Mississippi State's Dillon Johnson to enter transfer portal, takes jab at Mike Leach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

Mississippi State running back Dillon Johnsonannounced he was entering the transfer portal on Wednesday and had some parting words for Bulldogs coach Mike Leach on the way out.

In a statement posted to Johnson's Twitter account, he thanked his family and friends for their support and Mississippi State's players, trainers and fans, whom he credited for helping him build character and skills.

"With that being said, since I am not very tough, and Leach is glad I am leaving, I will be entering my name into the transfer portal with the hopes of finding a more fit playing environment for me," Johnson wrote.

Go Gophers!!

Per ESPN:

Mississippi State running back Dillon Johnsonannounced he was entering the transfer portal on Wednesday and had some parting words for Bulldogs coach Mike Leach on the way out.

In a statement posted to Johnson's Twitter account, he thanked his family and friends for their support and Mississippi State's players, trainers and fans, whom he credited for helping him build character and skills.

"With that being said, since I am not very tough, and Leach is glad I am leaving, I will be entering my name into the transfer portal with the hopes of finding a more fit playing environment for me," Johnson wrote.

Go Gophers!!
Makes me long for a real life ted lasso

at least he knows he's soft. tOSU would be a good landing spot

True or not, this kid just reduced his number of landing spots.
My dad was never one to give out much advice or have many Ward Cleaver moments, but one thing he said that will always stick with me..."don't burn your bridges".

My dad was never one to give out much advice or have many Ward Cleaver moments, but one thing he said that will always stick with me..."don't burn your bridges".
Conversely, "don't work for a--holes" might have saved him in the first place here

In almost any case, I'd tend to agree. But Leach is such a weirdo, I suspect some people might look past the comments and think "what did he do this time?"
(full disclosure - I really wanted him at Minnesota when they hired Kill.)

In almost any case, I'd tend to agree. But Leach is such a weirdo, I suspect some people might look past the comments and think "what did he do this time?"
(full disclosure - I really wanted him at Minnesota when they hired Kill.)
Forgot to mention, he also added "even if you're right and they're wrong".

Just another way of saying "take the high road".

You make the decision to willing play for Leach. Then you leave because he hurts your feelings.
And you broadcast it. Just stand on a box and scream I'm really dumb and very thin skinned or leave quietly.

I’m betting Dillon isn’t very tough.

Man he took Dillon's comments hard.
Some posts on another SEC forum say the Leech situation isn’t good. Post suggested a major cardiac event and/or stroke. Brain went without oxygen for quite some time. That’s all internet fodder until an official announcement but just passing that information along.

Conversely, "don't work for a--holes" might have saved him in the first place here
Eh, I worked for plenty of a holes in my teens and college years, because I had no leverage to work for anyone else. I’m glad I did work for them because it certainly made me a better worker.

First and foremost, hoping for the best for Leach in his recovery. Unfortunately a lot of clues point towards this being something life altering, if not life ending. CFB will not be the same without him.

Second, Dillon comes off really immature and over sensitive here. I have no doubt that Leach can be a prick, but if the leaked audio was the worst he did, Dillon comes off way worse than Leach. I would have zero interest in having that kid wear the maroon and gold.

Some posts on another SEC forum say the Leech situation isn’t good. Post suggested a major cardiac event and/or stroke. Brain went without oxygen for quite some time. That’s all internet fodder until an official announcement but just passing that information along.
I've read similar. That he had to be resuscitated, but it took a long time.

I'm wondering if Johnson regrets his comments as I agree that he probably burned some bridges with his comments.

You make the decision to willing play for Leach. Then you leave because he hurts your feelings.
And you broadcast it. Just stand on a box and scream I'm really dumb and very thin skinned or leave quietly.
I couldn't help think of Bobby Knight when reading the Leach comments. Kids knew that Knight could be a jerk and his behavior is well documented, but they committed to play basketball for him anyway.

I couldn't help think of Bobby Knight when reading the Leach comments. Kids knew that Knight could be a jerk and his behavior is well documented, but they committed to play basketball for him anyway.
Knight lost a lot of players to this too. A lot of guys who never were on his roster because of his reputation. Larry Bird peaced out on him at one point. He eventually lost his job to surly behavior. Can you imagine Knight in the era of the transfer portal?

Increasingly, coaches are one of the last managerial groups that can get away with bullying at times (not saying Leach did in this case) and those days are probably drawing short in the Portal. Tough love doesn't fly like it perhaps used to in corporate America and government. You can call that "snowflakes" or "empowerment" depending on your views.

Yup. A massive high profile mistake and learning experience. A mistake that was non-existent before social media.
Yeah, know a lot of former players that are very glad social media was not a thing back when they played.

Feel bad for the kid, sure he regrets taking a public swipe at Leach like that right before his passing. No way he could have known what was going to happen but the timing could not have been worse.

Top Bottom