Mississippi State players told the Tech team earlier in the week that Tech couldn’t stop them because they were from the SEC

lol. One of my favorite comparisons, and I believe I read it here many years ago, is that bragging about how great your conference is, is like bragging that your cousin has a big dick. Sounds like Mississippi State wanted to show TT Alabama's dick, but then had to show their own.

It is weird… this SEC bravado. It never/rarely seems to flow from Alabama. But it seems to be a central part of bowl season when it comes to everyone else in the conference. Until they lose. Then it all relates to the SEC grind and not caring about being there. 8 conference games is a lot, for them.

4986040.jpg

Why all the SEC hate ! I get that bragging is never cool no matter what. However it does have programs that win National Titles this century. We have one.

I am in Mississippi and Louisiana alot for work and the SEC fans drive me nuts with all their "SEC" is better than all the other conferences

When the BIG wins not one, but a few National Championships in FB, then the BIG can claim equality.
The BIG like the PAC12 is the best in things that really matter like the quality of education, research, Nobel laureates and the quality of their graduates.
Most of my family still lives in KY and when they razzed me about how KY dominated the BIG in BB I would always ask them how many Nobel prize winners had anything to do with the U of KY?
There was never a response.
MS is one of the worst states in the country by any measure you want to use and MSSTATE is terrible..

The polls reflect this SEC love as do the CFP rankings.

Miss St was pure trash and was ranked #17 earlier in the year. Florida was top ten early on. A lot of bad teams that get the benefit of the doubt and made Georgia #1 all season.

Don't know if Michigan can be Georgia, but it looks like they could.

It is weird… this SEC bravado. It never/rarely seems to flow from Alabama. But it seems to be a central part of bowl season when it comes to everyone else in the conference. Until they lose. Then it all relates to the SEC grind and not caring about being there. 8 conference games is a lot, for them.

It's very similar to all the "Big Ten East is so dominant....lets realign divisions" talk. If you are on Facebook at all and see a post from the Big Ten Conference or Big Ten Network that results in that....click the profile link for all the ones proclaiming how great the Big Ten East is. All Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State fans.

When the BIG wins not one, but a few National Championships in FB, then the BIG can claim equality.

The national title is about how good one particular team is in one particular season.

When judging an entire conference, you're grading the entire roster of teams in that conference, from top to bottom.

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like we're witnessing the beginning of a substantial power shift. I also think there's a chance old SECSPN may have overplayed their hand.

It will be interesting to watch how the transfer portal and conference realignment impact the situation.

CFB Playoff appearances:
SEC (10): Alabama 7, Georgia 2, LSU 1
ACC (7): Clemson 6, Florida State 1
Big Ten (6): Ohio State 4, Michigan 1, Michigan State 1
Big12 (4): Oklahoma 4
Pac12 (2): Washington 1, Oregon 1
Indy (2): Notre Dame 2
American (1): Cincinnati 1

Seems the Big Ten is about as equally balanced as the SEC in terms of each having had 3 programs make it to the playoffs. But each P5 conference (except Pac12) has one dominant team that is heads/shoulders above the rest.

The playoffs are always played down south. How about a playoff game at Lucas Oil Stadium, or US Bank?

Give the southern boys a chance to see how beautiful the North Country is in winter. They could get the opportunity to do a little longer-distance traveling for a change.

I cover the south for my job, and trust me, many, many folks view SEC football as a vehicle to try to minimize us “Yankees” up in the north. It’s sense of great pride and superiority. They may tell you that the current SEC 1-5 bowl record doesn’t mean much, but I guarantee you, underneath that facade they are pissed at those 5 losing teams for not representing the south properly.

Beth Mowins commenting on an Allen run: “He’s bigger than 7 players on ASU defense, that’s how strong he is…”

Seriously, WTF?

The playoffs are always played down south. How about a playoff game at Lucas Oil Stadium, or US Bank?

Give the southern boys a chance to see how beautiful the North Country is in winter. They could get the opportunity to do a little longer-distance traveling for a change.
Yes. I believe the championship game should rotate into the footprint of every conference. Three domes in the B1G footprint

I cover the south for my job, and trust me, many, many folks view SEC football as a vehicle to try to minimize us “Yankees” up in the north. It’s sense of great pride and superiority. They may tell you that the current SEC 1-5 bowl record doesn’t mean much, but I guarantee you, underneath that facade they are pissed at those 5 losing teams for not representing the south properly.

Imagine this scenario:
— Michigan beats Georgia
— Cincinnati beats Alabama
— Iowa beats Kentucky
— Penn State beats Arkansas
— Baylor beats Ole Miss
— Kansas State beats LSU

Yes, I've often thought the same thing. We always have to travel to their territory. They never travel to ours. Frequently, they even get to play in their home states. But, their territories simply are more attractive in the dead of winter, even to our players and fans.

Yes, I've often thought the same thing. We always have to travel to their territory. They never travel to ours. Frequently, they even get to play in their home states. But, their territories simply are more attractive in the dead of winter, even to our players and fans.

Yes. Regarding the bolded: making money always trumps making it fair to all contestants.

Then again, people seemed willing to travel here in winter for the Super Bowl.

Start playing “bowl games” in August and September, exclusively in the North.

With the NCAA’s football authority decimated, there is now nothing preventing this. And they would also be far more profitable events that way.

These were becoming a thing in the 80’s, and the NCAA put an end to it. They would be powerless to stop it now.

Yes. Regarding the bolded: making money always trumps making it fair to all contestants.

It’s the reason the majority of Super Bowls are played in the two major dump cities of the US: New Orleans and Miami. Hookers and organized crime.

Yeah, at least the NFL brings the super bowl north once in a while.

I think coaching quality, especially at the HC position has slowly shifted in the B1Gs favor vs other conferences.
When it comes to coaching (or maybe running a program, which is somewhat different than coaching), it's Saban and then everybody else in the country (at least for me). I think Smart is a pretty good coach as well (at least on the defensive side of the ball), but I don't see any other coaches in the SEC as being particularly better than anywhere else in the country.

Witness Dan Mullen. Everybody's darling (including a few on here who coveted him when replacing Brewster) at one point in his career. It looks like he's going to have quite a scrapbook with postcards from different cities before he's through. Sumlin is another guy who was once held in high regard. Seems that the SEC coaching ranks are filled with meteoric rise-and-fall guys and retreads (I'm looking at you Mike Leach). I actually think Kiffin is a decent coach, but I am reasonably sure he'll step in it sooner or later. Hugh Freeze looked like somebody until his massive cheating was unearthed.

In fairness, expectations are really high in almost every football program south of the Mason-Dixon line and as a result, coaches are on a much shorter leash than they are elsewhere. That pressure can force short-term stupidity and make a decent coach look like he should be handling the water bucket in a Pop Warner league. Witness Auburn. Tuberville was 85-40, Chizik was 33-19 (with a national championship), and Malzahn was 68-35. They were all run out of town. Not much margin for error.

Top Bottom