MinnPost has an idea: PJ to the Vikings... šŸ˜±

The list NFL.Com composed was Pro Coaches who went directly from a College Head Coaching job to a Pro Head Coaching job. Arians, Dungy, Parcells, Andy Reid? None of them did.

Petrino did, He went from Louisville to Atlanta. Where he went 4-10 then quit before the season ended. Looks like Pederson didn't have any College Coaching experience at all.

But you had a point you were trying to make. Usually it 's just "Okay Boomer"? :giggle:
Yup. And you think that list is proof positive that college guys usually arenā€™t good pros.
Problem with the article being most ā€œproā€ guys are actually college guys too. Other problem being with the small selected sample they did choose to point out the failure there was a higher rate of head coach success than the league in general.

basically it is a pretty stupid article

Yup. And you think that list is proof positive that college guys usually arenā€™t good pros...
basically it is a pretty stupid article

Nope. Never said that at all. Just another of your fantasy responses.

But your responses certainly have been.

"Pete Carroll is not a good example. He spent 10 yrs in college coaching. None as a Head coach. Before working 9 years, with 3 different teams as an Assistant Coach. Before he got the Head Coaching job with the Jets.

Where he went 6-10 and got fired. Then back to NFL Assistant before he got to USC, then to the Seahawks.

Fleck spent '04-'05 in S.F. as a WR, then was an Assistant Coach there for a year.

Examples of successful College Head Coaches who went right to that job in the Pros? It has happened. At least eventually. Though more have failed.

Found this online. Not sure of the time they may or may not have spent in the NFL as an assistant before they got the call-up from College.Paul Brown is in there too, but different circumstances."

Last edited:

Examples of successful College Head Coaches who went right to that job in the Pros? It has happened. At least eventually. Though more have failed.
Yeah I read your post. This is the specific part of your post or the article that is dumb.

"Examples of successful College Head Coaches who went right to that job in the Pros? It has happened. At least eventually. Though more have failed.

Yeah I read your post. This is the specific part of your post or the article that is dumb.
You should read post #27. There you said: "firstly, 3/8 is a pretty good success rate"
5 out of 8 would mean that more failed.

You'll keep trying. You'll always be wrong, but that hasn't stopped you before.

"Examples of successful College Head Coaches who went right to that job in the Pros? It has happened. At least eventually. Though more have failed.

You should read post #27. There you said: "firstly, 3/8 is a pretty good success rate"
5 out of 8 would mean that more failed.

You'll keep trying. You'll always be wrong, but that hasn't stopped you before.
Yeah. And the premise that more failed is an idiotic thing to spend any time talking about. 85-95% of nfl coaches fail regardless of background if your definition of success is going to a super bowl or winning it.
So of course more failed.

Im not saying itā€™s factually incorrect, im saying no shit Sherlock. If over 50% of college coaches were successes in the nfl any team not hiring a college coach would be guilty of malpractice.

Itā€™s like saying ā€œwe checked the math but more often than not finance majors donā€™t become billionaires better not be a finance majorā€

Yeah. And the premise that more failed is an idiotic thing to spend any time talking about.
And yet you do it again and again and again..

Write the NFL.com. It's their article and their definition of failure was losing more games than they won.

That would be checking the math.

And yet you do it again and again and again..

Write the NFL.com. It's their article and their definition of failure was losing more games than they won.

That would be checking the math.
The nerve of me posting on a board.

Yeah. And the premise that more failed is an idiotic thing to spend any time talking about. 85-95% of nfl coaches fail regardless of background if your definition of success is going to a super bowl or winning it..
The nerve of me posting on a board.

Damn. Now you're arguing with yourself. :D

I like PJ. I think he works best as a builder. I don't see him as a good candidate to leave and take over a winning program to sustain, he rows his own boat. I also don't see him as a NFL coach. Anyone remember Jim Zorn and the Hip Hip Hooray?
Shriek, also known as meatsauce, would self combust.

Yeah I could see him doing pretty well in the NFL. He's got a little of that Pete Carroll energy.
The young coaches getting hired today; LaFleur, Kingsbury, McVay, Shanahan, probably Kellen Moore this off season somewhere are all X's and O's prodigies. To get the attention of guys who make more money than you do, you have to have that ability, even Carroll called his own defensive plays at USC. Fleck's not an NFL guy, that hire would somehow piss off both Gopher and Viking fans

PJ would be an exceptional NFL coach because he's a leader first and a coach second.

PJ, in my opinion, is a better college coach however because he has more ability to put his leadership to work in the best investments.

He's the CEO type leader that can run and NFL franchise, but I don't think his direct impact would be as strong, but he could definitely find his coaches and coach his coaches to be successful, and pivot if they weren't.

He's a transformational leader from that standpoint and could run various companies as well. But college football coach is probably where his influence on changing people is strongest.

PJ Fleck has a perfect setup with the Gophers. The sky is the limit for him. I think we will be okay for quite a while. I don't think at this point that he would jump to the Pros coaching-wise.

Top Bottom