MN daily and scalping

gopher56

Reaction score
I found this very disheartening when i picked up the Minnesota Daily today and the first thing i read was "Football tickets scalped for big profits." this just irritates me, if your going to buy tickets and just scalp them then DONT EFFIN BUY THEM!!! save them for a real fan!!!!! We finally have a place to call home, a place that we have to defend cuz its not just another stadium that 2 other teams call home, and people are just scalp tickets to get money off of them to any fan. thus giving away the home field advantage....

Quotes that drove me nuts!!
-like this one, this person has 6 season tickets in section 113 and has already sold 4 of them for the badger game to cover costs and is only considering going to the badger game. he then goes to say "I will probably go to two or three games, I have not gone to any games yet, i can sell the tickets to cover my costs."

-this one too, two students have their tickets up for $200 for the pair or $125 each on craigslist. Their reasoning to sell the tickets is a typical Minnesota fan "I have a nice TV that I can watch the game from at home with my friends, I dont have to fight the crowd and i can make quite a bit of money selling the tickets." he was then asked if he would sell to a rival (aka a BADger fan) and he said "a hundred dollars is a hundred dollars."

I for one think this all is just ridiculous and its not happening in just small numbers i think. The only good thing about the article was from Maturni, saying he hopes that the stadium is filled with gopher fans, but there is nothing he can do about who scalps tickets to who.

I found this very disheartening when i picked up the Minnesota Daily today and the first thing i read was "Football tickets scalped for big profits." this just irritates me, if your going to buy tickets and just scalp them then DONT EFFIN BUY THEM!!! save them for a real fan!!!!! We finally have a place to call home, a place that we have to defend cuz its not just another stadium that 2 other teams call home, and people are just scalp tickets to get money off of them to any fan. thus giving away the home field advantage....

-like this one, this person has 6 season tickets in section 113 and has already sold 4 of them for the badger game to cover costs and is only considering going to the badger game. he then goes to say "I will probably go to two or three games, I have not gone to any games yet, i can sell the tickets to cover my costs."

-this one too, two students have their tickets up for $200 for the pair or $125 each on craigslist. Their reasoning to sell the tickets is a typical Minnesota fan "I have a nice TV that I can watch the game from at home with my friends, I dont have to fight the crowd and i can make quite a bit of money selling the tickets." he was then asked if he would sell to a rival (aka a BADger fan) and he said "a hundred dollars is a hundred dollars."

I for one think this all is just ridiculous and its not happening in just small numbers i think. The only good thing about the article was from Maturni, saying he hopes that the stadium is filled with gopher fans, but there is nothing he can do about who scalps tickets to who.

Yea, its shitty, but on the bright side, I bet you there are equal parts Gopher and Badger fans that are buying the scalped tiks. I don't think its just Badger fans buying the scalped tickets. I have three friends (so 6 tiks total) that bought $150 tickets to get into the game. Food for thought....

Yeah i guess your right. i still don't like it though, especially when they don't care who they sell the tickets too.

I think its bad when students sell their student tickets for big profits because the tickets are given to us at such a discounted rate. The U knows that the ticket is worth 50 bucks but they give it to us for 15 and then students go around and sell it anyway, it is ridiculous.

I bet scalping is the reason why student tickets at Penn State, Michigan and OSU are ~$250 and not $83.

honestly if you have become familiar with people sitting around you and notice a frickin badger fan sitting there for the ax game, absolutely give them hell all season for selling their tickets, make sure they understand that they are going to hear about it for an entire year until they have a chance to redeem themselves and actually support their team against a premiere rival.
And for the obvious "capitalism at work, people can do what they want with their own tickets" comeback, SCREW THAT, this is about pride and principle, not money, you want to make money, get a job don't buy gopher tickets as an investment.

Maybe I'm incorrect on this but based on some past posts don't you have to bring your student ID with photo to get in using a student ticket. If so how can a
student sell his/her ticket to someone else, even another student? Would be funny if the purchaser of those two tickets for $200 couldn't get into the game.

what sonnygarcia said. i would not assume it is only becky fans buying tickets from scalpers, but there is probably a very good contingent of gophers fans as well who were not able to score season tickets.

also,

1.) regarding the first guy. it is unfortunate that people like him (guys who buy tickets as a business venture, not because they are even gophers or really college football fans) are able to buy multiple sets of season tickets. would be great if there was some way to eliminate people like this and their ability to buy season tickets if they don't attend a minimum number of games. not sure what you can really do. these people are really nothing more than semi-pro ticket scalpers/brokers.

2.) regarding the u of m students trying to sell their tickets for well over face value to whoever wants to buy them. well, the joke will really be ON THEM and whoever they might sell them to if those people happen to be becky badger fans who do not currently go to the U of M. because when they get to a gate with student tickets and don't have legit U-Card picture ID's to show along with said student tickets, well then all i have to say is: HA! HA! also, i would also go back and find the two d-bags that sold me student tickets knowing i couldn't use it at the gate.

will just finish with saying that any one on here who calls himself a gophers fan and who has or is going to sell his ticket to a becky fan for the 10/3 game: YOU ARE A GIANT F-ING SELL-OUT PIECE OF SHITE WITH NO SELF-PRIDE! :pig:

Maybe I'm incorrect on this but based on some past posts don't you have to bring your student ID with photo to get in using a student ticket. If so how can a
student sell his/her ticket to someone else, even another student? Would be funny if the purchaser of those two tickets for $200 couldn't get into the game.

correct. so really by default current students with student tickets are limited to selling their tickets to other U of M students who have a U-Card picture ID to go along with a student ticket.

AND contrary to what some try to say on here THEY ARE CHECKING U-CARD ID's AND FACES (and will certainly being doing it for the gophers vs. becky game) when one presents a student ticket for use. and to that i say "good job maturi and the U of M". students should not be able to use subsidized student tickets as a personal investment vehicle.

I lose respect for any fans that sell their "money makin" ticket for a rival game that they can attend, but choose not too. Why bother? For any good fan, being at the Badger or Iowa game is a MUST. Plain and simple.

I lose respect for any fans that sell their "money makin" ticket for a rival game that they can attend, but choose not too. Why bother? For any good fan, being at the Badger or Iowa game is a MUST. Plain and simple.

I agree, but I have stopped worrying about the whole phenomenon. Last year's hoops game at Williams was 95% Gopher fans. I'm guessing this year's football game will be 80-85% Gopher fans, much better than the 60% we've had in the past.

Winning will take care of this. The more we win, the less people will want to sell their tickets and the more Gopher fans will be buying...

Minnesota sports fans in general are very poor fans. Witness 20,000+ Packer fans at every viking - Packer game at the dome.

But, this article could have been written about every Big Ten team who sells our their stadium. Check stubhub. Plenty of tickets for sale for all Big Ten venues. If you want to go to the game at Camp Randall next year or Iowa City this year there are plenty of UW and Iowa season ticket holders who will sell you their tickets for $100 and much less in many cases.

Minnesota sports fans in general are very poor fans. Witness 20,000+ Packer fans at every viking - Packer game at the dome.

But, this article could have been written about every Big Ten team who sells our their stadium. Check stubhub. Plenty of tickets for sale for all Big Ten venues. If you want to go to the game at Camp Randall next year or Iowa City this year there are plenty of UW and Iowa season ticket holders who will sell you their tickets for $100 and much less in many cases.

It's true too many MN folks could care less about sports...they're are people I know who have told me they would rather go rake leaves than watch FB...WTF!!!!! and I've met many like them. idk MN sports base just sucks in general...to many stoner hippies.

It's true too many MN folks could care less about sports...they're are people I know who have told me they would rather go rake leaves than watch FB...WTF!!!!! and I've met many like them. idk MN sports base just sucks in general...to many stoner hippies.
I've never really thought of Minnesota as a bastion of hippy-dom.

If people would rather rake leaves than watch football, that's fine. Everyone likes different things. They can come over to my house and rake my leaves while I watch football - it's win/win! :D I love Gopher football, but going to a NASCAR race is right up there with raking leaves for me. I'm not trashing NASCAR, it's just not interesting to me.

And as far as stoners go, there probably plenty of people showing up to the games stoned!

If everyone loved football, we would be building a 1,000,000 seat stadium to hold them all.

I thought I'd throw my two cents in, simply because I have two extra season tickets. I bought them with the reasoning that I would like to have them in the future, but I don't need them consistently now. I truly feel that the demand will stay high for season tickets, and I wanted to secure them now.

With that in mind, I have sold off the tickets for both games...in one game, I did make a nice profit, and on the other game, I took a loss. Having said that, I would NEVER sell the tickets to the opposition, and certainly would never sell them to a Badger or Hawkeye fan. The topic has been broached with Badgers, and I have flat out shut them down. Further, if I end up selling them on a site like this one, the buyer will have to take a ten-point Gopher certification test to prove themselves.

Not everyone who is selling their tickets is specifically scalping them...there are some of us that wanted more tickets long-term, but just didn't have people lined up for every game. I have friends that will use most of them from here on out, but outside of covering my costs (and maybe making a little profit, if it works out) I have no interest in pandering to the opposition, and would take a loss to sell to Gopher fans than to get face value (or much higher) to the Red Skunks.

I thought I'd throw my two cents in, simply because I have two extra season tickets. I bought them with the reasoning that I would like to have them in the future, but I don't need them consistently now. I truly feel that the demand will stay high for season tickets, and I wanted to secure them now.

With that in mind, I have sold off the tickets for both games...in one game, I did make a nice profit, and on the other game, I took a loss. Having said that, I would NEVER sell the tickets to the opposition, and certainly would never sell them to a Badger or Hawkeye fan. The topic has been broached with Badgers, and I have flat out shut them down. Further, if I end up selling them on a site like this one, the buyer will have to take a ten-point Gopher certification test to prove themselves.

Not everyone who is selling their tickets is specifically scalping them...there are some of us that wanted more tickets long-term, but just didn't have people lined up for every game. I have friends that will use most of them from here on out, but outside of covering my costs (and maybe making a little profit, if it works out) I have no interest in pandering to the opposition, and would take a loss to sell to Gopher fans than to get face value (or much higher) to the Red Skunks.

I wish I would have went in after the season tickets were done and picked up an extra ticket. My second kid doesn't have a secured spot, and even though he can come in for free for two years, I'm worried I will never be able to get another seat now. GRRRRR. I could have easily sold the ticket for cost and have a secure seat for the future.

IMO, we have to much vulgarity being tossed around. Can we try to reduce this stuff to keep this board a classy place to be?

Didn't think the "D" word would ruffle feathers-sorry. It is about as bad a word as I have used here. I'll avoid using it in the future... if people can try and spell "too" correctly. I think I noticed it spelled incorrectly three times in this thread alone.;)

Didn't think the "D" word would ruffle feathers-sorry. It is about as bad a word as I have used here. I'll avoid using it in the future... if people can try and spell "too" correctly. I think I noticed it spelled incorrectly three times in this thread alone.;)

Thanks. If someone wants to take on the charge of stopping the endless war against the English language that Bronko portrays every time he posts that would be excellent.

Thanks. If someone wants to take on the charge of stopping the endless war against the English language that Bronko portrays every time he posts that would be excellent.

No thanks, I don't have that much time.

I've never really thought of Minnesota as a bastion of hippy-dom.

Well it's no Madison...but the twin cities has quite the vibrant hippie/artsy scene and god knows they could all careless about football.

IMO, we have to much vulgarity being tossed around. Can we try to reduce this stuff to keep this board a classy place to be?

I agree 100%. You could cut it down significantly if Bronko and SonnyGarcia could make their point without being vulgar which I would like to think that we are all capable of.

i dont know if this article took things out of context or what, but there is no way student tickets are going for 100 bucks a game..maybe for the fadgers but thats it.. they are going for 30 max on the student facebook exchange whoever is buying for 100 is a lazy idiot

i dont know if this article took things out of context or what, but there is no way student tickets are going for 100 bucks a game..maybe for the fadgers but thats it.. they are going for 30 max on the student facebook exchange whoever is buying for 100 is a lazy idiot

Agree with all this. People see one or two listings on Ticket King or Stubhub and assume that there is a wide market at those prices.

All cities have arts communities. I know hippies make easy boogeymen for some reason, however, I'm guessing the hippies aren't the ones buying up tickets and reselling them. Andbeing someone who is not adverse to the arts hasn't kept me from going to Gophers games or from raising by daughter to be a Gophers fan (she's 2 and loves Goldy Gopher, and asks he to sing the Minnesota Rouser to her when she goes to bed).

Well it's no Madison...but the twin cities has quite the vibrant hippie/artsy scene and god knows they could all careless about football.

you are right about one thing.....the arts, theatre and cultural scene in madistan can't lay a finger on what minneapolis/st. paul has to offer

I agree 100%. You could cut it down significantly if Bronko and SonnyGarcia could make their point without being vulgar which I would like to think that we are all capable of.

I am capable of it, just chose not to with you, you're smug and annoying.

The only people on here that shoot back at me are you and trolls (I guess thats kind of redundant); whereas 80% of the people that post on this board tell you where to stick your views.

Agree with all this. People see one or two listings on Ticket King or Stubhub and assume that there is a wide market at those prices.

Everyone. Look for yourself instead of whining. Welcome to the REAL world of CFB Minnesota!

WI @ MN-148 tickets; MN @ Iowa-303; Iowa @OSU-490; Purdue @ WI-331; Michigan @ MSU-283
Michigan @ WI-295 and on and on..........just like the complaining.

http://www.stubhub.com/minnesota-go...kets/minnesota-vs-wisconsin-10-3-2009-766072/

Top Bottom