MLB wants its 2020 expanded postseason to be permanent with best-of-3 opening round series.

This was about as predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow. More playoffs equal more money.

I wouldn't call myself a baseball "purist" by any stretch, but I did like that the MLB distinguished itself from the other leagues by not watering down it's playoffs. It's still not as bad as the "everybody gets a trophy" NHL and NBA at least.

No. Ugh. 6 at most. 5 was ideal. Expand it to 3 games by all means, but leave it at one WC series. The regular season becomes largely meaningless now.

MLB is so messed up right now. It's mid-December and teams don't know whether there will be a DH in both leagues or not; no agreement on when the season will start; whether there will be fans in attendance; and then all the rules questions: do any of the 2020 rules stick around for 2021, such as
3-batter minimum for relief pitchers;
runner on 2B to start 10th inning;
7-inning double-headers;
etc.

Rob Manfred is rapidly becoming the worst Commissioner in pro sports. He is making Bud Selig look like a genius by comparison.

No! Expand the playoffs! We need to have at least 8 teams in the playoffs! Better yet we need a 16 team playoff! Too many deserving teams don't get in and I'm tried of seeing Clemson, tOSU and whatever other SEC team...

Sorry. Wrong board. :sick:

No! Expand the playoffs! We need to have at least 8 teams in the playoffs! Better yet we need a 16 team playoff! Too many deserving teams don't get in and I'm tried of seeing Clemson, tOSU and whatever other SEC team...

Sorry. Wrong board. :sick:
Come on! Get ahold of yourself, man!!

MLB is so messed up right now. It's mid-December and teams don't know whether there will be a DH in both leagues or not; no agreement on when the season will start; whether there will be fans in attendance; and then all the rules questions: do any of the 2020 rules stick around for 2021, such as
7-inning double-headers;
etc.

Rob Manfred is rapidly becoming the worst Commissioner in pro sports. He is making Bud Selig look like a genius by comparison.
There's not much they can do on whether they will be fans or not. No one knows. But the rest of it is a disgrace.

Yeah I don't know if I like this either. From a playoff perspective its exciting but the regular season will be far less meaningful. 162 game season will start having stars sit more and more if more teams have shots at the playoffs...especially earlier in the year. It will be a watered down 6 months of baseball for an exciting 3 days of baseball.

Yeah I don't know if I like this either. From a playoff perspective its exciting but the regular season will be far less meaningful. 162 game season will start having stars sit more and more if more teams have shots at the playoffs...especially earlier in the year. It will be a watered down 6 months of baseball for an exciting 3 days of baseball.
I didn't even think of that, but may very well become likely. Cue the "maintenance days" like the NBA. The difference between being a 1 seed and a 4 seed aren't that big. Yes, you would theoretically get one more home game in round 2 if you were seeds 1 or 2, but is that enough motivation to keep the gas pedal down throughout 162 games? I think the NFL format where there are first round byes are the most advantageous. It gives you a real incentive to bust ass during the regular season and try to claim one of those. You are then rewarded with rest during a lull instead of resting during the regular season.

7-inning double-headers;
etc.

Manfred isn't just a Commissioner, he's a lawyer and the owner's accountant. His job is to maximize revenue for them period. He started by trying to gas many Minor League teams. Reading the O.P. link it looks like the extra payoffs is to get a new and bigger contract. Agree with the posters saying that this could water down the regular season.

MLB Owners as a whole don't care about that. National contracts are shared by them. Local contract money goes to individual owners.

Personally agree about how bad he is. Though as far as the owners are concerned he may be the best Commish since Judge Landis.

Phew! I got my Serrano ham today. Touch and go with the delivery mess out there. Amiryt goomba?

Top Bottom