Mitchell commits!!

I still think he is a net positive to the roster. I just don't think he will be a real impact player.

I can be in favor of the signing, but not of how highly many on this board view this signing.
That's a bit of a backtrack, so credit to you for that..

Lots of bad teams in those last 10 games.

I wouldn't say "bad." Most of them were above average for D1.

Loyola Marymount, Sports Reference Ranking #101 (2 games)
Pacific, Sports Reference Ranking #168 (2 games)
San Diego, #191
Portland, #137
BYU, #70
San Francisco, #93
Gonzaga, #9
Santa Clara, #75

Only one of those teams (San Diego) has a ranking below the median for D1.

There have been successful mid-major transfers into the Big Ten who have played weaker final 10 games schedules than that one.

Correct, I hate to get a guy that has started and played in 100% of his games to date and is better offensively than that guy he is replacing (Statistically), playing on a worse team.
Comparing Mitchell's stats in the WCC to Cooper's in the B10 is comparing apples to oranges. Except for Gonzaga, St Mary's, & Santa Clara the WCC is very bad.

He is statistically better offensively as he is getting 10 more possessions a game at Pepperdine than what the gophers averaged last year. Pepperdine was 2nd in the country averaging 76.5 possessions per game compared to Gophers @ 293 (67.7 per game)

So a guy's stats are inflated if he's on a bad team or a really good team? So only the stats of guys on average teams are accurate? :p:p:p
Assists would most likely be up on a very good team filled with great shooters who get wide open looks due to great big man getting doubled in the post (Arizona checks that box and has over the last few years). They also have had star SGs and wings go to the NBA...so his assist numbers and most likely his 3pt FG% is up (thus his points are up) due to open shots...which is a direct result of having big time talent in the paint commanding double teams...thus creating open shots for him...which are easier to make than the random ass treys the gophers are used to.

On a bad team, stats are inflated...Insert Kevin Love on the Minnesota timberwolves.

Assists would most likely be up on a very good team filled with great shooters who get wide open looks due to great big man getting doubled in the post (Arizona checks that box and has over the last few years). They also have had star SGs and wings go to the NBA...so his assist numbers and most likely his 3pt FG% is up (thus his points are up) due to open shots...which is a direct result of having big time talent in the paint commanding double teams...thus creating open shots for him...which are easier to make than the random ass treys the gophers are used to.

On a bad team, stats are inflated...Insert Kevin Love on the Minnesota timberwolves.
Parsing the stats when moving up in conference is mostly pointless. No one thought Willis would be as good last year as he was. Most of us thought Cooper would be much better than he was.

What we do know is Mitchell is one of the higher ranked PG's available in the portal and we got him. That's a good thing.

couldn't one counter and say it makes it less attractive for other guards (who may want to be primary ball handlers) to come here. And we know our roster needs more than 1 ball handler.
Gotta know....are you just super committed to the bit that goes along with your screen name or are you really wired this way......like is the screen name maybe a nickname that has stuck with you since high school or something?

I think this is a good start. Lots of people saying a lot of good things. That said I think we still need a starting SG who can play 15 min of pg a game. Everyone wants to anoint Christie, I think that is a mistake to assume a fr 3-4* kid can do that. I also think we need a knock down shooter. We are lacking in pure shooters on this team.
I think pretty much everyone has been saying this whole time that we need multiple transfer guards. Obviously there is excitement around Christie but most are smart enough to know it is not wise to bank on true freshman.

I still think he is a net positive to the roster. I just don't think he will be a real impact player.

I can be in favor of the signing, but not of how highly many on this board view this signing.
Good lord man....nobody is planning the parade route because Mitchell is transferring here. People are happy about the commitment, it is a good start to the transfer portal process...it is ok for people to be happy about something.....you don't always have to look for the negative angle.

I think him shooting better on 3s then 2s is a huge red flag. He can't finish at the rim. This will be a big issue in the B10. Cooper was a terrible finisher at the rim and it was a problem...this will prove to be a problem with Mitchel in the B10. Teams will see the film on him and adapt. They will force him off the 3 pt line and he will either take the dreaded long 2, or have to finish above a 6'10" wide body in the paint...as we know Payne will be down in the low block with the defender near by.

EDIT...hopefully CBJ will learn and put Payne on the block and not at the 3 pt line up top....
What are you talking about? You’re not a coach! Cooper had way more problems then just finishing at the rim! Only passed to Battle and Garcia or else you could catch him dribble all over the Williams Arena floor. Stop the comparisons.

Good lord man....nobody is planning the parade route because Mitchell is transferring here. People are happy about the commitment, it is a good start to the transfer portal process...it is ok for people to be happy about something.....you don't always have to look for the negative angle.
Doesn’t fit the narrative of his stats

Not everyone needs to be the optimistic view. I like hearing subjective differentiating views on the board. No need to get upset because someone doesn't agree with you.

Any thoughts on (not a specific name) what type of player you want for that 3 spot? I'm assuming a good shooter. How about a go to the hole slasher? It can't be a Battle. Has to be either #1 a better shooter and or #2 a better defender.
Honestly, just guard attributes. I think in college basketball, for most teams, a set below usually is ideal:

PG
G
G
PF
C

The reason for this. IMO, is that the big thing you need is enough good ball handlers, facilitators, shooters on the court and I'd rather sacrifice some size (traditional SF) for traditional wing attributes. There are just very few 6'7" guys who can dribble, shoot, and see the court like a guard. If you get one, yeah, plop him at that SF/wing position.

As for the things you need, yeah shooting helps. Being a ball handler is really important (be able to beat your man off the dribble or threaten it), and also just that you see the court like a guard.

I live within reasonable driving distance of Pepperdine so get over the occasionally for games. I saw them v Gonzaga about a month ago.

Observations strictly from a fan perspective. He has a really sweet stroke from what I remember. He certainly didn't seem out of place athletically against Gonzaga. Didn't seem overmatched as far as quickness against them. He does have a slight build. Seems to handle the ball really well (as a side note I also saw San Diego State and they look physically imposing, wouldn't seem out of place on the football field).

I ended up sitting somewhat close to the court later in the game. its interesting to be down low and see the size and quickness on the court. Much different than watching on TV.

Is sharper image still a company?
Come to think of it, my mailbox has been conspicuously absent of their catalog!

How am I to now what is the best gloved electric ice scraper now?

I live within reasonable driving distance of Pepperdine so get over the occasionally for games. I saw them v Gonzaga about a month ago.

Observations strictly from a fan perspective. He has a really sweet stroke from what I remember. He certainly didn't seem out of place athletically against Gonzaga. Didn't seem overmatched as far as quickness against them. He does have a slight build. Seems to handle the ball really well (as a side note I also saw San Diego State and they look physically imposing, wouldn't seem out of place on the football field).

I ended up sitting somewhat close to the court later in the game. its interesting to be down low and see the size and quickness on the court. Much different than watching on TV.
I live in Thousand Oaks.

Come to think of it, my mailbox has been conspicuously absent of their catalog!

How am I to now what is the best gloved electric ice scraper now?
That’s exactly why I was asking…haven’t seen their catalog in years.

looks like he was ranked 179 coming out of HS. Co-player of the year Bay Area his HS Sr year

He's already played 2100 minutes of D1 basketball (in 2 years)

his dad was a RB at Stanford
Here’s his profile - 25th ranked PG in his class as well

Last edited:

I think pretty much everyone has been saying this whole time that we need multiple transfer guards. Obviously there is excitement around Christie but most are smart enough to know it is not wise to bank on true freshman.
Ben Johnson banked on a lot of freshman minutes this past season.

Top Bottom