Mixed emotions on Tuesdays news!

Rog

Reaction score
Looking at it as a Gopher football fan, big time.

Claeys and staff can coach, no question about that, but there are two other equal considerations.

Will he be able to bring in top notch recruits? Sure he can "coach up" #2 or some #3 but it takes more than that to win the B10.

which leads to the next question, which is "can he fill the seats? Like Holtz did when he came and to some degree Kill.

I understand Fleck (assuming he is available) can do all three.

I'm sure all 3 of these questions are of equal importance to Coyle, Kayler and even the Regents.

Waiting until late Tuesday is going to seem like forever.

The coach doesn't fill seats. Winning games does. Start beating our rivals, win the west, and the fans will come. This isn't rocket science.

Why do assume that Fleck will be able to fill the seats? The biggest issue with filling the seats is the price tag -- thanks to Megatongue.

Looking at it as a Gopher football fan, big time.

Claeys and staff can coach, no question about that, but there are two other equal considerations.

Will he be able to bring in top notch recruits? Sure he can "coach up" #2 or some #3 but it takes more than that to win the B10.

which leads to the next question, which is "can he fill the seats? Like Holtz did when he came and to some degree Kill.

I understand Fleck (assuming he is available) can do all three.

I'm sure all 3 of these questions are of equal importance to Coyle, Kayler and even the Regents.

Waiting until late Tuesday is going to seem like forever.

Hang in there Rog, you can do it.

The coach doesn't fill seats. Winning games does. Start beating our rivals, win the west, and the fans will come. This isn't rocket science.
You can make the same case for recruiting. The better the on field product, the easier it is to sell the recruits on it.

Why do assume that Fleck will be able to fill the seats? The biggest issue with filling the seats is the price tag -- thanks to Megatongue.

Yep. Last season was more about pricing than opponents. We were told by some that the price increases were needed and a smart move. That has been proven wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt. Season ticket holders dropped and the next increase was scrapped. Simple math right there. Better home games and more wins against trophy teams would help but not enough if the fans feel the ticket prices are too high.

I would like to see TC get extended. I believe he's very much earned that and the team is heading in the right direction. However, whatever they do, please be emphatic about it. None of this middle of the road, CYA BS that doesn't take a firm position or clearly illustrates your full support. No couched language or weak endorsements. For once, be direct and aggressive so we can move ahead with momentum.

I would like to see TC get extended. I believe he's very much earned that and the team is heading in the right direction. However, whatever they do, please be emphatic about it. None of this middle of the road, CYA BS that doesn't take a firm position or clearly illustrates your full support. No couched language or weak endorsements. For once, be direct and aggressive so we can move ahead with momentum.

Wishful thinking. I hope Coyle goes all in on whatever decision it is. That said, I fear that it'll be keeping Claeys, but not extending him.

Wishful thinking. I hope Coyle goes all in on whatever decision it is. That said, I fear that it'll be keeping Claeys, but not extending him.

This is my biggest fear as well.

It's about the only position that (IMO) can't be defended, so I'm guessing this is the route we go.

It's about the only position that (IMO) can't be defended, so I'm guessing this is the route we go.

This would be the absolute worst possible outcome. Not only for the immediate future of our football program, but what it would confirm about our leadership.

Agreed. Coyle barely came out from under his desk during the most recent mess. As a long time season ticket holder I am on the fence about renewing next year under the current cost structure. I think TC Is an average coach and his team lost every big game during the regular season. I don't know that he will be able to get the program to the point where we are beating WI., IO., PSU, NB consistently and that's leaving out the powerhouses. I also have been disappointed in the lack of discipline on/ off the field. Kaler's previous choices leaves me with zero confidence in his decision making abilities as he seems to be only about CYA.

Yep. We're going to find something out about Coyle in the coming days. It's time to s*** or get off the pot. You can't afford to hide in your office and keep things in neutral any longer.

Dude, you're making up for lost time. What is that, about 100 posts in last few days? Where you been?

