MN Daily: Gopher coaches to travel to Auburn to watch them practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Learning from the best

Claeys said the Gophers' coaching staff will travel to Alabama in the coming months to watch Auburn practice. Auburn lost to Florida State in the 2013 BCS National Championship Game and won it in 2011. In addition, the Gophers have spent a lot of time breaking down film of the Seattle Seahawks, who play the same 4-3 defensive scheme as Minnesota. The Seahawks ranked first in the NFL in total defense last season.

"You better watch them, the way they dominated the Super Bowl," Kill said.

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-f...g-practice-notes-gophers-see-coaching-changes

Go Gophers!!

If you screw around long enough on Gophersports to find the coaches bios it says that Coach Anderson coached WR and Kick returners at SIU for 6years, and that Coach P never coached WRs before his last season at NIU. Coach Poore has spent the most time at QB coach and OC as a coach.
Both coaches seem to be flexible as position coaches. Coach Poore has coached QBs and WRs and been an OC at least twice, Coach Anderson has coached RBs, WRs, TEs, and kick returners.
Based on observing them at practice I would say Coach Anderson is the more vocal of the two, especially if somebody repeats mistakes, like RBs not blocking.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was wondering if it had anything to do with the good recruiting success Anderson had with the WR recruits, didn't he recruit Holland and Gentry?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was wondering if it had anything to do with the good recruiting success Anderson had with the WR recruits, didn't he recruit Holland and Gentry?

Doubt they will ever give a specific reason for the change but I would assume they felt internally that Anderson might be better suited to work with this young group of receivers then Poore was. I don't think this is all that uncommon in the coaching world, pretty sure under Mason, coach Adamle went from WR to RB at some point during his time here.

Maybe not just one reason?

I think coach Kill said Anderson played wide receiver. As mentioned, he has spent years coaching them before.
Speaking of recruiting...wasn't Anderson the connection for Donovahn Jones?

It seems it could be a very good thing. A new approach to the wide receivers might be helpful? And Poore
coaching the running backs, it seems we are hinting towards passing to the running backs more in the case of Edwards and Jones.

That would imply that "Slacker" Poore is going to be dumped on Cobb, Edwards, and J. Jones. I think may its just a move to give his coaches more experience. Poore is a sharp guy, an excellent recruiter, and has no problem motivating anyone. This is win win on every front.

Top Bottom