MN Daily: Talkin' to Tubby (Walker may redshirt)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the article:

Forward/center Mo Walker, who tore his posterior cruciate ligament last December and is still recovering from surgery, may redshirt the 2011 season, according to Smith. "Most guys it takes at least a full year to even come close to overcoming [the injury]," Smith said. "You don't want to bring him back for just half a year."

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/27/talkin-tubby

Go Gophers!!

I wish I had a dollar for every time a Big Ten coach talks about how they are going to play faster this year.

It won't happen.

From the article:

Forward/center Mo Walker, who tore his posterior cruciate ligament last December and is still recovering from surgery, may redshirt the 2011 season, according to Smith. "Most guys it takes at least a full year to even come close to overcoming [the injury]," Smith said. "You don't want to bring him back for just half a year."

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/27/talkin-tubby

Go Gophers!!

I know we could see this coming, but this would be a huge blow to the team. Without Iverson, and with only Sampson, we'll be thin at center - or one injury away from being really screwed.

We still have Eliason, so Sampson isn't the only center. Although it obvioulsy would still hurt if Walker doesn't play at all this season.

From all of what I've heard, Elliason has improved substantially since arriving on campus! Although I have a tough time envisioning him as the big bruiser that Walker most likely would have been....

From all of what I've heard, Elliason has improved substantially since arriving on campus! Although I have a tough time envisioning him as the big bruiser that Walker most likely would have been....

He did very well in Canada last year. We can also have our 2 PFs on the court at the same time. There are many options this year.

Go Gophers

Against some teams I don't think there would be a problem with the team going small in some situations with Mbakwe at the 5 and a guy like Williams at the 4. We might just do that to put more speed on the court. So it's not like losing 1 of 3 centers will be a huge hit.

Mo has already lost more than half a season, I'd rather he redshirt than miss another half season. I'm completely comfortable rolling with Ralph, Trevor, Elliott, Ingram, and Oto at the 4 and 5. Tubby really likes Elliott so I think he'll be fine as a back up center, plus Ralph and Trevor will be getting big time minutes.

I wish I had a dollar for every time a Big Ten coach talks about how they are going to play faster this year.

It won't happen.

Actually, it probably will. We have more guards now than he's ever had. The tempo almost by default will have to pick up just from having more guards and wings to work with out there. Got the Hollins', Welch, Mav, Chip, Coleman, Rodney, Oto, plus even our PFs like to get out and run in Mbakwe and Ingram. I don't think there's any doubt the pace picks up this year, at least outside of the B1G. In conference, we all know the game slows, but compared to last year, I still think we'll be a faster team.

Against some teams I don't think there would be a problem with the team going small in some situations with Mbakwe at the 5 and a guy like Williams at the 4. We might just do that to put more speed on the court. So it's not like losing 1 of 3 centers will be a huge hit.

We face a lot of smaller teams early in the season... really looking forward to seeing Andre, Joe, Austin, Rodney & Mbakwe on the court together.

Well, we recruited Ingram to cover out butts in the event Trevor went pro.. well, I would think he could still help cover our butts if Walker redshirts. Not completely the same player, but heck, its frontcourt depth. Add EE and I think we should have fine depth.

Maybe Mo will shed another 15-20 lbs plus add some muscle which will put him in much better condition for the long haul.

Boy, not having Walker would hurt a ton IMO. What's the deal? Did he re-injure or something? It just seems to be taking forever for this kid to come back. I liked him game last season in the limited amount I saw. He could be a dominant center in this league someday.

Means Ingram may get some pt.I don't see why Trevor and Ingram can't play a little together.Don't see the reason for over reacting to the possible redshirt of Mo.Tubby sure couldn't sign another inside player.Frankly I still think were short of guards.And if Elliot can't play a few minutes as a backup center he shouldn't be here.Tubby seems to think the kid can play and until he proves otherwise I'm going to stay positive about him.

I was really looking forward to Mo this year. Too bad if this comes to pass.

I was definitely looking forward to seeing what Mo could do if healthy for a full season, but viewed him more as a luxury than a necessary piece to the puzzle. If Elliason is able to fill in by gobbling up rebounds and playing solid D then I think we won't even miss Mo this year. Plus the three full years we will have him after that will be worth it.

I kind of expected this, if they go small they could go with Mbwake and Oseniek. If Sampson and Mbwake had turned pro then it would really be an issue. They have plenty of options though, Ingram, Eliason, and Halvorson. It shouldn't be a big deal. Adds some depth for the future and Ingram is going to be called on more often now. Changes the need for a big man in the next recruiting class.

This may also meant that Halvorson will get some minutes. He is not much of an offensive threat, but should be able to eat up a fee minutes with good defense, screens, and rebounding. Tubby has stated that Halvorson is one of the more athletic players on the team. He really struggle with his shooting, but he is a hustler.

I just saw the team photo on Facebook, Sampson is sitting in the front but Elliot is the tallest in the back by a solid 3 or 4 inches I'd say.

Sorry, meant the only center with college experience. I hadn't forgotten about him!

Being a red shirt freshman, he should be ready to play. He is also 2" and 20lbs larger than Ol' Samps. We should be in good shape at the center position.

injuries

Boy, not having Walker would hurt a ton IMO. What's the deal? Did he re-injure or something? It just seems to be taking forever for this kid to come back. I liked him game last season in the limited amount I saw. He could be a dominant center in this league someday.

Comming from someone with constant knee and ankle issues, I can tell you someone who is 280 lbs is going to have a lot longer and harder recovery than someone who is 180 lbs. I'm not saying he is way too fat but any weight whether muscle or not, puts lots of stress on joints and ligaments.

In the long run, Walker redshirting hurts for this year but probably gives us better years from him later... if he can get healthy.

This is very bad news if true. Walker, if healthy, would get a lot of minutes. Elliot E. needs to step up big time.

Horrible news. Since Ralph sees himself as a 3, looks like Eliason is our only center. My expectations for this season continue to fall.

I don't want Mo to miss the season, but wow. I can't believe some people already think the sky is falling. Walker sitting out would hurt, but they'll be fine. I'm sure Eliason can play some backup minutes.

I don't want Mo to miss the season, but wow. I can't believe some people already think the sky is falling. Walker sitting out would hurt, but they'll be fine. I'm sure Eliason can play some backup minutes.

Who said the sky is falling? He could be one of the best on the team-simple as that.

Who said the sky is falling? He could be one of the best on the team-simple as that.

This seems like kind of a "sky-is-falling" tone to me: "Horrible news. Since Ralph sees himself as a 3, looks like Eliason is our only center. My expectations for this season continue to fall."

Like I already said, it'll hurt if he doesn't play, but it's not going to hurt to the point where the hopes of a good season start to disappear. I don't follow that logic at all.

This seems like kind of a "sky-is-falling" tone to me: "Horrible news. Since Ralph sees himself as a 3, looks like Eliason is our only center. My expectations for this season continue to fall."

Like I already said, it'll hurt if he doesn't play, but it's not going to hurt to the point where the hopes of a good season start to disappear. I don't follow that logic at all.

Not my quote, but I still think this could be a season changer. Sorry you don't see it. Walker is likely better than the other center options, and I think we will miss him greatly. We still can succeed...it just got a lot harder.

Updated tweet on Walker from Rayno:

"@AmeliaRayno: Mo Walker still not practicing. Tubby said it'd be great if he could return from surgery, but "it may be best that he doesn't play this yr."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom