MN and WI BBall

Goph in Buckyland

Reaction score
Since I live down here in Buckyville and being exposed to the VanderBlue Madness today, I began to look back and think about a couple of things:

1. The Red crew down here herald their squad as one of the top programs in the country. I think to myself, what the strength of the conference during those years(2000-2008). How strong was the B10 top to bottom. I agree with their F4 run in 99. However, how would some of those teams fare in todays B10? With so many strong teams? Maybe some insight from some of you.

2. How would we have fared if Tubby had been here 3-4 years earlier? a couple of B10 titles? Who knows?

Not a dig at UW, just a thought. maybe some good discussion.

Since I live down here in Buckyville and being exposed to the VanderBlue Madness today, I began to look back and think about a couple of things:

1. The Red crew down here herald their squad as one of the top programs in the country. I think to myself, what the strength of the conference during those years(2000-2008). How strong was the B10 top to bottom. I agree with their F4 run in 99. However, how would some of those teams fare in todays B10? With so many strong teams? Maybe some insight from some of you.

2. How would we have fared if Tubby had been here 3-4 years earlier? a couple of B10 titles? Who knows?

Not a dig at UW, just a thought. maybe some good discussion.

Actually, the Big Ten elite teams were pretty good in that time (certainly as good as the elite Big Ten teams are in 2009). Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, and Indiana all made appearances in the NCAA championship game in that time span (2000-2008). Illinois with Deron Williams and Dee Brown et al was loaded (damned near won 40 games in 2004-05). MSU is MSU. OSU had two separate very good squads.

The Big Ten middle and lower levels were probably not as strong as a whole from 2000-2008 as they are now.

Dee Brown was amazing for Ill. He would have pwnd us.

Actually, the Big Ten elite teams were pretty good in that time (certainly as good as the elite Big Ten teams are in 2009). Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, and Indiana all made appearances in the NCAA championship game in that time span (2000-2008). Illinois with Deron Williams and Dee Brown et al was loaded (damned near won 40 games in 2004-05). MSU is MSU. OSU had two separate very good squads.

The Big Ten middle and lower levels were probably not as strong as a whole from 2000-2008 as they are now.

Tubby was 14 W and 8 L versus Big 10 opponents from 1998 through 2007.

8-2 vs IU. 2-4 vs Mich St. 2-1 vs Iowa. 1-0 vs Purdue and Wisky (each). 0-1 vs Penn St.

0 games played (during those 10 years) vs Mich, Minnesota, Ohio St, Illinois, or Northwestern.

Top Bottom