Yep. We're going to find something out about Coyle in the coming days. It's time to s*** or get off the pot. You can't afford to hide in your office and keep things in neutral any longer.
I'd respect Coyle if he announces that he extended Claeys and acknowledges that he's a new coach and they're going to develop him because he's shown some promise, but the discipline on and off the field needs to improve. The ticket sales and fundraising will carry on and he's willing to stick his neck out there for a coach even though he didn't hire him.

He'd also show me something if he went to Idaho last week and got his guy in Harsin because he believes in his ability to identify good coaches. That would show strength.

Coyle could rehab his image if he articulates that this is his move and he's moving forward.

The Idaho guy didn't finish to strong against Wyoming and Baylor.

No matter what the decision is, the enthusiasm for this program will be nowhere near where it was just 2 years ago. We'll have to wait until about game 6 next year to determine if it comes back at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter what the decision is, the enthusiasm for this program will be nowhere near where it was just 2 years ago. We'll have to wait until about games 6 next year to determine if it comes back at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

I'd respect Coyle if he announces that he extended Claeys and acknowledges that he's a new coach and they're going to develop him because he's shown some promise, but the discipline on and off the field needs to improve. The ticket sales and fundraising will carry on and he's willing to stick his neck out there for a coach even though he didn't hire him.

He'd also show me something if he went to Idaho last week and got his guy in Harsin because he believes in his ability to identify good coaches. That would show strength.

Coyle could rehab his image if he articulates that this is his move and he's moving forward.

Harsin and his entire staff played at Boise St. I'd be floored if he left to come to MN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About 400, 4-5 Stars per year.

About 150 of those go to the top 10 teams.

Another 75 go to 11-20.

That leaves 175 for about 50 teams to recruit. Take tradition, geography, etc. into account it's really hard to just get 1, 4-5 Star at MN.

We need 1-2 more 9 win seasons to move the needle. We're not a top 25 team yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harsin stepped into a program that had won an average of 11.5 games the previous 8 years. He has averaged 10 there. You could argue they've actually gotten worse. Don't think Coyle either found a diamond in the rough or went out on a limb hiring Harsin.

I think Coyle handed the whole incident horribly.

With that said, I still want him to show strength of bringing in his own guy.

The program needs a fresh new face who will raise football players who respect women.

Some of you don't realize this, but women are important and are over half of the world's population.
They are not sex toys only.

The program needs a fresh new face who will raise football players who respect women.

Some of you don't realize this, but women are important and are over half of the world's population.

Which programs exist where 100% of the players treat women with total respect?

Let's not worry about other people's problem when we're leading ESPN with our own.
Let's control what we can control first.

I trust AD Coyle will do that and for once bring respect back to this program.

FTF is just trolling again (very poorly) on this...reason and logic are abstracts to FTF.

Let's not worry about other people's problem when we're leading ESPN with our own.
Let's control what we can control first.

I trust AD Coyle will do that and for once bring respect back to this program.

Who has Coyle ever hired that's impressed you?

Harsin stepped into a program that had won an average of 11.5 games the previous 8 years. He has averaged 10 there. You could argue they've actually gotten worse. Don't think Coyle either found a diamond in the rough or went out on a limb hiring Harsin.

Petersen averaged 10 wins in the new conference and went 8-4 the year prior to Harsin.

Either Claeys is staying or Coyle is waiting for Fleck. Unless there's some truth to the assitants buyouts dropping on Jan 1, there's no reason to keep delaying if it is a different coach that's already done coaching.

Petersen averaged 10 wins in the new conference and went 8-4 the year prior to Harsin.

Doesn't change what I posted. Peterson won 23 games in 2011-12. Was ranked top 10 in 2011. He built that program and put his current team in the college playoffs in his third year. What's your point?

I think all of these players were "raised" by their parents. Unless some of them are clones. Or maybe they were abandoned in the forest as infants and were raised by wild animals.

The players under suspicion were raised by their parents, and coached by other coaches in HS. They have been dealing with Tracy Claeys and his staff for 1 or 2 years at best. By my count, 5 of the 10 are in their 1st year with the program, the other 5 are in their 2nd year.

But, maybe Claeys brain-washed them like "The Manchurian Candidate" and made them forget all the wholesome values they were raised with before they set foot on the U of MN Campus.

Top Bottom