MLB Playoffs

Deciding between the Astros and Yankees is like having to decide if I'd rather be punched in the face or kicked in the nuts.

watched the end of the Padres - Phillies game Friday night.

if you missed it - top of the 9th, Padres batting down 4-2. the lead-off man got a single up the middle. the next batter worked a full count, then got called out by the 3rd base umpire on a borderline checked-swing call. saw several replays and it was a real iffy call.

so instead of 2 on and no out, it was 1 on and 1 out. the Phillies' closer got the next two batters out.

Yes. But we've been kicked in the nuts 10 times and only punched in the face once, so go Astros.
The Astros success afterwards has me wondering why they did it in the first place. Probably because everyone else was doing something, just not as brazenly.

Look how the Twins production after 2019 fell off, once the scandal broke. Just sayin'...

Bryce Harper is a grown man. 6th seed Philly makes the Series.

The Astros success afterwards has me wondering why they did it in the first place. Probably because everyone else was doing something, just not as brazenly.

Look how the Twins production after 2019 fell off, once the scandal broke. Just sayin'...
MLB also deadened the ball after 2019.

MLB also deadened the ball after 2019.
No doubt, that's part of it as well.

I was also referring to Twins though fell relative to the league as well, though 2021 they were still in the Top 5 for HR output. Fell to 13th in 2022, so at least slightly above the mean.

No doubt, that's part of it as well.

I was also referring to Twins though fell relative to the league as well, though 2021 they were still in the Top 5 for HR output. Fell to 13th in 2022, so at least slightly above the mean.
A lot of their falloff is explainable without cheating. Kepler had a one-off season. So did Sano. No Nelson Cruz. No Eddie G. etc.

A lot of their falloff is explainable without cheating. Kepler had a one-off season. So did Sano. No Nelson Cruz. No Eddie G. etc.
I don't disagree, lots of factors. No Marwin Gonzalez either, hmmm....

4 day wait until World Series Game 1. Stupid, what a momentum killer.

I am sure the answer is because TV says so, but they should get the show on the road. Wednesday would have been great. Plus it would have allowed the games in Philly to be done before the calendar turns to November.

4 day wait until World Series Game 1. Stupid, what a momentum killer.

I am sure the answer is because TV says so, but they should get the show on the road. Wednesday would have been great. Plus it would have allowed the games in Philly to be done before the calendar turns to November.
I'd think Fox would prefer a Wednesday game 1 to Friday, but they've never moved the World Series start when the LCS's end early.

I'd think Fox would prefer a Wednesday game 1 to Friday, but they've never moved the World Series start when the LCS's end early.
I know they don't but they should, especially as this event has gotten pushed closer to Thanksgiving.

If one of the Championship Series gets extended to 6 games (as is the case most of the time), sure just best to leave as is, and give both teams a couple day break.

This year just get it on already.

Actually older than 1993, going back to 1968, it would have been NL Winner Dodgers vs AL Winner Yankees in the World Series and have been decided by now.
You mean AL winner Houston - they had the better record.

You mean AL winner Houston - they had the better record.
Nope. My post was a response to GopherRock who was alluding to MLB Divisions and Playoff format up to 1993.

Going back further to 1968 the Houston Astros were in the National League. Under 1968 rules and league alignment, would have finished 2nd to the Dodgers thus no trip to the post-Season. 1st Place meant a League Pennant and a trip to Fall Classic.

Granted there was no Interleague play and fewer teams, so who knows what everyone's record would be.

No. The Astros would be back in the NL West, and the Brewers in the AL West, where they both belong.
Astros are the only team to win the National League (2005) and American League Pennants (2017, 2019, 2021 & 2022). The Brewers won the American League in 1982, so if they ever win the National League, they could join the exclusive club.

Last edited:

Astros are the only team to win the National League (2005) and American League Pennants (2017, 2019, 2021 & 2022). The Brewers won the American League in 2005, so if they ever win the National League, they could join the exclusive club.
You mean 1982?

One reason they would never move the games up: The entire World Series this year will fall in November sweeps. Even though the ratings are a fraction of what they used to be, it'll still be better than anything Fox would put on Friday/Saturday night, including their Pac 12 Football games.

I really don't have a rooting interest in the World Series, but I am putting my modest support on the Astros.

I like how they have responded to the cheating scandal by going out and winning anyway, with the whole world hating their guts even though odds are great that whatever team they root for was also doing something nefarious.

Also hope that Dusty Baker can get a ring as skipper after several near misses.

I like Verlander. At 39 not sure how likely it is, but 3 more seasons matching his W total this year (18) would get him to 300 on the nose. I would guess he'll need to throw 4 more seasons.

I'm also sick of the theme from Rocky.

I really don't have a rooting interest in the World Series, but I am putting my modest support on the Astros.

I like how they have responded to the cheating scandal by going out and winning anyway, with the whole world hating their guts even though odds are great that whatever team they root for was also doing something nefarious.

I like Verlander. At 39 not sure how likely it is, but 3 more seasons matching his W total this year (18) would get him to 300 on the nose. I would guess he'll need to throw 4 more seasons.

I most likely will not watch a single pitch, but I will root for the Phillies. F the Astros.

I just can't because of Altuve. I used to be a big fan of his but after all the cheating I can't stand the guy.

Most of this year's team wasn't around in 2017 but it's still hard to root for them. I like the Phillies team a lot better, it's just their fans are so awful. I honestly just want it to be a good series because that's what's best for baseball.

I just can't because of Altuve. I used to be a big fan of his but after all the cheating I can't stand the guy.

Most of this year's team wasn't around in 2017 but it's still hard to root for them. I like the Phillies team a lot better, it's just their fans are so awful. I honestly just want it to be a good series because that's what's best for baseball.
I totally get that, especially in regards to Altuve specifically. It's a shame, because he's otherwise such an amazing player.

Even while saying I have thrown support behind Houston, truthfully after Game 1 I will be rooting for whichever team is behind in the series to tie or extend it.

On his podcast Tony Kornheiser has been railing on this all week.

FOX reached out to him, in addition to the Sweeps impact, going " Fri - Sat - Mon - Tue - Wed - Fri - Sat " means the only day they go head-to-head with the NFL is Monday Night.

Top Bottom