coach look good, the school look good, the players and parents feel good. The way they see it, they can (and do) just schedule 4A teams during the season (like Apple Valley) and holiday tournaments, so they get the best of both worlds.

Personally, as a fan I agree that it would be epic to see DLS and Apple Valley, etc. in the state tournament, where there's so much more on the line than these Dec/Jan games. And you could argue it's better for the kids with D1 aspirations, to be matched against better competition with more pressure.

Gopherube,
Going to the league meetings would do nothing as DLS has an enrollment of a 3A school and is why they are placed there. This is entirely DLS's decision.

Top Bottom