MN Daily: Nate Tow-Arnett accused in assault of female student

lol when it rains it pours for real. Hope this isn't true, cause hitting women is not something I am a fan of in the least.

Christ almighty....

Well, we're long overdue for some good news, I guess. That's all the bright side I could come up with.

Man the list of this fall's 'scandals' is getting LOOONG. I say 'scandal' because I'm sure some of these allegations will turn out to be false (right?)

Mbakwe
Mckinley
Carter
White
Bostick
Cosgrove
Tow-Arnett

Who am I missing?

Since when is no arrest, no citation...only an allegation by a very very drunk woman newsworthy ???? This kind of trash reporting gives the media the "black eye" they deserve !!!!!!

On the more relevant side, the list of scandals, whether real or not is SO long that it must be becoming a real distraction and time-sink for the coaches. I was involved in an on-campus incident not nearly as serious as any of these in college (merely a prank gone wrong) and I can tell you that there are meetings after meetings after meetings. Meetings with administrators, cops, players, team-members, parents, maybe psychologists, tutors, public affairs, god knows who else. There's also a lot of hand-wringing and time given to consideration of how to respond. This all takes away from time that could be spent actually PREPARING for a football game.

so tired of this garbage.

And please, no more "boys will be boys" crap, or "kids make mistakes" - not when they have almost assuredly been put on alert and told to keep there act together after the previous events from earlier this fall.

Boys, get your f'in acts together or get out! You're embarrassing yourselves, your team, your school, your family, and your fans. Clean it up!

I just posted this in the basketball forum too, but this is definitely a wait and see type situation (as I suggested Mbakwe's case is to Maturi, to no avail.) If this woman was assaulting his girlfriend, he had every right to use physical force to stop her. Self defense applies equally to defense of others in almost every jurisdiction. On the other hand, if she was no threat and he was kicking her long after she was a threat, there could be criminal charges.

I hope it is not true. If he is charged however it will be interesting to see if Brewster will be consistent in his discipline of a star player versus one that is not.

I hope it is not true. If he is charged however it will be interesting to see if Brewster will be consistent in his discipline of a star player versus one that is not.

you mean he may not handle it "internally" and make him miss a team meal or some other huge punishment like that?

Man the list of this fall's 'scandals' is getting LOOONG. I say 'scandal' because I'm sure some of these allegations will turn out to be false (right?)

Mbakwe
Mckinley
Carter
White
Bostick
Cosgrove
Tow-Arnett

Who am I missing?

The board swinger Tinsley

You could probably add Whaley to the list as well. Didn't happen this fall but it did break during the season.

I don't think the two situations are consistent. What Michael Carter did would be far less serious than what NTA is accused of.

27 years old and still in school? A Sophomore?? Really? That's crazy.

2 things:

1. I managed to graduate from the U without a single arrest/charge. The guys who did get charged with things......never graduated.
2. The U should have a zero tolerance and end the troublemakers from particpating in athletics at the U. No excuses. We see what GVBadger stated about UW's policy...I wonder if the Big Ten should have or has a standing policy.

2. The U should have a zero tolerance and end the troublemakers from particpating in athletics at the U. No excuses. We see what GVBadger stated about UW's policy...I wonder if the Big Ten should have or has a standing policy.

I couldn't disagree with this more. A lot of the time, these are kids making stupid mistakes (drinking, smoking pot, fighting, even shoplifting), and this is their one shot at getting out of poverty. If anything, I wish there was way teams could be forced to honor any scholarship for 4 full years, even if a kid is kicked off the team.

That said, if NTA really did beat a woman (when she wasn't a threat) he should be off the team asap.

My understanding: Tow-Arnett was not drinking at this party (maybe the only one and backed up on this from others) ... the police decided not to take any statements initially because everyone was drunk and not cooperating, but the alleged victim talked to to internal affairs and a report was at that time created ... let's let this one play out for sure before jumping to massive conclusions.

I couldn't disagree with this more. A lot of the time, these are kids making stupid mistakes (drinking, smoking pot, fighting, even shoplifting), and this is their one shot at getting out of poverty. If anything, I wish there was way teams could be forced to honor any scholarship for 4 full years, even if a kid is kicked off the team.

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. They can borrow the tuition and attend the U or Communiity College like many thousands of other students do. There is no person in the country (no matter how poor) who can't obtain a college degree as long as they have the interest and are willing to work hard.

The problem that many Division I athletes have is that they don't appreciate the opportunity they have been given. I am in favor of a zero tolerance policy for most intentional crimes, especially theft. There can be no excuse for it. Royce White should be kicked of the Gopher BB team and his scholarship taken away from him. If he still wants to attend college I am sure Normandale CC would be willing to accept him.

That said, if NTA really did beat a woman (when she wasn't a threat) he should be off the team asap.

I didn't say they should be kicked out of school for a misdemeanor. They still have an opportunity to graduate, but I do think it is the end of athletic particpation.

Mbakwe
Mckinley
Carter
White
Bostick
Cosgrove
Tow-Arnett

Who am I missing?

Dandridge, Whaley, Tinsley.

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. They can borrow the tuition and attend the U or Communiity College like many thousands of other students do. There is no person in the country (no matter how poor) who can't obtain a college degree as long as they have the interest and are willing to work hard.

The problem that many Division I athletes have is that they don't appreciate the opportunity they have been given. I am in favor of a zero tolerance policy for most intentional crimes, especially theft. There can be no excuse for it. Royce White should be kicked of the Gopher BB team and his scholarship taken away from him. If he still wants to attend college I am sure Normandale CC would be willing to accept him.

I agree. There are many athletes for whom a college scholarship is the brass ring that gets them out of poverty. But it is not the scholarship that does it, it's the college degree that does it. You don't hear too much about the student athletes that make the most of their opportunities, hit the books and take classes seriously. That doesn't mean you can't party, but you have to party sanely.

But if you take that scholarship, and all you get is a 4 year party, neglecting classes, getting into trouble with the law, being an absolute ass to your fellow students, then there is nothing in that scholarship that will lift you one inch out of poverty. You've alread spent it.

Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. As "Wait" said up above, I and my friends managed to graduate from the U without getting arrested, thrown out of the dorm, or expelled from school. You are in college now kiddos, and your choices and actions have consequences and dealing with them is part of life. Man, I am depressed at the apparent state of the U of M athletics program.

so I guess that he is....

obviously guilty until proven innocent. It's the Minnesota way.

Funny how Doogie wants to be all cautious about this incident...he sure hasn't shown the same restraint in the past.

Funny how Doogie wants to be all cautious about this incident...he sure hasn't shown the same restraint in the past.

i too found that bit of hypocrisy on doogie's part to be funny. also found it "interesting" that the mpls star tribune was all over getting a story out before deadline lastnight about royce white potentially being a person of interest in an alleged dorm incident, but they have yet to write anything about this. meanwhile, the st. paul pioneer press has published an article on this and included comments from the accuser (neena kurian). from her comments it sounds like she is either a prior (guessing it it is now prior as opposed to current!) friend or acquaintance of nate tow-arnett and/or his girlfriend.

Top Bottom