Mitch Leidner says yes

Bob Loblaw

I thought Nelson was planning on doing this next season. I think he just got confused on the year, but Nelson had planned on graduating early and enrolling this coming January.

I believe you are right. I do now remember reading about it a while back.

Kill recruits to his system, that is to say he has pre-determined rolls that he wants to fill & recruits players according to that, not star ranking. i.e. He wants a big, blocking WR so he signed Fruchete (while there were dozens of more highly rated WR's, Kill found the guy who could fill the role he needs filled). He wants a jitterbug slot receiver underneath so he signed Marcus Jones (Perhaps he could have signed "better" WR's, but they didn't fit this particular role). He also likes to get guys who're likely to stay eligible & be in the program for the five full years so he can develop them physically & mentally. That's really a key as well & I know it's not the immediate payoff we'd like but if we can field a team of 5th year Sr's in a few years we can do very well against the big boys imo.

It's very much how a team like Butler wins consistently in baskets without NBA lottery talent.

Every coach out there recruits for their system, atleast those that are somewhat competent. It isn't as if his recruiting strategy is dramatically different from other coaches out there or that his system is so unique that others aren't looking for the same types of players. He appears to be recruiting the players that he largely doesn't have to compete against the other BCS programs for. It isn't as if the skillset of Fruchete or Jones is so unique that there aren't other receivers out there that could do the same job better. These guys simply appear to be the best that he felt he could get at this time.

Top Bottom