MN Daily: Minnesota lacks strong pass rush; currently 108th in nation w/ 6 sacks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily: Minnesota lacks strong pass rush
Minnesota ranks 108th in the nation with six sacks in the 2013 season.

“We had a good pass rush at times [against Iowa],” Kill told reporters Sunday. “We had pressure on them. It wasn’t the pass rush. It was [Iowa’s quarterback] stepping up in the pocket and scrambling.”

The Gophers’ defensive line returned all its key contributors from last season’s roster, except D.L. Wilhite, the team leader in sacks last year. It also boasts a potential first-round draft pick in redshirt senior Ra’Shede Hageman.

But the group of returners has been largely ineffective this year, a problem redshirt junior defensive tackle Cameron Botticelli said can be attributed to a lack of execution.

“That comes down to the individual players out there on the field,” he said. “And that’s something we’re going to work on and continue to work on and have worked on in the three years that I’ve been here.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2013/10/01/minnesota-lacks-strong-pass-rush

Go Gophers!!

The Gophers are tied for 30th in tackles for loss per game at 7.0.

The first few games featured lots of 3 step drops and short passes that don't lead to many/if any sacks.

I really think Hageman is best suited at DE, but do we have the horses to plug the middle if he is on the end? Roland Johnson and Botticelli maybe? Is Hinjosa redshirting?

I really think Hageman is best suited at DE, but do we have the horses to plug the middle if he is on the end? Roland Johnson and Botticelli maybe? Is Hinjosa redshirting?

I would have agreed with this before the Iowa game, but Hageman lined up outside on a number of 3rd and longs, and drew a one-on-one with Iowa's LT. He did not appear to have a good technical move outside of 'flat out bullrush', and basically just got caught up sparring with the OT. He also failed to maintain his contain once, and the Iowa QB stepped over and whizzed right outside him for a 8-9 yard run and 1st down. It was disappointing.

Top Bottom