MLB considering radical realignment for 2020 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

How about the New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies being divisional rivals for the season?

Or the Boston Red Sox and Atlanta Braves?

And the Los Angeles Dodgers and Cleveland Indians?

Major League Baseball, assessing myriad proposals, has discussed a radical plan that would eliminate the traditional American and National Leagues for 2020, a high-ranking official told USA TODAY Sports, and realign all six divisions for an abbreviated season.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the proposal is one of several being discussed.

The plan would have all 30 teams returning to their spring training sites in Florida and Arizona, playing regular-season games only in those two states and without fans in an effort to reduce travel and minimize risks in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The divisions would be realigned based on the geography of their spring training homes.

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

• NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.
  • EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.
CACTUS LEAGUE

• NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics.
  • WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.
  • NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

Win Twins!!

That Grapefruit South Division would be a monster!

I am thinking my streak of attending a Twins game in person every season since 1973 is in jeopardy.

Don't do that. Leave the divisions alone, play all the game in Arizona.

at this point, MLB is literally throwing sh*t at the wall to see what sticks. I suspect they are leaking these plans out to see what the reaction is.

The owners are getting desperate to get some games in so they can haul in as much TV revenue as possible from a compressed season.

Top Bottom