MN Daily: Ibrahim ready to lead Gophers’ backfield

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Three-hundred and one. That’s how many carries running backs Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks had for the Gophers last season.

But now that the two elder statesmen of the Minnesota backfield are gone, the Gophers will look to see who can step up and be the new rushing leader. A prime candidate for the job? Look no further than a back who has already had a significant share of the workload: Mohamed Ibrahim.

The redshirt junior was a relative surprise for fans in 2018, but Ibrahim’s success did not shock players and coaches who saw him in practice every day. Ibrahim won the Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year in 2017 for how well he played in practice, while learning from older runners like Smith, Brooks and Kobe McCrary.

Fast forward three seasons and Ibrahim is the back with the most experience on Minnesota’s roster. With this experience, he is embracing the leadership role of taking what he learned and passing it on to younger backs, whether it is protecting the ball or working on vision.

“It’s really good to have Mo teaching those young guys how it should look,” head coach P.J. Fleck said. “I’m really proud of him. He’s not only one of the best football players we have, he’s also one of the best people.”

Go Gophers!!

I think Mo was our best back last year, but I was ok starting Rodney. I think the Auburn game showed this to be true, he is going to have a huge year!

Yeah at Auburn Mo showed he was willing / could take the team places that other backs maybe couldn't. He was gonna get a first down and plow everyone in his way to do it.

My heart jumped out of my chest from my first glance when I thought I saw the title as "Ibrahim ready to leave..." not "Ibrahim ready to lead..."

All this leaving talk obviously has me jumpy. I'm better now.

The first time I was really impressed with Mo was when we hung with Ohio State two years ago. I think he has understands how to be successful without having top end speed. He reminds me slightly of Cobb, insofar as they both know how to be successful between the tackles.

Yeah at Auburn Mo showed he was willing / could take the team places that other backs maybe couldn't. He was gonna get a first down and plow everyone in his way to do it.

I knew he was really good before the Auburn game, but I continually found myself awestruck watching him will himself to all of those first downs. Against AUBURN and all of their first round talent for crying out loud. Really impressive runner. Sounds like he's equally as impressive off the field, too. Glad he's a Gopher!

I'm ready to watch Mo this fall as well as the next surprised running back whoever that may be.

Who are the most promising back ups?
A team needs at least three competent backs to handle the wear and tear of running and the inevitable minor injuries.

A team needs at least three competent backs to handle the wear and tear of running and the inevitable minor injuries.
Can never have enough running backs.

Our RB cupboard is full. I think Ky has the highest ceiling of them all, but Potts, Williamson, Wiley, Williams all have a lot of upside too!

Our RB cupboard is full. I think Ky has the highest ceiling of them all, but Potts, Williamson, Wiley, Williams all have a lot of upside too!

Plus Irving incoming this next class should be electric too!!

Mo will be to the Gophers as what Cook is being right now (last couple weeks) to the Vikings.

We will definitely need a guy to spell him at times, like Mattison. Will be interesting to see which guy(s) they put in there for that role.

Mo will be to the Gophers as what Cook is being right now (last couple weeks) to the Vikings.

We will definitely need a guy to spell him at times, like Mattison. Will be interesting to see which guy(s) they put in there for that role.

Well... except the Gophers will win. Vikings not so much...

They're 1-1, easily could've been 2-0, in my book. First two weeks don't count. :cool:

gKK6Jht.gif

I know that Jason Williamson lost a year last year due to his injury. However I have a gut feeling he will emerge as the season wears on as an outstanding player.

I hope Potts can be the James White to our bell cow.

How about Mike Hart from Michigan about 15 years ago?

Yup - i love that style - compact, aggressive, bowling bowl.

Watching Mo shred Tech in the Bowl Game is one of my five favorite performances by a Gopher in a game of all time.

From what I read one senior who spelled Taylor who will be the #1 and three undergraduates who have to prove they are #2.
One has some experience, the other two not so much.
But I believe the news media has not been at practices so nothing is known for sure except close to 100% of WI's offensive yards from last year will have to be replaced.

Top Bottom