Mitchell commits!!

Ok stats on a terrible WCC team. I don't think there is a lot to love.

I like him as a rotation player off the bench. Do I love him as a lead ball heavy guard...no.
Seriously?? You just like to piss on any positive Gopher news.....you even tried to downplay Kerr Krissa as a possible add. You wouldn't be satisfied if we got a combination Lebron/Luka prospect....you'd have to point out their obvious injury concerns. SMH

Stats are a decent indicator but they are only going to tell part of the story. Have to factor in supporting cast as well.

Looks like a solid pickup and a good start in the transfer season. Still plenty of work to do.
Right - Really need at least 2 more guards. Mitchell alone ain't gonna get it done.

couldn't one counter and say it makes it less attractive for other guards (who may want to be primary ball handlers) to come here. And we know our roster needs more than 1 ball handler.
Do you think there are many high major teams that are going to have only one PG? I would think that this would be an issue anywhere.

I think this is a good start. Lots of people saying a lot of good things. That said I think we still need a starting SG who can play 15 min of pg a game. Everyone wants to anoint Christie, I think that is a mistake to assume a fr 3-4* kid can do that. I also think we need a knock down shooter. We are lacking in pure shooters on this team.

So help me out....how do portal signings work? Has he inked a new LOI??? If not, when does that happen? The Minnesota sports fan in me wants it signed sealed and delivered so he can't change his mind. :cautious:

couldn't one counter and say it makes it less attractive for other guards (who may want to be primary ball handlers) to come here. And we know our roster needs more than 1 ball handler.
Wow, you found a negative in his coming, congrats! You could counter and say that, but again, you might be in danger of being one of those people who are "often wrong, but never in doubt."

I think this is a good start. Lots of people saying a lot of good things. That said I think we still need a starting SG who can play 15 min of pg a game. Everyone wants to anoint Christie, I think that is a mistake to assume a fr 3-4* kid can do that. I also think we need a knock down shooter. We are lacking in pure shooters on this team.
There's a certain kid whose mother just got hired by Minnesota who is a knock down shooter.

So help me out....how do portal signings work? Has he inked a new LOI??? If not, when does that happen? The Minnesota sports fan in me wants it signed sealed and delivered so he can't change his mind. :cautious:

Once they are on campus and enrolled in classes, it's generally official with transfers. No letter is signed before. So, likely for summer school and workouts for Mitchell

Routinely happens at other schools

Good start. I won't make any proclamations about how he will be, but I would ask for the other offers he got if someone has them. That will tell you what kind of player he is probably more than anything else.

Agreed. And then a 3rd guard would be preferred for me as we have the schollies available.

Once they are on campus and enrolled in classes, it's generally official with transfers. No letter is signed before. So, likely for summer school and workouts for Mitchell
So until he attends or enrolls in class, a portal player who "commits" can change his mind?

I think him shooting better on 3s then 2s is a huge red flag. He can't finish at the rim. This will be a big issue in the B10. Cooper was a terrible finisher at the rim and it was a problem...this will prove to be a problem with Mitchel in the B10. Teams will see the film on him and adapt. They will force him off the 3 pt line and he will either take the dreaded long 2, or have to finish above a 6'10" wide body in the paint...as we know Payne will be down in the low block with the defender near by.

EDIT...hopefully CBJ will learn and put Payne on the block and not at the 3 pt line up top....
We get the same film. You do tend to think statically. Although you are correct, I think that he does need to improve that.

My positive spin would point to Jaden Henley’s assent. His drives and ability to obtain space started to pickup (well I noticed) during first Illinois game. His finishing was one some of the worsr shots I’ve ever seen taken. However, he was still splitting Hawkins/Meyer, Dainja, and Shannon.

The finishing improved every game. At the end I lamented losing him.

When coaching, you have to start where they are. I think Mitchell from highlights looks miles ahead in the control department then Henley.

Even still, I think this is the thing that likely has to improve most. Maybe along with Core strength that makes the Better big ten gaurds near the rim.

Seriously?? You just like to piss on any positive Gopher news.....you even tried to downplay Kerr Krissa as a possible add. You wouldn't be satisfied if we got a combination Lebron/Luka prospect....you'd have to point out their obvious injury concerns. SMH
How did I downplay Krissa? A) he would never come here, so don't kid yourself... B) his stats are better since he is on a top 5 team, that is reality

Well...Luka is fat (he's ok I guess)

Amen! Hope the coach recruits enough depth that he can abandon that 36 minute per game starter mentality. Really he must try to do that. He's failed twice with the strategy of playing his starters too many minutes. I realize he had little in reserve but he has to change that.
I agree with this more than anything! I am a Ben supporter but my only beef is his not using all the scholarships. He won't attract role players if he keeps giving starters 36 minutes! The teams the last two years needed depth. Good coaches use all the scholarships and players get injured and you have players to fill in. Instead we gave even more minutes to the starters which only makes them more likely to be injured or exhausted by the end of the game and year.

Wow, you found a negative in his coming, congrats! You could counter and say that, but again, you might be in danger of being one of those people who are "often wrong, but never in doubt."
I still think he is a net positive to the roster. I just don't think he will be a real impact player.

I can be in favor of the signing, but not of how highly many on this board view this signing.

Still need a backup PG at a minimum. Someone who wants say 15 min/game and needs to develop.

Or the Pl….. kid from SD who shoots like a microwave. Id set some serious screens for that kid to come around.

How did I downplay Krissa? A) he would never come here, so don't kid yourself... B) his stats are better since he is on a top 5 team, that is reality
You just did it again.....and my original post about him was that he was visiting Nebraska and they aren't in a much better situation than the Gophers are in.

And you argue out of both sides of your mouth.....previously you said Mitchell's stats were inflated because he played on a bad team. Now Krissa's stats are inflated because he plays on a top 5 team??? I get it....you're always going to be a downer (thus the moniker)....but it gets old.

Correct, I hate to get a guy that has started and played in 100% of his games to date and is better offensively than that guy he is replacing (Statistically), playing on a worse team.

You just did it again.....and my original post about him was that he was visiting Nebraska and they aren't in a much better situation than the Gophers are in.

And you argue out of both sides of your mouth.....previously you said Mitchell's stats were inflated because he played on a bad team. Now Krissa's stats are inflated because he plays on a top 5 team??? I get it....you're always going to be a downer (thus the moniker)....but it gets old.
Is what I am saying inaccurate, you may not like it, but it's pretty accurate I'd bet.

Also, he has played with a lot of high end talent at Arizon:

In 2022 alone, these are the draft picks out of ZONA:
-Bennedict Mathurin #6
-Dalen Terry #18
-Christian Koloko #33

This year they also project Azuolas Tubelis to be drafted *1st team all Pac12. They also had Oumar Ballo another 1st Team all Pac12

Last edited:

Top Bottom