Mississippi State's Mike Leach touts tryout for kicker after 3 missed field goals vs. Arkansas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

After his kickers missed all three field goal attempts in a 31-28 loss to Arkansas on Saturday, Mississippi State coach Mike Leach asked reporters on his post-game videoconference call to relay a message to the student body.

"Announce this," he said. "There's an open tryout on our campus for kickers. Anybody that wants to kick or walk on and kick at Mississippi State, we'll hold a tryout any time you can get over there to our building, providing you're cleared by the NCAA."

Senior Brandon Ruiz was 0-for-2 on field goal attempts with misses from 23 and 46 yards, and freshman Nolan McCord missed his lone attempt from 40 yards. They are a combined 9-for-17 on field goal attempts this season.

Go Gophers!!

Kicker has to be a stressful job. I imagine not many people want to do it.

I've watched quite a few high school teams this year (my brother plays) and I got the same impression. Kicking has to be the worst position by far on these teams. I get that it's not a flashy role typically, but damn. Seems like if you trained to be a kicker, you'd be almost guaranteed a position.

There's usually a couple of guys on a college's men's soccer club team who could hold their own if given the chance

I've seen plenty of college fullbacks practically kick a moving soccer ball the length of a soccer field lots of times. If I were a football coach, I would hold an audition each spring, just to see what's out there.

If I was a walk on, doing the best I can for the team, and the coach publicly made fun of me, I'd quit. I believe there are better ways to handle this.

Top Bottom