MN Daily article on the Leidner brothers: One sibling a star, another finds his spot

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Matt Leidner, now a redshirt freshman, didn’t make his college decision without sacrifices. While his brother landed a scholarship, Matt needed to earn his spot with the Gophers as a walk-on.

The center has yet to see any game action under the direction of head coach Jerry Kill. But Matt Leidner said his coach liked the way he performed during April’s spring game.

And he was eventually named this year’s Offensive Work Team Player of the Year for his efforts on the Gophers’ practice team.

So, considering his improving performance, the younger brother may have an opportunity to block for his older brother in the future.

“[Mitch] knows I could just let the defense by, and he’d be in trouble,” Matt Leidner said. “I’m his defense.”

Matt Leidner passed up opportunities to play at Division II powerhouses that wanted his services. He said the lure of playing Division I football with his brother and under “the greatest coach in America” was too appealing to pass up.

“Kill called me and said, ‘I’ve seen your brother work hard. I know you can do the same, and I’m going to give you the opportunity to come here and play,’” Matt Leidner said. “I wouldn’t have had it any other way.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2015/05/05/one-sibling-star-another-finds-his-spot

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom