Misc. B1G Non-Conference Games

Iowa (7-3) overwhelmed Iowa State, 88-76, in Carver-Hawkeye by shooting 13-21 from behind the arc (Davis was 5-5 before missing a three). Iowa led by 22 late in the fourth before the Cyclones closed the gap.

Rutgers (2-8) lost at St. John's 65-39. Rutgers scoring by quarters: 13, 4, 11, 11.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_a56c4f9b-0030-587a-810b-34b44898ccd1.html

Badgers (4-8) close out the non-conference schedule with a good win.

Someday it may not be a big deal when the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team beats UW-Green Bay.

But Thursday wasn’t that day.

The Badgers scored by far the biggest victory of the Jonathan Tsipis era by upsetting the Phoenix 54-53 before a packed house at the Kress Center.

After being blown out by Milwaukee and losing a close game to Marquette, the victory made a statement that the Badgers aren’t ready to assume the bottom spot in the state’s pecking order.

They did it by beating a Green Bay team that has dominated the series of late and is off to a great start with its only other loss coming by four points at then-No. 1 Notre Dame

UW (4-8) came up with a series of big plays down the stretch after the Phoenix appeared to have things in hand with a 53-49 lead with under a minute left.

Freshman Suzanne Gilreath, who led the Badgers with 17 points, broke loose for a 3-point basket with 45 seconds remaining. The Badgers got the ball back after a missed 3-pointer by Mehryn Kraker and called a timeout with 27 seconds left.

Tsipis said his plan was to put the ball in the hands of junior Cayla McMorris and see if she could either drive to the basket or maybe look for a pull-up jumper. And if nothing opened up, Gilreath was in position at the 3-point line.

Instead, McMorris got the ball in the post to redshirt junior Malayna Johnson, who made a quick spin and made a left-handed layup to put UW ahead 54-53 with 17 seconds left.

A quick weekend wrap:

Today: Penn State (9-2) pulled out a win over American 70-65. UConn transfer De'janae Boykim scored 10 points in her Lady Lion debut.

Creighton defeated Nebraska (4-7), 80-64. Janning scored 22 points for the Blue Jays.

Drake defeated its second B1G team, Iowa (8-4), 81-76. Chase Coley: 0 points in 7 minutes.

Yesterday: Rutgers frittered away a 28-18 half time lead and lost to Temple 48-37 at the RAC.

Illinois (5-6) defeated Florida Gulf Coast in Champaign 82-73. Wittinger with 20 points and 7 rebounds.

Last night the B1G ventured away from home:

In Hartford: UConn defeated Ohio State (9-4), 82-63:

http://dailycampus.com/stories/12-19-2016/uconn-womens-basketball-recap-ohio-state

“She’s impossible to guard, you saw that. There’s no shot she can’t take, won’t make,” Auriemma said of Mitchell. “When she gets a head of steam, forget it. You’re not going to be able to stop her.”

But after halftime, Mitchell wore down and the Huskies capitalized. Freshman guard Crystal Dangerfield, making just her second collegiate start, stepped up her game on the defensive end, and the Huskies frequently changed their looks on defense to make Mitchell uncomfortable. The changes worked, with Mitchell scoring just two third quarter points.

“They changed the defense a little bit, applied a little more pressure in the full court and made me give the ball up, which is fine. I think my teammates did a good job of trying to make plays,” Mitchell said.

In Mount Pleasant, Central Michigan defeated Illinois (5-7), 82-51.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...-19/illini-women-go-cold-cental-michigan.html

Illinois’ chance at a third straight win took its first hit in the second quarter Monday night at Central Michigan. Trailing by just two through the first quarter, the Illini shot 26.7 percent in the second — down from 50 percent in the first — and saw their deficit grow to 11 by the break.

Illinois’ shooting woes in the third quarter delivered the crippling blow to the prospect of another win.

The Illini scored just six points in the third on 13.3 percent shooting as Central Michigan pulled away for what ultimately became an 82-51 victory.

In Spokane, Gonzaga defeated Northwestern (10-2) 67-56,

http://www.insidenu.com/2016/12/19/...-kennel-nia-coffey-laura-stockton-joe-mckeown

Northwestern looked like a top-25 team for three quarters against Gonzaga, but the team went colder than Lake Michigan in January at precisely the wrong time.

Northwestern (10-2) faced a tough road test against a Gonzaga (8-2) team that had already knocked off two Pac 12 opponents this year. A win would have been a key résumé-builder for the Wildcats, but despite leading for three-and-a-half quarters and stretching the lead to as many as nine points, Northwestern’s offense fell apart down the stretch after Ashley Deary was forced out of the game with four fouls. Taking full advantage of the opportunity, Gonzaga muscled its way to a 67-56 victory.

I watched Notre Dame beat Michigan State last night in East Lansing. Was surprised to see Hopkins' Nia Hollie in the starting lineup. Was then also surprised to see that she played only 5 minutes in the entire game. (Foul trouble was not a factor.) Anyone else surprised that she hasn't played more this year? The Gophers had been very interested in her and she said her final choice was between the Gophers and MSU. She's not a great shooter, but she's strong in most other areas of the game. As for MSU, I think they'll be a middle of the pack BIG team now that Ariel Powers has left early for the WNBA. Although if you look at their schedule, they have a fairly easy BIG schedule. Should win 4 of their first 5; they play OSU and Maryland only once.

Honestly, I don't view her as a big loss. College game really seems faster than her. I was even in attendance at her last high school game (the championship match vs Minnetonka) and frankly I few Courtney Friedrickson from Minnesota/Wisconsin as more a loss. maybe I am alone here but I would rather have the gopher freshman Hubbard on our team than Hollie.

I watched Notre Dame beat Michigan State last night in East Lansing. Was surprised to see Hopkins' Nia Hollie in the starting lineup. Was then also surprised to see that she played only 5 minutes in the entire game. (Foul trouble was not a factor.) Anyone else surprised that she hasn't played more this year? The Gophers had been very interested in her and she said her final choice was between the Gophers and MSU. She's not a great shooter, but she's strong in most other areas of the game. As for MSU, I think they'll be a middle of the pack BIG team now that Ariel Powers has left early for the WNBA. Although if you look at their schedule, they have a fairly easy BIG schedule. Should win 4 of their first 5; they play OSU and Maryland only once.

It was interesting. Hollie took a shot about :28 seconds into the game and was subbed out. She came back in the first quarter for a couple of minutes and then got stuck guarding Turner. Hollie fouled Turner on a low post move and was subbed out (although Merchant had the sub at the table before the foul). In the second quarter Hollie played about a minute before getting wrong footed by Mabrey driving across the lane for a left hand layup. Merchant immediately subbed her out. When Hollie went to the bench an assistant coach was talking to her.

It was good to see Hubbard pictured as one of the top B1G freshmen.

Purdue (9-5) finished their non-conference schedule losing at home on kid's day, 67-62 to IUPUI. Purdue led by 9 at the half; but were out muscled by the Summit League Jaguars down the stretch.

bball, I agree. I think Hubbard has more upside than Hollie and might well have a more productive career than Hollie.

She may be able to work hard enough to alter her game and be successful, but if Hollie thinks her forward-in-a-guard-sized-body thing is going to work in D1 basketball, she's not going to get a lot of playing time.

Top Bottom